The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scouting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Scouting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Scouting Reply with quote

Ok, got a question. Is there any scouting or trail blazing skill? I'm sure someone will probably tell me that this fits under search, but I think it covers more than search. Things like identfing enemy units, size and shape of an enemy force, blazing or locating a trail for your forces, identfying threats from the area itself, identifying possible benifical elements, etc.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracking
Survival
Search
Navigation

...and there are some others. But those are the most used. Not sure about any skill specifically for identifying threats.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know survival and search both have tracking specialties. Not sure what to use for the threat id, other than toss in tactics...
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are official skills for tracking and navigation? Just stand-alone skills? In which book?

I'd been combining "survival: (relevant terrain type)" and "search: tracking" in these situations. Although I really should work in navigation somewhere, since all I've got IMCs now is astrogation...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said, search and/or survival cover tracking. Not seen a navigation skill though./.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely add Tactics into that mix. Also, perhaps creating a new skill or set of skills/specializations revolving around unit identification. This would cover several areas: Ground vehicles, air vehicles, space vehicles, various troop class recognition, knowledge of unit colors/insignias, etc. Things of that nature, basically.

Also, I would heavily stress Communications and Sensors as highly desirable, if not necessary skills. This would enable a scout to intercept enemy transmissions and possibly decode and re-encrypt them for transmission to command.

Of course, there are going to be specializations or bonuses for survival and Hide/Sneak/Search in whatever terrain they grew up in or were trained in. Scouts won't necessarily need skills in Demolitions or specialized combat operations like that, since their job is to see without being seen. They might opt to get some sniper training in, thereby broadening their possible combat roles, but beyond that when generating a Scout character they'll want to really beef up on their Knowledge and Perception skills.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sniper types would also be better at determining other aspects of enemy threat level, like possible entrance/exit points, weak spots, etc.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now yer talkin'!
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this goes completely against the rule books but I would have to say maybe scholar with a specialzation in military procedure and/ or equipment to determine threat levels. I never have liked the books definition of scholar anyways. I think that skill can show your general knowledge in a specific subject not just how well you can "booklearn" which is the books definition. By using the books description any experienced player is never going to spend time improving the skill because it flat out has no use in the game.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, scholar is all about how you use it, as it is knowledge skill that just plain gives you knowledge. As a GM, think about when knowledge would be useful. As a player, think about that too.

The real problem is that most people do not really stretch their minds when it comes to the uses of skills.
to finance my 'vette!
cyborgxxi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is pretty much like military scouting!! In our game, we don't really use those kind of skills except when looting dead bodies (at special times) for loot. But nowadays, we are inserted into points on bases and such... so we don't really get to use those Perception skills.

Right now, our Rebel Special Forces squad is in a Star Destroyer... trying to kill everything inside and blow it up.

Don't know how Navigation and Tracking's gonna be used in this adventure Razz
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to need navigation in the Star Destroyer just to figure out the maps.

Or slice a Mouse Droid. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: