The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Running Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Running Skill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Running Skill Reply with quote

This is a general question about the Running skill. Example is humans have a move of 10/12. To me that doesnt give the difference of say someone who can run a 4 minute mile and a person who runs one in 8 minutes. How do other GM's out there run this. I know according to the rules that you can go all out at 4x the move but is that a given that you get to go that fast. I have been toying with the idea that players state how fast they want to run and then roll their running skill and that roll will determine exactly how far they run. Let me know any ideas
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamina would control how far you could run. Running is for running through terrain.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We let players decide how many movevents they wanted to make in a turn, and then take a MAP for each extra one. So, yes a person could move at 4x speed, but they would be taking a MAP of -3D to each of the 4 running checks to make sure they did not fall, trip, or have another issue. Needless to say, a standard PC wouldn't dare take 4 moves with this house rule unless they had put stuff in the skill running....which does make it possible for some to easily move faster than others without preventing anyone from having the opportunity to move as fast as they want to try.

And for the previous post, to clarify, running is for how fast you can move and for terrain; but eventually stamina is needed to determine when you tire - it only determines distance because of fatigue...running would still determine your velocity / speed at which you moved.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question of the rules reflecting the person that can run a 4 minute mile, and the other one who runs 8.

10 move is 10 meters a round standard speed. 40 meters a round for running flat out. Average 2d to run, on running track, this is accomplished without incident. 2d to stamina, at 4x running speed there is also 4x the difficulty to fatigue rolls, he will not be able to consistently make 20, 40, than 60, to keep running. He will have to either take breaks, or run at only 2x speed. Normally fatigue rolls are made every 4 rounds, 20 seconds, that is a third of a minute.
Now, after a few calculations, this means that the average person with minimum move rating would be able to make a 1000 meters in, about 5 minutes. That'd make it a ten minute mile.

Proffessionally trained runner.
12 move. 4d to his running and stamina. Crap man, you can figure out how well he can do.
to finance my 'vette!
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1600 meters is a mile by my calculations. That is why the 1600 meters is such a big track event.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, taking the rules as I see them, the move, running, and stamina skills all combined can be used to accurately reflect the diffrence between the average man and an olympic runner.
to finance my 'vette!
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Boomer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: