The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Radiation damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Radiation damage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Radiation damage Reply with quote

How much damage does radiation do. From simple power plant blows to neutron bombardment. Anything that you guys can get me (writen and advice) would be great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am wondering about this. All I know of is the little blurb mentioned about the RAD Trooper about going into radioactive environments after nuclear and neutron bombardment.

This is very impoertant stuff, and can affect the outcome of certain battles if it is truly a standard enough imperial tactic to have an entire Storm Trooper division devoted to it.
to finance my 'vette!
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In classic d6 Star Wars style, I will make something up by he seat of my pants.

Assign the radiation a damage level. Every time increment, the players must make a stamina and strength roll.
Failure of stamina means the radiation is causing him to become fatigued, inccur a penalty as you see fit. Say normal fatigue rules, or perhaps a stun result.
Failure of strength means the radiation is doing damage to the PCs body. Radiation damage requires special stuff to repair, and takes longer to heal. Double the time needed to heal. If damage is Wounded Twice or worse, the PC can only worsen in contition unless they receive special medical attention.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
In classic d6 Star Wars style, I will make something up by he seat of my pants.

Assign the radiation a damage level. Every time increment, the players must make a stamina and strength roll.
Failure of stamina means the radiation is causing him to become fatigued, inccur a penalty as you see fit. Say normal fatigue rules, or perhaps a stun result.
Failure of strength means the radiation is doing damage to the PCs body. Radiation damage requires special stuff to repair, and takes longer to heal. Double the time needed to heal. If damage is Wounded Twice or worse, the PC can only worsen in contition unless they receive special medical attention.

I am in agreement with Argomoth in general. But, for more precise guidelines, let me share what I do know of radiation:

The normal doses of radiation are measured in millirads, with 20-30 millirads being considered the high end of "background" radiation. General radiation exposure is acrued in doses over a specified time frame, let's say every round (5 seconds) for simplicity. Once you start talking about taking doses in actual RADS you are in serious trouble. The human body can acrue a significant amount of radiation exposure in millirads over prolonged periods, as long as exposure isn't continuous, or all at once. The Human body can only withstand very short exposure to Rads. For exposure in the low millirad range (below 100) I would track every 6 rounds, with a damage scale starting at 1D for 50 millirads, and increasing by 1D for every doubling of millirads.
For exposure in Rads the imediate effects are much more serious, and I would track every round. I would start the damage scale at 1D for 1-5 Rads and increase it by 1D for each doubling of Rads. Radiation protective gear should provide "soak" for this just as armor for normal wounds...but armor that is unshielded to radiation will not help at all.
The average Human can withstand 50 Rads (total acrued radiation) before serious damage occours.
Sample Radiation Exposure:
Nuclear Leak: 1-10 Rads per Round
Solar Flare: 10 Rads per Hour (166 Millirads/minute, 14millirads/turn)
Background Noise: 1-6 millirads per hour

In real life, radiation effects acrue with exposure, and at about 50 Rads of total acrued exposure, a human starts to suffer serious long term effects, genetic damage, and illness. absorbing 100
Rads or more is certain to cause serious helth problems, mutations in offsprings, etc. Also, absorbing higher doses over shorter times has more serious effects.

Hope this helps.

*Special Thanks to Cyberpunk:Deep Space for additional insight.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Empire doesn't appear to have nuclear weapons; at least none were shown or mentioned during any of the movies. (The proton torpedo may be nuclear.)

So radiation rules would appear to be limited to stellar/enviornmental radiation, industrial accidents, and accidents aboard starships. I would guess their power plants are nuclear or anti-matter reactors.

I could write a chart and some rules which would show the effects of radiation exposure in game terms, list some sources, and medical treatments. But it is quite a complicated subject.

Are others interested in such house rules?
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i would be interested in some form of rules for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. There is a Frikin RAD Trooper for this, and they mention the empire using irradiation weapons. So could someone please, please, just get the rules for radiation and the empire's neturon warheads and other such devices.
Make up something, that is what I am trying to do. There have been great suggestions here, but if all we have heard in the RAD Trooper description is undefined than this becomes more than just good suggestion, it becomes all we have to stand on in the context of RAD Warfare.
to finance my 'vette!
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Empire uses turbolasers instead of nukes, because Turbolasers have more penetration power and are more reusable and don't have fallout. A turbolaser bombardment can wipe out a city in an hour, why deal with the mess of nukes?

Oh. And Nukes can't penetrate shields. In the new books, the Joiner bugs or whatever use nukes for space battles. Not very effective. Not surprising, since conventional nukes can't penetrate underground bunkers and such, thus why things like bunkerbusters are designed.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cute... very cute. Yes, nukes create radioactive fallout as a side effect.
I am asking about radiation as THE effect. Like a Neutron Bomb. Nothing but pure radiation, no thermonuclear detonation. Why is this so hard for people to understand.

And yes, the empire does use nukes. Mainly against primitive worlds that are affected by them. It is meant as a terror weapon.
A Thermal Detonator is also a micro nuke.
And I have rules for capital scale city destroying nukes.

But what about Neutron Bombs and other pure irradiation weaponry? Does anyone have any official rules on it, yea or nea?
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically posted house rules for radiation above, relatively thouroughly too, some converted from Cyberpunk Deep Space. All you would need to do is determine the radiation of the device you wish to use. A radiation based weapon would have a damage rating, just like any weapon, only this damage represents Hard Radiation for direct exposure. An atomic detonation itself can produce widely varrying doses of radiation from 500 to 3000 RADS in the initial burst. For such weapons, determine a damage level for their initial exposure, and apply effects.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are any official rules.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry for flying off the handle...

But, basically, it would seem there are no rules for radiation weapons. So I am just going to wing it. I thank all for their house rules on it.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: