The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modifiers for Two Weapons?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Modifiers for Two Weapons?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Modifiers for Two Weapons? Reply with quote

Hey!

I have been looking at the boards this morning and I see several people quoting when using two weapons, you get a -1D to primary hand and a -2D for your off hand.

Is this an actual rule or a widely accepted house rule?

Stule
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes something like this:

-1D because of off hand, -1D because of two actions in a round.

This, -2D to the off hand, and -1D to the regular hand.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone please tell me if this -1D to off-hand is an official rule? I never saw it.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think an ampidexterous character would have to worry about it since they would have no off hand. I'm trying to find it in the second edition revised and expanded, but if it's offical, it could have been in one of the other books.

Wanted Poster
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's official, I'm thinking it's most likely 1st Edition. I read the other 2 book pretty throughly....
Allembrande
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So rather than subtracting one die from each action, a character has a higher penalty for using both hands. I wondered at that too. I know that it is easier to use two weapons than to use one twice as fast. Is there no rule anywhere?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official...from the first edition.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I wanted to say this was a first edition rule as well. I clearly remember reading it somewhere when I first started playing, and have always used the -1D penalty for off handed uses, as it is common sense. I just finished checking my rule book, as I wanted to post the page referencing it, but can not seem to find it. It may lay burried somewhere obscure in the 1st edition Rules, or one of the 3 1st edition sourcebooks. I did not have the Rules Companion until very recently, so I know that is not where I read it, but that book may still have a reference for it.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, almost forgot the other point I wanted to make. It's not exactly easier to use 2 weapons at once, but on the good side, you can take both shots simultaneously. Their are inherent advantages to that alone. I'd say if a character wanted to be ambidextrous, they should pay a reasonable fee (-1D starting die for skills, or 10 CP) and they would be able to ignore off handed use.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point (about the simo taking of both shots). Also, one of the other advantages to using 2 weapons, is that some have a limited Rate of Fire (like the heavy pistol, or thunderer heavy). Using 2 weapons allows you to get more shots in without burning the weapon up (or violating the rof).

As to the -1d for off hand. I do remember that from one of the first edition books, but cannot remember which book, and what page. I have never seen it for second edition (or revised) other than as a house rule.
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a character in our group that uses two specific weapons in conjunction with eachother, and has it as a specialization under melle (type of martial art). When using this, they don't get the off hand penalty, gets a free parry, but still suffers from other multiple actions (attacking with both weapons is still two attacks).
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahlorn wrote:
We have a character in our group that uses two specific weapons in conjunction with eachother, and has it as a specialization under melle (type of martial art). When using this, they don't get the off hand penalty, gets a free parry, but still suffers from other multiple actions (attacking with both weapons is still two attacks).

Yes, I have created a set of elaborate house rules for dual weapons, as it seems to be all the rage these days. With melee weapons, I allow for one weapon to be used for full parrying, while the other may still attack, superceding the normal rules, but I still apply MAPs and off-handed use. I essentially created a set of Advanced skills called Dual Weapon which serve to offset the offhanded and MAP penalty, the requirement of course is the base weapon skill must be above 5D. So far they seem to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: