The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A proposal for a Rescue vessel concept
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> A proposal for a Rescue vessel concept
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: A proposal for a Rescue vessel concept Reply with quote

I was considering a vessel the other day, but I am unaware if such a vessel exists already. A character I am devising is a Tramp Freighter Captain who dabbles in a bit of salvage. As a result, your typical YT class freighter doesn't seem appropriate. So I speculated what kind of vessel would be required and what elements of a backstory would develop.

I would prefer a specialized vessel as opposed to just a converted stock vessel but I'm willing to take suggestions.

I settled on a decommissioned rescue vessel from the old Republic era, a vessel capable of docking with other ships, to allow medical or repair teams to board and lend aid. Onboard would be medical facilities and Medical droids so it would act as an Ambulance/Hospital.

If a vessel could not be repaired, it could be towed by the ship thanks to very strong variable thrust engines, clamps, and tractor beams.

The vessel could land on planets as well to take patients/ survivors to medical facilities etc.

Anyway, post decommissioning the vessel fell into private hands has had all but one medical droid stripped out, and no longer has medical facilities apart for use by crew/passengers. It can carry a lot of cargo, and due to variable thrust engines, it can still move very fast or haul salvaged vessels like a tugboat. It still has a solid, if older model X2 Hyperdrive, some Hull armor, and some weapons, just a tad heavier than the ones it was initially fit with during its service days.

The vessel would be approximately 45-60 years old by 0 BBY so may creak a bit.

Basically, that's what have, my fellow Pit Dwellers. Any suggestions?
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say the Gozanti class cruiser looks interesting if a bit large for my purposes.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest a modified landing craft.

most of the resoning is the ability to land, and the basically large open speces that can be easily adapred to savage and even search & rescue as in a "space ambulance" setting.

if you have sometine large enough like the sentinel or antying really in the same size range I would say is a great shp, also becuse of the fairly low crew requirements for player groups.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say check out the GS-100 Salvage ship.

Might be a bit too big - but that should give you some ideas.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/GS-100_salvage_ship
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting but definitely a bit too large. I like the rounded front.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren’t any stats for it, but ECHenry’s Corellian Tugship might work in a rescue/salvage roll.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EC does make nice stuff, I adore the Kypirin Renegade
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
There aren’t any stats for it, but ECHenry’s Corellian Tugship might work in a rescue/salvage roll.

I looked and I prefer the Corellian Tractor Transport design I believe you speculated the EVA Rescue Pod used the same design, which fits in with my Rescue/salvage vessel idea. I'll admit it is not quite how I pictured the vessel, I pictured it more in line with a smaller Gozanti, GR-75, or even a variant of the Skyhopper-Class Courier Ship you started up. But this Corellian Tractor Transport, the Corellian Tugship, and pods from the Rebel Fuel Tanker design won me over. It also invokes the escape pod from ANH.

So I looked to the real world for something and came up with a common basic design platform like the Volkswagen Transporter series of vans. The same series is utilized as vans for commercial uses but is also used by the NHS, Britain's Medical services as Ambulances, by Law enforcement services as Police vans, or even as people carriers or camper vans.

The commonality of parts, lots of aftermarket add-ons by CEC or 3rd parties, adapter kits and you can see why this Corellian Transport Pod is a popular design. So it could work as a Tractor Transport and/ or an EVA Rescue Pod, with a multitude of possible uses depending on configuration.

If you still have your EVA Rescue Pod stats, I'd be interested to see them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to rework the stats for the “Tanker” based on the Tractor. Right now, the Tanker is written with two attachment points for pods, one on either side. The alternate configuration I want to do is a tandem attachment system on either side, so the Freighter can mount four of the pod modules from the Tractor, one facing fore and aft on either side of the main hull. This would hugely expand the modularity of the Tanker by allowing it to fit a variety of different mission configuration modules, depending on the preference of the owner/crew.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Tractor Transport, I’m thinking the “stretched” version with the middle pod section might best suit your purposes, with a bow pod fitted as a rescue section, then a central section that can serve as passenger or cargo transport as needed. Of course, the additional middle section would cut into performance…

Glelukun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The broad outline of your initial specs puts me in mind of the VR-10 Cuirilla-Rayl Xylines-class spacetug - it's not perfect, the stock design being intended for in-system use, but maybe it has a higher spec close cousin. Smile There are stats for a modified VR-10 with hyperdrive and weaponry in The Abduction of Crying Dawn Singer adventure.

I thought of it because my group ran the adventure recently, and we had fun using the tractor beams to play TIE fighter billiards as we made our escape.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: The Headless Klingon Reply with quote

It's an interesting shape! Like a Klingon ship's head/command section.
It is one i find fun to mod! i've done a few & will do a few more!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: