The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Andor's Evading a Tractor Beam Tactic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Andor's Evading a Tractor Beam Tactic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Andor's Evading a Tractor Beam Tactic Reply with quote

So how would you replicate what Luthen did (in the show Andor) to evade the custom ship's tractor beam in D6 game mechanics?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen it. BUT i'd maybe make it an opposed tactics roll.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Andor's Evading a Tractor Beam Tactic Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
So how would you replicate what Luthen did (in the show Andor) to evade the custom ship's tractor beam in D6 game mechanics?

he did not 'evade" it - he had a device which took it out.

Make a piece of gear - tractor beam counter measures.
Have it do damage based on the strength of the tractor beam.
Give it limited ammo.
If it does damage, then any systems damage rolls - automatically apply to tractor beam, etc.

That was why he tried to look like he was running - so they would increase the strength of the tractor - and when they did - bam.

for those who have not seen it - andor is amazing - and this scene in reference - is really good....

I was going to describe it ...but just watch it.
https://youtu.be/huaLZqb46aE
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean 'evade' as in dodging. I mean it in the sense of escaping the nasty consequences of said tractor beam.

Excellent suggestion, pakman. Upon rewatching it (thanks for posting a link!), I think you're right. It's like he wants them to think he's trying to break out by overpowering their tractor beam. Makes me wonder if some ships are actually able to do that (have their thrust outmuscle the strength of the tractor beam, thus allowing them to get away)?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

Excellent suggestion, pakman. Upon rewatching it (thanks for posting a link!), I think you're right. It's like he wants them to think he's trying to break out by overpowering their tractor beam. Makes me wonder if some ships are actually able to do that (have their thrust outmuscle the strength of the tractor beam, thus allowing them to get away)?

You are correct. Near the beginning he asks what the "tractor foce" is - and the answer is a 2. Lafter, after the "countermeasures" have been charged a bit more (the scene is edited - some parts are cut out for length) - he increases his thrust, and the arrestor goes to "tractor force up 5".

Then he launches the countermeasures..... totally cool.

As far as if a ship could get away - does not look like it in the movies - although han seemed to think "lock in the auxiliar power" might help.

The rules for resisting tractor beams are on reup page 136
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've addressed this previously here, here, and here, as well as having previously made stats for a kinetic bombard missile.

I think pakman nails the key points I was going for. It's basically a niche weapon that works best against tractor beams at point blank range, either within a target's shield perimeter or at the point where the target has dropped its shields in order to reel the captured ship into a docking bay. I also think something like this would have little or no weapons signature, and thus would be much harder to detect on sensors.

I included kinetic bombards being less effective against shields (-4D to Damage) in the above stat, which is a decent balancing effect to keep weapons like this from being in more common usage.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: