The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gravitational Waves in Science Fiction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Gravitational Waves in Science Fiction Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Well, if you have a concept house rule for a better system, feel free to post it. Until then, I’ll keep trying to come up with some sort of justification as to the system we already have.

Out of curiosity, what do we need justification for?

I think the current system IS justified - at least from my perspective.

(again, I disagree with the premise that 100% of the galaxy is accurately mapped, and therefore hyperjumps should be easily made from anywhere to anywhere).

if there is a gap, in your perspective CRM, I would like to understand - I am sure we can come up with something...

I agree. Why this obsession with house ruling everything? From my perspective it looks as if you're trying to create a new game system, without creating a new system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My position has been stated in some detail earlier in this topic, but to summarize, I think that the “off-route” space on the hyperdrive route map is littered with obstacles that impede the proliferation of new routes. In the past, the route map has been compared to an interstate highway map, which makes a lot of sense, save that the routes are data-based, not paved roads, and are maintained by BoSS Flight Recorder Data->Navcomputer Update Loop I’ve proposed elsewhere, with heavily traveled routes being in the best condition, while lesser routes fall into varying degrees of “disrepair” due to data neglect. However, something to bear in mind is that the shape of the interstate map is largely dictated by geography, in that the meandering of a road (as opposed to a straight line) is almost always because the road has to be routed around some terrain feature like a mountain range, or because the easiest route with the gentlest grades runs down a river valley or some such. However, since there is no “geography” in space, my premise is that there are other obstacles, mainly affecting hyperspace only, that have forced the map to settle on its current form.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtanzer wrote:
Why this obsession with house ruling everything? From my perspective it looks as if you're trying to create a new game system, without creating a new system.
I’m long past the point where I feel the need to justify my interests to anyone else. If you don’t like my house rules or concepts, don’t use them.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My position has been stated in some detail earlier in this topic, but to summarize, I think that the “off-route” space on the hyperdrive route map is littered with obstacles that impede the proliferation of new routes. In the past, the route map has been compared to an interstate highway map, which makes a lot of sense, save that the routes are data-based, not paved roads, and are maintained by BoSS Flight Recorder Data->Navcomputer Update Loop I’ve proposed elsewhere, with heavily traveled routes being in the best condition, while lesser routes fall into varying degrees of “disrepair” due to data neglect.

This verbatum matches my perception
- with the only addendum of lesser routes not just being data neglect - but just not as many reliable data readings, compared to heavier travelled routes.

So overall - agree with only minor variations.

Now, if I could figure out how much fuel hyper space jumps cost.....but as they say, that is a differnt topic...

CRMcNeill wrote:

However, something to bear in mind is that the shape of the interstate map is largely dictated by geography, in that the meandering of a road (as opposed to a straight line) is almost always because the road has to be routed around some terrain feature like a mountain range, or because the easiest route with the gentlest grades runs down a river valley or some such. However, since there is no “geography” in space, my premise is that there are other obstacles, mainly affecting hyperspace only, that have forced the map to settle on its current form.

I agree with this analogy - with only one caveat - I think we don't need as many hyperspace obstacles - due to the speeds involved and difficlt to chart objects (brown dwarfs, rogue planets, etc.).

But I think some hyperspace ananomolies are fine - could even call them gravity currents or some kind of dark energy (we do not eactly understand the mechanism that holds super clusters together for example).

Do we need rules on all of these? that is up to each gm - to me, just the explanation is adequate - although a gravity wave is a fun idea on that it could make a ship go faster - a tailwind so to speak.

But as far as just popping out new routes as needed without scouting - I feel that and all the spaces between the routes - data is missing or indaequate - hence why "scouting" and mapping new routes is a thing (galaxy guide 8 talks about this).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
This verbatum matches my perception
- with the only addendum of lesser routes not just being data neglect - but just not as many reliable data readings, compared to heavier travelled routes.

“Data neglect” was a euphemism I chose to emphasize the road map analogy. On a physical road, neglect takes the form of rough surfaces, potholes, etc, but on a data-based route, the neglect takes the form of insufficient data to maintain a clear picture of said route, making it more difficult to astrogate. Theoretically, the BoSS or some other interested power could send out survey probes that do nothing but traverse a given route back and forth repeatedly, increasing the data pool for that route, but that would cost time and credits, and they could only afford to do that for routes that are important in spite of low traffic.

Quote:
Now, if I could figure out how much fuel hyper space jumps cost.....but as they say, that is a differnt topic...

The closest official answer to that is the Fuel Cell rules in 1E Tramp Freighters (removed for 2E). However, this has been discussed previously here. Subsequent posts discuss how the linked post is modified from the RAW, and my own updated version.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
I agree with this analogy - with only one caveat - I think we don't need as many hyperspace obstacles - due to the speeds involved and difficlt to chart objects (brown dwarfs, rogue planets, etc.).

That’s fine. “Littered with obstacles” just means there’s enough out there that spacers know to tread very carefully when going off the known routes.

Quote:
But I think some hyperspace ananomolies are fine - could even call them gravity currents or some kind of dark energy (we do not eactly understand the mechanism that holds super clusters together for example).

I would greatly appreciate your expanded thoughts on this in the Obstacles in Hyperspace topic.

Quote:
Do we need rules on all of these? that is up to each gm - to me, just the explanation is adequate - although a gravity wave is a fun idea on that it could make a ship go faster - a tailwind so to speak.

Indeed. My main interest here is finding a replacement for the “Mynocks” entry on the official Astrogation Mishap Table, while still retaining the same basic effect.

Quote:
But as far as just popping out new routes as needed without scouting - I feel that and all the spaces between the routes - data is missing or indaequate - hence why "scouting" and mapping new routes is a thing (galaxy guide 8 talks about this).

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here, but in general, I think scouting and mapping should be difficult and time consuming, full of dead ends and backtracking, and even when you succeed, your new route is almost never faster or more convenient than a route that already exists.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
pakman wrote:

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here, but in general, I think scouting and mapping should be difficult and time consuming, full of dead ends and backtracking, and even when you succeed, your new route is almost never faster or more convenient than a route that already exists.

Totally agree.

I was trying to make a counter point to the idea that everything in the galaxy is mapped, and thus any powerful enough nav computer can make any new route anytime.

now - to read the hyperspace hazard and fuel threads......
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I was trying to make a counter point to the idea that everything in the galaxy is mapped, and thus any powerful enough nav computer can make any new route anytime.

Ah. Yes, absolutely. Along similar lines, I plan to introduce grades of Navcomputer, so that instead of the RAW’s version of Yes/Limited/No, Navcomputers will have a D rating between -3D and 5D, which stacks with the crew’s Astrogation skill when calculating jumps. The D value represents an aggregate of both processing power and route data storage. But there will be some routes that aren’t public knowledge, so it won’t matter how good your map database is if you don’t have the actual course data. It would also greatly simplify Instinctive Astrogation rolls, since it could be as simple as adding a character’s Sense dice to Astrogation, in place of the ship’s Navcomputer rating.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
pakman wrote:

Ah. Yes, absolutely. Along similar lines, I plan to introduce grades of Navcomputer, so that instead of the RAW’s version of Yes/Limited/No, Navcomputers will have a D rating between -3D and 5D, which stacks with the crew’s Astrogation skill when calculating jumps. The D value represents an aggregate of both processing power and route data storage. But there will be some routes that aren’t public knowledge, so it won’t matter how good your map database is if you don’t have the actual course data. It would also greatly simplify Instinctive Astrogation rolls, since it could be as simple as adding a character’s Sense dice to Astrogation, in place of the ship’s Navcomputer rating.

I like it!

It gives something else to upgrade - which can lead to new adventures, plot lines etc.

Going to be a while, but ....um...soon (a nebulous term to mean between 1 - 132 months) I will be working on my ship design/upgrade rules - and have to remember this one....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: