The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What was your first RPG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> What was your first RPG? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: What was your first RPG? Reply with quote

Just wondering what everyone's introductory RPG game was. Mine was the Marvel Super Heroes game (Advanced Set).

How about you?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread, Pel! I went into it in the How did you get into the WEG Star Wars RPG? thread. In elementary school, I had a neighborhood friend my age (RJ) with a college reading level. He introduced me to Basic D&D with this version:

When my character achieved 4th level, we upgraded to AD&D (1e). A couple years later when RJ moved away, my new group and I began playing a homebrew hybrid version of the game which ported some of the things from AD&D into the 1981 Basic/Expert system (with some other modifications). Inspired by RotJ, we homebrewed a Star Wars RPG based on that game system (proto-d20?) but only played it a handful of times. We also played some other TSR games like Star Frontiers and Marvel Superheroes (the first version).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first was TSR's Marvel Super Heroes as well. That was middle school, and I had--at best--a rudimentary grasp of the rules.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first RPG experience was a session of Advanced D&D waaaaaaaay back when I was in 5th grade or something. Or was it Basic? It was that long ago.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first RPG that I every played was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition. The first RPG I bought was Star Wars.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure mine was the D&D Basic Black Box.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was the Mentzer's D&D: Basic Rules Set 1 (red box) and Expert Rules Set 2 (blue box), way back in 1984.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was Palladium, starting with Robotech and dabbling briefly with Heroes Unlimited before discovering Star Wars D6. I didn't get to play D&D until I was in college.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically it was the old D&D (the same Mentzer's set that RyanDarkstar pictured).

However, my first real experience of an RPG experience was an improvised Live action thing which me and a friend did in the playground at school.
He would narrate the scene and I would tell him my actions, whilst acting it out, and he would narrate the consequences. The playtimes at school were pretty much just him and me walking around together, describing things to each other that no-one else could see. We were not the cool kids! Very Happy
A few years later, the same friend used one of the old Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone Fighting Fantasy books (House of Hell, I think) and ran that as a tabletop RPG for a group of us, although I didn't understand that's what it was at the time.

A few years later and I'd moved 100 miles away and was a different school when one of my classmates was looking to start a D&D group. As soon as he explained what that was, I realised I could do that.

NOTE: Some reminiscing and associated Google searching has uncovered that 'House of Hell' may be better known as 'House of Hades' in the US.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this, it was D&D 3.5e. And I played it for the first time about five years ago.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mine was Palladium, starting with Robotech and dabbling briefly with Heroes Unlimited before discovering Star Wars D6. I didn't get to play D&D until I was in college.

Man...Robotech... That brings me back. Discovered this one in high school. How about those Random Insanity Tables? Wink
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hero's quest and dragon strike board games were what first got me interested in RPG's. then i was invited to play some AD&D 2nd ed on my 14th birthday in 1995.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Man...Robotech... That brings me back. Discovered this one in high school. How about those Random Insanity Tables? Wink

The main thing I recall about Palladium looking back is that having Palladium be one's first system is the best way to experience it, as you have no idea how clunky and derivative it is compared to other systems. However, I do still have a very large collection of Palladium pdfs that I use as sources for various ideas. There are a lot of Psi-powers from the game that would make very neat Force powers, for example.

And the Random Insanity Tables... Yeah. I could see those being ported into the D6 Space Advantage/Disadvantage System and played for full RP effect...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends and I got ahold of Chainmaile when one of their older brothers got the first red D&D book. We quickly changed enough stuff to basically make it an entirely new game.. much of it based on the assorted rpg Nintendo games. After bouncing through stuff like carwars, battletech/MechWarrior, and various editions of D&D, I had a friend get the 1st ed Starwars d6 book and loved it. My first character was a pilot that got stunned trying to appropriate a MSE droid in a short lived game that was tons of fun (even if I was a bit.. err.. undermature? at the time).
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough the R&E was my first RPG. I started up with some friends of mine while I was in seminary. I think we had our first session in late 2001. So, I'm a relative newcomer to the whole scene.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: