The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

“Scarab” Modified Gallofree medium transport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> “Scarab” Modified Gallofree medium transport Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Because, with a good enough backstory, the GM will allow anything!

At least... I would. Razz

I totally agree.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
On the OP. how did you justify increasing the Space from 2 to 7?
Sutehp wrote:
Good to know I was wrong: I always knew the rebels were brave, but I never wanted to think they were crazy.

I was going to post about the various official and Legend uses of GR75s, but it ended up being big enough to merit its own topic, as opposed to highjacking this one, so here...

If one is flat out switching out the engines, one could easily go from a 2 to a 7. BUT if you were just using Transport repair, you could only go up +4 space..
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If one is flat out switching out the engines, one could easily go from a 2 to a 7. BUT if you were just using Transport repair, you could only go up +4 space..

Thanks, good to know.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten-20-Three wrote:
I strongly believe that is a part of fun in SW Universe. If someone has built it, someone else can modify it, it happens all the time.

Agreed, but some things can be taken too far. For sake of comparison, the Millennium Falcon, easily one of the most heavily modified space transports in the SWU, has a 100% increase in speed (from 4 SUs to 8 SUs). This ship, as modified, has a 250% increase. When a flying garbage scow (and the GR75 is officially a piece of junk under the WEG rules) can keep up with Y-Wings and edge out B-Wings, it strains credulity. Ships are supposed to be trade-offs, with fighters designed to be fast and maneuverable at the expense of just about everything else, and freighters sacrificing speed and maneuverability in order to carry lots and lots of stuff.

Also, I noticed that your stat in the OP is missing both Hull and Maneuverability stats...

Quote:
I think, there would exist specialized shipyards with design bureaus which would figure it out how to refit engines to other ships in economically viable way.

I don't think your supposition is viable. Such extreme modifications may be possible but will most certainly be expensive, which is the opposite of economically viable.

Quote:
I do not know what does “other related ships” exactly mean – any idea? Medium freighters or even capital bulk freighter are not a starfighter or capital combat ship – so to which group they belong?

From a physics standpoint, related ships would be ships in the Starfighter-Scale class, excluding starfighters themselves. This includes most types of light transports and scout ships. Something the mass of the GR75 (close to 3x longer than an YT-1300) would require a much larger drive to achieve similar results.

Rather than go with the "name brand" drives listed in the 2E edition of GG6, I would suggest going with my percentage conversion of the generic drive list from the 1E system. Basically, it bases the performance and cost of the drive on the a percentage of the base stats of the vehicle, rather than a fixed weight and cost for the drive.

Basically, find the ship's stock speed on the chart, then subtract the price / cargo modifiers for that speed from the same values of the speed you want the ship to have. In this case, the GR75's Space 2 Drive would have modifiers of 3% cost and 8% cargo capacity, while a Space 7 Drive would have modifiers of 35% and 14%, for a difference of 32% cost and 6% cargo capacity. You then apply those percentages to the new cost (350,000 credits) and cargo capacity (19,000 metric tons) of the GR75, with a resulting cost of 112,000 credits + installation and giving up 1,140 metric tons of cargo capacity.

With those prices, ship modifications like this are doable, but the price would be such that it might be more it to just buy a new ship.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

With those prices, ship modifications like this are doable, but the price would be such that it might be more it to just buy a new ship.

Appearances are deceiving. No one would expect Gallofree medium transport to be something else than it usually is. This feature probably allowed Syrin Zendu to stay out of the Imperial radar and be so successful.

I think switching a drive makes sense when you have cheap manpower and you happen to have replacement engine (e.g. from salvage). There are probably hundreds of more powerful engines available on market for ships of similar scale.

On the other hand, in such a vast Universe, with so many species, it is very tempting to assume that starships are made in different versions for different markets, and it is possible that you can buy the same ship but in different specification, for different needs, including stronger engines.
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Rather than go with the "name brand" drives listed in the 2E edition of GG6, I would suggest going with my percentage conversion of the generic drive list from the 1E system. Basically, it bases the performance and cost of the drive on the a percentage of the base stats of the vehicle, rather than a fixed weight and cost for the drive.

It looks interesting - I will have a closer look at it in the following days.
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Also, I noticed that your stat in the OP is missing both Hull and Maneuverability stats...

Thanks! I took the stats from Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, 2nd edition, page 136, and somehow I did skip Hull while writing she stats on forum. As it goes to Maneuverability, it is not listed in the mentioned supplement. I assumed it is 0D and I kept it this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: