The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Has anyone done a Kyuzo template?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Has anyone done a Kyuzo template?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Has anyone done a Kyuzo template? Reply with quote

I finally found the character wright up, on the google docs link, for Embo, the Kyuzo Bounty Hunter from the Clone Wars series. Now I was hoping to find a Kyuzo template at the request of a player.
The Embo character is attributed to Pietre Valbuena, I was hoping he create base stats for the Kyuzo species, during his stating process.

thanks in advance.

PS. I have not posted in a while, but I still lurk occasionally.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone done a Kyuzo template? Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
I finally found the character wright up, on the google docs link, for Embo, the Kyuzo Bounty Hunter from the Clone Wars series. Now I was hoping to find a Kyuzo template at the request of a player.
The Embo character is attributed to Pietre Valbuena, I was hoping he create base stats for the Kyuzo species, during his stating process.

thanks in advance.

PS. I have not posted in a while, but I still lurk occasionally.

Sorry I don't have stats for that species, but it's great to see a post from you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats may have stats cooked up somewhere.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cynanbloodbane, I did that Embo write-up way back when. I do have Kyuzo species stats as well.

Have been MIA for the couple of weeks myself, due to the (unwelcome) return of a heavy workload, BUT I will dig up the species stats and post them!
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Hi cynanbloodbane, I did that Embo write-up way back when. I do have Kyuzo species stats as well.

Have been MIA for the couple of weeks myself, due to the (unwelcome) return of a heavy workload, BUT I will dig up the species stats and post them!

Thanks much! It's a request from my daughter-in-law to be, so I am hedging my chances of getting a third generation of gamers at my table down the road!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
shootingwomprats may have stats cooked up somewhere.

The problem with a conversion is a lack of information on the species. Heck we do not even know if it has species-specific special abilities. Unfortunately Embo is not a good place to start either, as he is a heroic level character, being built on 18D as opposed to 12D for attributes.

The quick and dirty way I would make the race is give them 2D/4D in all attributes and give an alien physical description.

Circling back to Embo this does not conflict in what we see. His martial arts is probably not species-related nor is the use of his hat as weapon. These all sound like high skill levels and perhaps a special maneuver or three, but again, not species-related.

Something I think people forget about the SWU, is that not every single alien species has anything that makes it special beyond appearance, culture, social mores, etc. So a lot of alien species don't need fiddly write-ups for them.

Telsij wrote:

I remember this write-up but no the species write-up.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to fear, my species write-up for the Kyuzo really doesn't use Embo as a particular model, but focuses on what the species general traits are, such as their high-gravity homeworld bonuses, their atmosphere breathing restrictions, and cultural inclinations.

The Clovoc order, of which Embo and Constable Zuvio were members, are indeed martial artists, but the write-up addresses that too. The hat/war-shields were specifically tools of that order.

I should have it up this weekend, just have to track it down, but IIRC, they had 2D+1 to 4D+2 DEX ranges, and 2D/4D STR ranges. Operating on non-highgrav worlds gave both bonuses and hindrances, as well as some options built into character creation.

EDIT: Haha, I did not remember correctly, it was 2D+1/4D+1 and 2D+1/4D, but I gave them a species initiative bonus and a STR bonus on low-gravity worlds, which is what made that additional +1 stick in my memory.

EDIT 2: Revised the write-up below, post this post.

Last edited by Telsij on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the species write-up I had. As it's been sometime since I had reviewed the write-up closely, I will revisit it, to see about revising it in earnest, balancing out some of their strengths. In the meantime, hope it helps!

KYUZO
Homeworld: Phatrong

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY: 2D+1/4D+1
KNOWLEDGE: 1D/4D
MECHANICAL: 1D/4D
PERCEPTION: 1D+2/4D
STRENGTH: 2D+1/4D+1
TECHNICAL: 1D/4D

Move: 12/14
Size: 1.6 meters - 2.0 meters tall

Species Special Abilities and Story Factors:

• Breathers of Uncommon Atmosphere: Due to the uncommon makeup of Phatrong's atmosphere, Kyuzo frequently wore corrective lenses, and a highly-pressurized filter mask or bandages over their faces to protect their sensitive respiratory systems and assist them in coping with climates considered galactic standard, habitable environments. As well as causing respiratory and vision problems, exposure to such conditions caused a Kyuzo to become ill within a short period of time, interfered with their ability to concentrate, and slowed them down considerably, though the symptoms were not fatal.

In game terms, if deprived of their breathing apparatus (which can be as simple as bandage wraps used to filter the air) for a number of rounds equal to their Strength die code, Kyuzos suffer a penalty to the difficulty of all tasks attempted. All task difficulties become one level higher, due to the physical discomfort and inability to concentrate that Kyuzo experience outside of Phatrong's atmospheric conditions. For each day thereafter that Kyuzos are exposed to this "hostile" atmosphere, they must make a Difficult stamina check. Each successive failure incurs an additional increase of one difficulty level for all tasks.

• Clovoc Orders: There were many social and political organizations on their homeworld of Phatrong, but of particularly note were the Clovocs, fighting orders that maintained law and order in specific regions of Phatrong. They existed apart from Kyuzo political structure and were hired by governments to help maintain the peace or fight their enemies. The hundreds of clovocs varied widely in numbers, expertise, technique, tradition, and structure, with each tending to keep a particular type of mission, such as mercenary work, local policing, or acting as a standing army. In peaceful times, clovocs participated in grand tournaments featuring their best fighters to showcase their skills and attract potential patrons for their services. These stylized battles were generally not fought to the death, though accidents did occur, and a few Kyuzo warriors found themselves fleeing Phatrong after killing an opponent in one of these contest, lest staying provoke the wrath of a powerful clovoc. Some clovocs encouraged their members or even entire branches to work offworld as mercenaries, while others forbade the practice. As many of the Kyuzo who traveled offworld were members of a clovoc, there warrior orders were one of the most recognized elements of Kyuzo culture in the galaxy at large. The Clovoc employed the use of war-shields that also served as helmets and thrown weapons. The renowned Bounty Hunter Embo was known to wield such a weapon.

In game terms and at GM discretion, if a Kyuzo character is a member of a Clovoc and his player provides acceptable/appropriate character backstory, the Kyuzo PC receives +2D for every +1D of starting skill dice placed in law enforcement, tactics, or investigation. However, the PC is then bound to, and judged by, the cultural practices, rivalries, and expectations of his chosen Clovoc. Please note: a Kyuzo PC that is a member of a warrior Clovoc may select a Martial Arts brawling specialization, and choose a style that reflects his particular Clovoc’s traditions.

• Code of Honor: Most Kyuzo regarded oaths and contracts as unbreakable. Because of this, many species sought them out as mercenaries, law-enforcement personnel and bounty hunters. A politically segmented species, although the Kyuzo developed societies that spanned considerable geographical areas, most identified as members of a particular country or region. Most major islands and continents were their own political units, though they did form a loose confederacy.

In game terms, if a Kyuzo character gives his word and/or agrees to a contract, he is fully expected to honor it. If a Kyuzo breaks his word and news of this becomes known to his circles, he will almost certainly be regarded as a social pariah and will suffer the cultural consequences. In addition, Kyuzo from a particular region will often remain loyal/partial to that region or its political unit.

• Eye Physiology: There were two primary phenotypes within the Kyuzo population: those who had compound eyes, and those with eyes with black, slit-shaped pupils not unlike other humanoids. The exact genetic history behind this divergence was known to few non-Kyuzo scientists, but the two groups were genetically compatible, with offspring inheriting one trait or the other from a parent.

In game terms, Kyuzo whose eyes have slit-pupils gain a +1D bonus to visually-based Perception or search checks in low-light situations, while Kyuzo with compound eyes gain a +1D bonus to visually-based Perception or search checks made to notice sudden movements.

• High-gravity Homeworld: Life under the conditions of their homeworld resulted in the evolution of dense muscle fibers that were far better developed than the average bipedal species, as well as fast reflexes. This made them even more dangerous opponents on planets with standard gravity, though their wiry arms and legs concealed their considerable strength, confounding the expectation that high-gravity species were always burly beings.

At character creation, a Kyuzo character gains +2D for every +1D of starting skill dice added to climbing/jumping, lifting, and stamina, although the standard maximum of +2D net gain to any one skill during character creation still applies. When on worlds with standard gravity (ie: world with lower level gravity than that of Phatrong), Kyuzo gain a +1 bonus to their Initiative rolls. And when on Phatrong or other worlds of equally high-gravity that are closer to their "native" conditions, a Kyuzo's Strength die code and Strength-related skills are reduced by -1D.

• Language Limitations: Kyuzo favored their own language, which consisted of short, quickly-spoken words and phrases. Although Kyuzos could learn Galactic Basic and most picked up the skill at a young age, they found the language to be both difficult to speak and grammatically confusing. As a result, they favored their own language and relied upon electronic translators or interpreter droids to smooth their interactions with outsiders.

In game terms, when without a translation device and attempting to speak Basic, any rolls required to verbalize clearly are one difficulty level higher for Kyuzo.

Sources: Star Wars: the Clone Wars animated series, starwars.com, Star Wars RPG by FFG, and Wookieepedia. Species Background text adapted from Wookieepedia. Stats by Telsij.

Last edited by Telsij on Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:22 pm; edited 27 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Telsij!

cynanbloodbane wrote:
It's a request from my daughter-in-law to be, so I am hedging my chances of getting a third generation of gamers at my table down the road!

Best wishes!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the chance to re-read this and I made some amendments that I think make for a major improvement.

The biggest change was to their high-gravity-borne Strength. Since the Kyuzo aren't shown to be real beasts in terms of raw power and since their strength seems to manifest in fast-twitch muscle use and agility, as well as (keyword) surprisingly wiry/ropey strength I bumped their STR max to 4D+1 and simply added that on their homeworld or on worlds of equally-high gravity, the STR is reduced by -1D. So, they still get the dense muscle bonus via the 2-for-1 buy to climbing/jumping, lifting and stamina, but also don't have to fuss with their die codes too much since most adventures will happen on standard gravity worlds. This works better for balance, imho, and is much closer to the way WEG-handles high-grav STR bonuses.

The major change is also pasted below, but is now included in the write-up up top. Will prob also repost a revised Embo shortly:

High-gravity Homeworld:
When on worlds with standard gravity (ie: world with lower level gravity than that of Phatrong), Kyuzo gain a +1 bonus to their Initiative rolls. However, when on Phatrong or other worlds of equally high-gravity that are closer to their "native" conditions, a Kyuzo's Strength die code and Strength-related skills are reduced by -1D.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
It's a request from my daughter-in-law to be, so I am hedging my chances of getting a third generation of gamers at my table down the road!

Awesome, I hope your insidious plan works! And congrats on the fam nuptials to come!

Whill wrote:
Thanks, Telsij!

Glad to help, sir!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: