The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Other Force Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Other Force Skills Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pursued a path not entirely unlike this at one point. Obviously, I was using a system that had already deviated in other ways from RAW but you might find some of it useful.

This is the version of our Force rules which most broke things down by tradition and most detailed the Sith disciplines:

Force Rules

It is quite big so you might want to download it instead of reading it online. The specific Force Traditions start on page 26 with the Jedi and move on from there. The Sith start on page 90.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
They have several ones specifically for use with/against droids.

True, but iirc the novels (specifically the children of the jedi) did mention that the force is much harder to use on droids, till they did something to Irek immarsen's brain...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was always an interesting contradiction. IIRC, Irek was only able to manipulate electronics because of an implant in his head, yet Kyp Durron was able to erase the data out of a computer with no implant at all.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different powers.

Kyp's was using Sith power. I has drawbacks - can only restore programs to default status, not actually reprogram machines.

Irek has some kind of extended affect mind, so he could actually control the machines.. But it had it limits too based of the schematics memorization.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
I pursued a path not entirely unlike this at one point. Obviously, I was using a system that had already deviated in other ways from RAW but you might find some of it useful.

This is the version of our Force rules which most broke things down by tradition and most detailed the Sith disciplines:

Force Rules

It is quite big so you might want to download it instead of reading it online. The specific Force Traditions start on page 26 with the Jedi and move on from there. The Sith start on page 90.

Wow. Great production! Thanks for sharing. This is a great resource for anyone looking for ideas.

I was working on something similar recently (I like the idea of different force traditions having different powers, and other traditions not necessarily having any idea how to do some of the things that other force users do). Mine is a lot closer to RAW, though.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Wow. Great production! Thanks for sharing.

No problem. I hope you find something useful. Generally its quite easy to translate roughly back into RAW because each of the Force skill is allocated to Control, Sense or Alter, so you just need to consolodate down the list of skills.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Two different powers.

Kyp's was using Sith power. I has drawbacks - can only restore programs to default status, not actually reprogram machines.

Irek has some kind of extended affect mind, so he could actually control the machines.. But it had it limits too based of the schematics memorization.

Which, again, was rather silly, because Farseeing is defined broadly enough that it could be used to visualize the schematics, so there would be no need for memorization.

Anyways, Children of the Jedi and the Jedi Academy / Darksaber thread are nowhere near the top when it comes to the best EU novels. But I digress.

In the Tales of the Jedi comics, Master Arca was seen to use Telekinetic Kill on a Krath Wardroid, and there is nothing in the description of TK Kill that specifically prohibits its use against non-living targets, even though the description implies it.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the (paraphrased) descriptions of the Telemechanics powers from Rifts:

Telemechanics
      This power allows the user to understand and mentally communicate with machines. It is a bizarre combination of Object Read and Telepathy, except that it applies to mechanical devices only.

By touching any non-artificially intelligent machine, whether it be a bicycle, blaster, speeder or starship, the power user will have a complete knowledge of the machine's function, and a temporary knowledge of how to operate it. The complete schematic diagram and operational knowledge are clearly seen in his mind's eye.

When touching an artificially intelligent machine (which includes computers), the power user not only understands everything about its operation, repair, access codes, etc, but can actually communicate with it telepathically. This means he can tap into a computer's memory bank without using a terminal because the information would be received directly into his mind.

NOTE: I would theorize that this also includes the ability to diagnose any malfunctions, although repairing them would require either the appropriate Technical skill or a different power.

Telemechanic Mental Operation
      This power is a step beyond the mere understanding of machines granted by Telemechanics; it allows the power user to telepathically operate the machine with his mind. As long as the machine functions, is turned on, and the power user knows how to use it, he can operate the device as though he were physically operating the controls. This means he can operate computer keyboards, key pads, set/program and alarm clock, change the radio station, operate a display screen or drive a vehicle, cook something in a microwave, turn off (or on) a surveillance camera, and so on.

This power will only work on machines that have an electronic or other power source, and does not work on artificially intelligent machines (intelligent computers, droids, etc) nor on cybernetics. The power user may use other powers and engage in other activities, but must maintain some level of metal concentration and contact to keep control of the machine.

Telemechanic Paralysis
      This is a form of techno-manipulation whereby the power user is able to psychically bond with the machine and momentarily prevent it from functioning. The user blocks the transmission of signals along the machine's "nervous system," effectively incapacitating it. This means the power is only effective against machines that require an energy source. Simple devices like wind-up toys, scissors, old revolvers and pistols, swords, knives, crossbows and similar items can not be affected. A paralyzed machine freezes in place and does not respond to any of its controls until the power's influence ends.

Telemechanic Possession
      This power allows the power user to override the programming / controls of a machine, even in the case of sentient machines, and control it by remote (will function on detatched cybernetics, but not those attached to living tissue). Essentially, the possessor is an ethereal pilot who controls the machine as he desires; computers, factory equipment, vehicles, droids, empty power armor, a toaster, etc.

While the user possesses the machine, it responds to the character's thoughts and does whatever he desires. Of course, physical and mechanical limitations still apply. The machine needs a power source, and can not do anything it is not normally capable of doing. For example, the power user may be able to take possession of a blaster rifle and make it shoot (or not) seemingly of its own volition, but he can not make the rifle aim, move or hop around. Likewise, if the device is unplugged or runs out of fuel, the machine is deactivated with no ill effect to the user, except that his possession comes to a premature end. Likewise, if the machine requires a propulsion system to move, destroying that system will immobilize the machine. If the machine is destroyed while being possessed, the user suffers a Wound.

NOTE: The Rifts power states that, while the power is in effect, the user falls into a coma-like state and is vulnerable to attack unless protected by others. I see this more analogous to the Control Mind power, except only for use against non-living things.

There is also room for Telekinesis-based Sense/Alter powers that allow Force users to manipulate or paralyze simple mechanical objects (as described under Telemechanic Paralysis), as well as for a Telemechanic Repair power (see Anakin Solo "fixing" the broken circuit on a droid in the Corellian Trilogy).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a power called Machine Ghost that imparts the ability to scan the electronic contents of computers or electronically stored media, but it also gets into a sort of psionic virtual reality that gets pretty complicated. I'd just as soon fold it into Telemechanics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: