The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Other WEG RPGs?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Other WEG RPGs? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Other WEG RPGs? Reply with quote

Does anyone like other WEG RPG? What other WEG RPGs have you played in the past that you liked? Still play any WEG RPG besides Star Wars?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Other WEG RPGs? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Does anyone like other WEG RPG? What other WEG RPGs have you played in the past that you liked? Still play any WEG RPG besides Star Wars?

Not me. My interest is almost exclusively Star Wars.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been quite a while since I've even played any game, actually. For me, though, I feel that D6 and Star Wars were made for each other and I have trouble wrapping my head around any setting for D6 that isn't Star Wars.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy both D6 Adventures and D6 Fantasy, but I prefer Star Wars over D6 Space.

It's been a while since I've played either of the OD6 games.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WEG RPGs? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

NEver seen/played any of the other WEG games.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an Indiana Jones game by WEG on Ebay, but I gather it's run on a different system? WEG was going to do a Stargate SG-1 game, but that got canned before it could really take off. The creator of the game apparently posted the stuff online. Personally, I think SG-1 would make a fantastic setting for an RPG similar to D6 Star Wars, and it wouldn't take a ton of work to adapt to a D6 system even without the written material.

Here's the link to what I found:

http://johntynes.com/revland2000/rl_sg0.html
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I saw an Indiana Jones game by WEG on Ebay, but I gather it's run on a different system?

The bulk of the WEG IJ material is for the Masterbook system, which was based on Shatterzone's system, which was based on TORG's system. Masterbook is crunchier than D6 and very deadly for PCs. Not too cinematic or pulp adventure. In the early-90s it wasn't yet clear how much of the Star Wars game system was owned by Lucasfilm, so WEG tried to market Masterbook as a general multi-genre system. They did publish multiple settings for it, but the game system sucked.

After WEG got a grip on D6 in 1996, they published The D6 System, their general "toolkit" book encouraging GMs to make their custom version of D6 system for any D6-appropriate setting. Then based on that, they quickly came out with the Indiana Jones Adventures book, the only IJ product made for D6 (with a Masterbook-to-D6 conversion system to make use of all the Masterbook IJ products). I think by that time Masterbook and IJ RPGs were dead ends.

I have the original WEG World of Indiana Jones Masterbook box set, a few other Masterbook IJ books, and the D6 IJ book. I've hardly played any of them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any of the Indiana Jones material worth acquiring? I've long considered an Indiana Jones-type archaeology campaign in the SWU, with long lost Jedi and Sith artifacts taking the place of the various artifacts.

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Is any of the Indiana Jones material worth acquiring? I've long considered an Indiana Jones-type archaeology campaign in the SWU, with long lost Jedi and Sith artifacts taking the place of the various artifacts.

Sounds awesome. It's worth it to me since I am such a big fan of IJ. But I haven't looked at the IJ stuff in a long time. I'll have to get it out and look at it again sometime.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some Indiana Jones type stuff happen for a Jedi Treasure hunter in a game once.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and have played Ghostbusters (currently trying to replace components of lost/damaged set). I Was starting a Godsend Agenda game (ok not published by WEG but using the D6 system) but it didn't get far. I have used material from Metabarons, and DCU in various Star Wars/D6 based games I have run.

I ran a 2 D6 space campaigns for a while using material from Star Wars, D6 Space (and other D6 Books) and lots of home made content. One was very military/mecha based that drew a lot of inspiration from the Colonnial Marines in Aliens, and served as a test bed for new rules I was working up (complete revision to burst fire rules, new vehicle/mecha rules heavily inspired by decades of gaming with Battletech, Mekton II, and Heavy Gear/Jovian Chronicles). The Other, which also served as testing for some rules but not nearly as extensive, was more of a space adventure game somewhere between the Style and scope of Star Wars and Firefly...with a hint of Babylon 5...

I have, Men In Black, and own but have never played in native form Hercules/Xena, and a large collection of the DC Universe books. I mostly got these to use as sources for rules comparisons when I craft or modify rules. I always like to try to see if there is some official rule covering something first - then decide if I like or dislike it or if I feel it needs improvement.

I had, at one point, considered publishing/releasing some of the materials I created for my space adventures (especially the weapons and equipment catalogues) but ran into a number of issues (never finished them, and I used a lot of copyright images as they were made for home use).
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WEG RPGs? Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Not me. My interest is almost exclusively Star Wars.

Seconded concerning the WEG/D6 system.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got most of Shatterzone. Mostly because I enjoyed one of the novels set in that setting waaayyy back when.

I don't think it has aged well, but I might also just have chosen poorly when it came to which book I started looking in. I should likely just try the boxed set and go from there.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Sounds awesome. It's worth it to me since I am such a big fan of IJ. But I haven't looked at the IJ stuff in a long time. I'll have to get it out and look at it again sometime.

Whill, have you had a chance to look into this? Any suggestions on books that are worth picking up and ones to avoid?

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Whill, have you had a chance to look into this? Any suggestions on books that are worth picking up and ones to avoid?

I have the original masterbook box set for IJ which has the core rules book and a worldbook. I do not recommend this set or book. Masterbook sucks. I also have a masterbook artifacts book that is loaded with mystical artifacts from all cultures all over the word and puts them into game terms. This could serve as real world inspiration for your game about the Jedi and Sith artifacts, but you could also find the same inspiration from websites without paying for a game book. I can't really recommend this book either.

I have the hardback sourcebooks for ToD and RotLA. Despite being masterbook books, these books are worth the price of admission for me because I just love having RPG books based on my favorite movies. But I wouldn't really recommend these unless you are planning Star Wars adventures adapting from or heavily inspired by these movies.

My last WEG IJ RPG book, Indiana Jones Adventures, is the only D6 product ever made for IJ. Functionally, it only requires The D6 System for complete rules, plus it has a masterbook conversion system to make use all the masterbook IJ line. It's got a few adventures. It's got a handful of Star Wars style character templates I like. If you could find it cheap, I would recommend this book. But I do not feel it would be worth it to pay a lot. My understanding is that it is rare and expensive now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: