The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Overcoming Danger Sense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Overcoming Danger Sense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Overcoming Danger Sense Reply with quote

Since this came up in another topic, I thought I'd branch out.

Danger Sense, Combat Sense and Lightsaber Combat point to a Jedi's ability to sense events before they happen, and then apply that knowledge in combat. It makes for a pretty formidable defense, as any attempt to foil that precognitive ability must be based on hiding or concealing one's actions from the flow of time itself. My objection to most attempts to trick Jedi's precognitive abilities is that they fail to take this into account, as though a grenade cunningly disguised as a piece of fruit will somehow disguise the fact that it is going to explode in the very near future from someone who can literally sense the impending danger of the explosion before it happens.

That being said, I do believe that Danger Sense can be overcome under certain circumstances, and the films and Clone Wars support this. However, any realistic attempt to overcome Danger Sense must be based on somehow muddling or confusing the nature of the future threat. A few examples:
    -Use non-lethal attacks, such as Stun attacks or even just locking the Jedi in a corridor with blast doors on either end. The initial level of danger will not be as high as would a lethal threat, like shooting the Jedi with a blaster or a missile.

-Use multi-layered attacks, with escalating degrees of threat to immobilize, then stun, then kill a Jedi. The pirate base escape in Specter of the Past is an excellent example; first, a corridor trap designed to immobilize Luke and keep him separate from his lightsaber, then slowly suck the air out of the chamber, then slowly destroy the base with sequential scuttling charges.

-Use non-living attacks (I'm amenable to the idea that a droid not being connected to the Living Force makes them slightly harder to detect with the Force).

-High threat environments. Confront the Jedi with multiple threats from multiple directions at once; knowing that a threat is coming is no protection if you are too distracted and MAP'd to successfully react to it.

Also, there's this. I've posted it in a few other locations, but since it's applicable here, I thought I'd bring it up.
    (A)Mindshadow
    Prerequisites: Willpower 8D
    Time to Use: 1 round
    Effect: The character may roll this skill when attempting to avoid detection by Life Detection, Life Sense, Danger Sense, Combat Sense, Farseeing or any other Sense-based Force power. He rolls once per round against Easy Difficulty, then adds the success total to the Jedi's Difficulty roll to bring up the power in question. The skill user must re-roll every round, and the roll is subject to MAPs as normal.
    Description: While strong-willed characters can resist mental powers such as Receptive Telepathy or Affect Mind through force of will alone, they can not hide from the precognitive abilities of the Jedi, simply because no amount of willpower will allow someone to hide from the flow of time itself. However, there are mental techniques that can be used to partially obscure one's place in the time stream from the senses of a Jedi. This ability is very challenging to master, and requires entering a near-meditative mental state in which the character makes no concrete decisions which would affect the immediate future of the Jedi. This has the effect of casting a shadow over the normally luminous being seen through the Force.

The idea being that, while a non-FS character can't do anything to physically hide their actions from the Force, they can utilize a meditative state that "muddies the waters" of their connection to the Force, thus partially obscuring them from Sense powers.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Atton_Rand

He did it by calculating Pazaak totals in his head constantly.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I sense Count Dooku."

"I sense a trap."

"Next move?"

"Spring the trap."

It's vague enough to allow for the Jedi to know that there is some kind of deception or malice in play. At this point if Obi-Wan had asked the GM, "I roll Farseeing. What's going to happen?" Assuming spectacular success, what information would you give?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: