The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG SW RPG 30th Anniversary Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> WEG SW RPG 30th Anniversary Edition Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Whill wrote:
If you find it or anyone else has the errata, please share it. I don't recall ever seeing an errata list for this book.

Well, hopefully I didn't make that up, Whill! I may be thinking of some responses to questions in the Adventure Journals, and in particular I thought there was a misprint in one of the tables at the end of the 1st Ed. Rulebook. I may be suffering from hibernation sickness, though, or a mild case of the Blue Shadow Virus.

There were two charts missing from the 2e GG6 (I posted them in the Library). There are some Errata for other books here, but they are all 2e books.

It is not likely the 1e core was ever dealt with in the Adventure Journal. AJ did not begin publication until 1994 when second edition had already been out for a couple years. But maybe I'm wrong and it's in there.

Quote:
Incidentally, Whill - how are does it feel to know that you are a member of a microbiotic species that controls the universe? Smile

http://collider.com/george-lucas-star-wars-plans/

It's really hard to put into terms mere mortals will understand.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It is not likely the 1e core was ever dealt with in the Adventure Journal. AJ did not begin publication until 1994 when second edition had already been out for a couple years. But maybe I'm wrong and it's in there.

Hard to argue with the math there. Looks like I need to set up an appointment with FX-7.

Quote:
Quote:
Incidentally, Whil - how are does it feel to know that you are a member of a microbiotic species that controls the universe? Smile

Thank you for taking the time to interact with us lowly peons. I guess Yoda was right with the "size matters not" business. But while I may have seen "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" a few too many times, isn't life as a microorganism a little challenging - at least occasionally? And I'm not sure I'm buying this honky-dory story between you guys and your midi-chlorian buddies. I'll bet you have "West Side Story" Sharks vs. Jets dance fights several times a week while you're coursing through your poor hapless host vascular systems! Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just want to say again, the new books are gorgeous! And they are so full of good stuff, even for running 2e, like GM tips in the 1e core and fluff in the sourcebook. These wonderful books are the basis of the entire game. I love these books!

Another error not corrected was the spelling of the phrase in media res in the 1e core. It should be in medias res. I noticed that one in high school because I took Latin.

I took time to try to do a page-by-page comparison in both books. I got bored with it not too far into the first book, so most of what I noticed were the image differences like the ones already mentioned. I also never noticed how many reversed images there were in the originals.

On my look-throughs I paid a bit more attention to originals. I decided that was good enough for my final viewing of my original books and I sealed my original falling-apart books in plastic wrap tonight. My originals are now officially retired. Henceforth, whenever I want to refer to these two 1e books going forward, I will use the anniversary editions.

The pieces of the original crumbling ten commandments have been placed in the ark. Yahweh has provided new copies to replace the originals. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Voltron64
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After months of production delays and a week's wait after ordering it, this beauty finally arrived.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 31st Anniversary Edition Reply with quote

Voltron64 wrote:
After months of production delays and a week's wait after ordering it, this beauty finally arrived.

They are beautiful! The first "WEG Star Wars" books published in 20 years. This is a big deal!

So has anyone else gotten it? Anyone find any other differences? Any other reactions?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did another page-by-page comparison with the Sourcebook, and similar to the rulebook, there were a TON of images that were reverse-imaged, and many of the photographs were taken from a slightly different view/a few frames off/or from a different scene. Even quite a few of the concept art pieces are slightly different.

I'd be interested to hear from the authors/designers as to why they so often chose slightly different images from the original books. Did they want to make it easier to identify the differences? That's my guess.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I went to one of the big Barnes & Noble that has a larger RPG section (thus a lot of D&D but a little bit of Pathfinder and FFG Star Wars). They actually had 4 of the Anniversary box sets on the shelf. Maybe that was their only 4 copies and they haven't sold any yet, but my original impression was that this was a very limited special edition type of thing. Now I wonder if this maybe was a big production run after all. (It must have a big boat that crashed on Gilligan's Island.)

It still seems to be available from multiple channels online too. If anyone else sees it for sale by retail and internet, please share the details. I'm curious how big this thing really is.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hit my local B&N this afternoon, and they have a decent-sized roleplaying selection, as well, and two copies of the game.

I have to say, though, it's hard to get excited for paying $60 + tax for two books I effectively already own...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Red 331 wrote:
Whill wrote:
If you find it or anyone else has the errata, please share it. I don't recall ever seeing an errata list for this book.

Well, hopefully I didn't make that up, Whil! I may be thinking of some responses to questions in the Adventure Journals, and in particular I thought there was a misprint in one of the tables at the end of the 1st Ed. Rulebook. I may be suffering from hibernation sickness, though, or a mild case of the Blue Shadow Virus.

There were two charts missing from the 2e GG6 (I posted them in the Library). There are some Errata for other books here, but they are all 2e books.

Quote:
Incidentally, Whil - how are does it feel to know that you are a member of a microbiotic species that controls the universe? Smile

I totally missed this post and this is exactly what I need for my new solo game I'm launching. Gonna try running a Tramper Captain and he may need to do some speculative trading to pay off his loan shark!
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, the missing charts in GG6? Glad you found them and hope it helps your campaign. I'll be using the GG6 trading rules for my next campaign so I would appreciate any feedback you have from using them.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I just hit my local B&N this afternoon, and they have a decent-sized roleplaying selection, as well, and two copies of the game.

I have to say, though, it's hard to get excited for paying $60 + tax for two books I effectively already own...

I feel ya. That is a lot of money.

In November of 1987, these books retailed for $15 each so $30 for the pair. If it helps, according to the US Department of Labor, $30 back then has the same buying power as $65.51 in July of 2018. So $60 is actually a decent deal, from a certain point of view.

My original books have a lot of personal value for me, both my copy of my 1e core which I've always had, and my 1e sourcebook that I regretted I had sold for 22 years until my original copy improbably came back to me. But these books are worse for the wear, definitely the worst-conditioned WEG Star Wars books I own. They were literally falling apart until I sealed them in plastic.

I haven't played 1e since 1990, and 2e is superior in almost every way, but having brand new reproductions of these two 1e books that started it all is an indescribably feeling. They are beautiful. I just love having them. But no, there isn't really any practical reason to own these, other than financially supporting Star Wars D6 in hopes of the game someday returning to D6 for new products. But yes, $60 is a lot of money just to support a cause when there are no guarantees that will have any influence.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to acquire the anniversary set recently. However, when I was reading the rule book, I heard a cracking sound. Upon checking it afterwards, I was disconcerted to find that the glue holding the pages together had snapped right between the last of the index/charts pages and the page or two of FFG ads next to the back cover.

This made me wonder if there were other books falling apart in a similar manner, or I just happened to get one of the rare faulty copies.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashikaider wrote:
I managed to acquire the anniversary set recently. However, when I was reading the rule book, I heard a cracking sound. Upon checking it afterwards, I was disconcerted to find that the glue holding the pages together had snapped right between the last of the index/charts pages and the page or two of FFG ads next to the back cover.

This made me wonder if there were other books falling apart in a similar manner, or I just happened to get one of the rare faulty copies.

I'd try contacting FFG Customer service and see if they can replace it. Book shouldn't start falling apart after opening it for the first time.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashikaider wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, but glad that you shared. I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

For my copies, I did the initial flip-throughs which opened the books over 90% in my left hand, every page viewed. Then I did a page-by-page comparison to the originals in which the books were opened 180% on a table, every page viewed. I've also opened the books a few more times to look up something which were probably back to over 90% in my left hand but for shorter time periods. When referencing something I may have also put the books down for a bit, opened 180% to that page.

The books were sitting on a deserted tropical island for many months. Hopefully FFG or wherever you got your set from will be understanding and process a replacement.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had poked around before I had posted the other thread, but didn't see this thread. I just learned of the reprint recently (Haven't done any gaming for a number of reasons in almost 10 years) and just wanted to make sure that those here who love Star Wars D6 knew of it. I stumbled on it while researching Nebulon B Frigates for an art piece for a friend - of all things. I can't say how much I miss Star Wars gaming, or gaming in general. I was surprised, but happy my account still existed.

So much has changed here. It's good to see D6 still alive and played though. It was always my favorite system.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you back, KageRyu!

No hope of gaming in the near or distant future?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: