The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Weapon - Blast-Tube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New Weapon - Blast-Tube Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wouldn't the handle also get hot?

Not if it's an insulative material. A nickel rod for a handle, for example, would remain cool to the touch at the handle end than a copper rod, which would transfer heat easily. That's not even getting into composite materials that don't transfer heat very well at all.
I also assumed he meant the handle was part of the mount, rather than the tube itself, which would offer some extra disconnect between the heat source.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradwardine's post reminded me of a concept that has been on my backburner for a while.

A long time ago, I posted the original stat for the Blast-Tube disposable anti-armor energy weapon here, and later posted an updated and revised stat over on Naaman's Tactical Combat thread.

Now, I've long considered the possibility of larger, multi-use man-portable heavy energy weapons, but I hit a snag in that, in the ImpSB, a light laser cannon is described in passing as a crew-served, tripod-mounted weapon on the same basic scale as the E-Web. The impression I came with was that the lightest laser cannons had to be tied to some sort of power generator, that was most definitely not man portable.

What I came up with instead was a shoulder-fired multi-use weapon that used the same method as the original Blast Tube, firing a single, character-scale energy blast into a solid reactive mass, resulting in a massive burst of power. However, unlike the Blast Tube, its big brother, the Blast Cannon is a breach-loading, shoulder fired weapon loaded with a stripped version of the reactant mass of the Blast Tube (a simple metal cartridge, lacking the locking handle and the attachment system).

Blast-Cannon
Model: Merr-Sonn CX590 Blast-Cannon
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Cost: 3,500 credits (Ammo costs 300 credits per shell)
Availability: 3, R
[b]Range:
100m-300m / 500m / 1km
Fire Control: 1D
Rate of Fire: 1/3 (1/2 if shooter is assisted by a gunner's mate)
Damage: 5D
Ammo: 1 (takes 2 round to reload, 1 if assisted by gunner's mate)
Description: The Blast Cannon is a slow-firing heavy energy weapon designed to be operated by a pair of infantry, and is used to add a hard punch to light infantry units while maintaining mobility. It operates on the same basic principle as its smaller cousin, the Blast-Tube, but is in all respects a superior weapon.

The Blast Cannon uses solid-state ammunition that is converted to a linear plasma discharge at the moment of firing. The individual cartridges are a stripped-down version (.3 meters) of the blast tube, a simple metal case surrounding the reactant mass, and are loaded via a port on top of the weapon.

Unlike the Blast-Tube, which lacks any sort of targeting mechanism beyond whatever can be found on the blaster rifle it is attached to, the Blast Cannon is equipped with a relatively sophisticated targeting system, with built-in magnification and target motion prediction.

The only real drawback to the Blast Cannon is the long reload time, caused primarily by the cool-down time required by all Blast-type weapons. However, operational experience has shown that reload time can be cut by nearly 50% if the gunner is assisted by a spotter/loader (who also assists in identifying additional targets).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for the sake of completeness, here is the updated stats to the original Blast Tube, which I never moved back over from the Tactical Combat thread.

Blast-Tube
Model: Merr-Sonn TX251 Blast-Tube
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Cost: 500 credits
Availability: 2, R
Range: 50m-150m / 250m / 500m
Damage: 4D
Ammo: 1 (Single-shot, disposable attachment)
Game Use:
-The Blast-Tube functions by attaching to the end of the barrel on a standard blaster rifle or carbine. This requires an adaptor that must be permanently installed (50 credits, Very Easy Blaster Repair skill roll to install, requires 15 minutes, and is available anywhere Blast-Tubes are sold).
-Attaching and detaching a Blast-Tube and a blaster rifle counts as a Non-Roll action.
-Firing the Blast-Tube requires expending a single shot from the blaster rifle.
-Once the Blast-Tube has been fired, it is useless and must be discarded. Attempting to fire the Blast-Tube again causes it to explode, inflicting 5D damage to the character and the blaster rifle.
Capsule:
The Blast-Tube is intended as an inexpensive and simple anti-armor energy weapon for light troops. Essentially a single-shot turbolaser, the tube contains a solid state reactant that is activated by firing a standard blaster rifle shot through it.

An unused Blast-Tube consists of a simple .4 meter tube with a hinged handle folded flush against it on one end. To attach it to a blaster rifle, the tube is placed in the mounting bracket handle-up, then twisted 180 degrees, so that the handle is on the bottom, then the handle is folded down away from the tube, toward the gunner. The handle serves both as a stabilizer when firing the tube and to remove the tube after it is fired, as the tube will be too hot to handle immediately.

The Blast-Tube is not particularly accurate, and is shorter ranged and slower to fire than other, dedicated anti-armor energy weapons, but it is easy to use and effective when used properly. Units who use Blast-Tubes generally carry several rounds per trooper, which can then be distributed as needed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: