The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's talk about DICE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Let's talk about DICE! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReverendKeaton wrote:
I am a dice addict. Just want to say that up front. Laughing

I have a large collection dice from various manufacturers. I have never met a die I didn't like. Ok that isn't true. Some of the d20s over the years have been chucked for rolling 1's.

As far as d6 SW I use pips. Since I first started playing Star Wars in 87 I have preferred them to numerals (which I do use for Pathfinder or DnD). And like Whill I prefer my players to use them too. Hence why I bought everyone in my gaming group 10 rounded corner, 16 mm Chessex dice. Every player got one color as well as a translucent red to use as the wild die.

A man cut from the same cloth. You actually started playing before I did. I got the 1e Core and Sb on the day my workplace put them on the shelf for sale in the Fall of '87, I didn't actually start my first campaign until '88. So even I get to call you old timer. Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ReverendKeaton wrote:
I am a dice addict. Just want to say that up front. Laughing

I have a large collection dice from various manufacturers. I have never met a die I didn't like. Ok that isn't true. Some of the d20s over the years have been chucked for rolling 1's.

As far as d6 SW I use pips. Since I first started playing Star Wars in 87 I have preferred them to numerals (which I do use for Pathfinder or DnD). And like Whill I prefer my players to use them too. Hence why I bought everyone in my gaming group 10 rounded corner, 16 mm Chessex dice. Every player got one color as well as a translucent red to use as the wild die.

A man cut from the same cloth. You actually started playing before I did. I got the 1e Core and Sb on the day my workplace put them on the shelf for sale in the Fall of '87, I didn't actually start my first campaign until '88. So even I get to call you old timer. Wink

I remember the day well. The day those books hit the shelf was the day Motodo Severin was born. We could not wait to play. I am not sure my friend's house we were at is even there anymore. I think it may have been demolished. It was the coolest thing that had happened to Star Wars in years. I still have every WEG except for like 7 things on the shelf.

And now I am getting to run another campaign after several years away from it which makes it all the better. And buying my players the right dice Wink to play the game with makes it even sweeter.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked closely at my "frosted" blue dice which also have the physical quality of being translucent even thought they might not be called that, and every single one of them has a visible air bubble in! The bubbles do not appear to be the same shape size or location within each die. Don't get Chessex "frosted" dice!

So our new d6 dice came. For my set I now have the Chessex translucent deep purple 16mm white-pipped dice with a translucent Teal of the same kind as my wild die, and my son has translucent red set of the same kind with one of my purples as his wild die. I'd rather have a pure blue or green translucent wild die, but I'm not going to buy one unless I can buy a single that matches because I've spent enough money. I like the Teal OK so it will do.

I have too many d6 dice sets now, more than enough for myself and 6 players. In my middle age I'm just too old to run groups of more than 6 players - I just refuse to go over that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 16 years ago, I invested in a 'pound of dice', that served as most of my dice for most of that decade, although I did buy a few extra sets and some novelty pieces, like some oversized d20s and a d30.

Earlier this decade, I acquired some Gamescience dice, and also started using dice from old box sets that had acquired from eBay. In addition, I lucked out and got an Armory d30 before those disappeared. (I got into DCC when it came out, so I wound up with some of the funkier polyhedrals to use in that game.)

While I like the older dice, I might have to get some chessex or koplow six siders for games like Star Wars or Shadowrun.

Last edited by Ashikaider on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am plentily filled with dice right now. The ONLY new dice i want to buy is a set of d5,d7,d9 and d11's..
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am plentily filled with dice right now. The ONLY new dice i want to buy is a set of d5,d7,d9 and d11's..

Those are pretty fun to use, along with the d14 and d16.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 5's i can dupilcate by halving a D10.. But i can't see anything for the d7 or 9s..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my eye on these for a couple of years. They look absolutely gorgeous. They're also supposed to be machined to be perfectly balanced to boot, something that Gamescience strived for, but never really achieved.

But that precision comes at way too great a cost. I can't see myself ever dropping the cash needed to get a set.

https://www.artisandice.com/order/optically-clear-acrylic-phthalo/
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashikaider wrote:
About 16 years ago, I invested in a 'pound of dice', that served as most of my dice for most of that decade, although I did buy a few extra sets and some novelty pieces, like some oversized d20s and a d30.

Earlier this decade, I acquired some Gamescience dice, and also started using dice from old box sets that had acquired from eBay. In addition, I lucked out and got an Armory d30 before those disappeared. (I got into DCC when it came out, so I wound up with some of the funkier polyhedrals to use in that game.)

While I like the older dice, I might have to get some chessex or koplow six siders for games like Star Wars or Shadowrun.

I have bought several of the "pound of dice" sets. Mostly to get the skull bags. Laughing I put all the dice out of them into a tray that I allow players without dice to pick from. It is a mixed match assortment.

For the most part I try and avoid the dice area of gaming stores. It is too much temptation. Laughing I see a new color and I am like oooooo shiny.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the shiny new dice colors and I roll-test even proven dice before each play session. The dice section of hobby shops is like the crack dealer on a street corner: we know it's bad, we've had more than enough, but we want more.

Whill wrote:
In my middle age I'm just too old to run groups of more than 6 players - I just refuse to go over that.

Amen!
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I too like the shiny new dice colors and I roll-test even proven dice before each play session. The dice section of hobby shops is like the crack dealer on a street corner: we know it's bad, we've had more than enough, but we want more.

Whill wrote:
In my middle age I'm just too old to run groups of more than 6 players - I just refuse to go over that.

Amen!

I have to admit more than 6 players is taxing anymore. More than four is a bit much if they are teenagers. I tried to teach my niece and nephew how to play. Talk about a chore. Shocked
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
d5,d7,d9,d11,d14,d16,d30

I have no use for these dice. I'm afraid to ask, but are there any games out there that actually use these dice?

I actually have little use for my "D&D" dice sets, but I actually have games on my game shelf that use these polyhedral dice so I have them just in case.

And hey, check out my d2!

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ashikaider
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Quote:
d5,d7,d9,d11,d14,d16,d30

I have no use for these dice. I'm afraid to ask, but are there any games out there that actually use these dice?

I actually have little use for my "D&D" dice sets, but I actually have games on my game shelf that use these polyhedral dice so I have them just in case.

Dungeon Crawl Classics uses all of them for various reasons. The dice can be a little strange to use, but they do add to the enjoyment of the game. DCC uses a dice step system for various things, which when used in the game make sense.

I also have a few GM supplements that are filled with d30 tables that are pretty useful as
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Quote:
d5,d7,d9,d11,d14,d16,d30

Officially, not to my knowledge. However, since i run more ADND 2e these days, than other stuff (except when i am at cons), one of my House rules for when players do a multi-classed PC, is they can roll a die averaging what their two (or three) classes is.. So some of those work out to be d5, 7 or 9.. The D 11/14 and the like, i've just seen people use for home made charts..

EDIT: Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling aps (2019)
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashikaider wrote:
Whill wrote:
Quote:
d5,d7,d9,d11,d14,d16,d30

Dungeon Crawl Classics uses all of them for various reasons. The dice can be a little strange to use, but they do add to the enjoyment of the game. DCC uses a dice step system for various things, which when used in the game make sense.

I also have a few GM supplements that are filled with d30 tables that are pretty useful as

I love DCC. Such a great game. Right down to using all these weird dice, to simulate how hard it could be to source DnD dice back in the day.

Heck I even had a hard time finding enough D6's to play Star Wars, cause I was in grade school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: