The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Music in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Music in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a better recording of the new Han and Leia piece.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

What's the source of this again?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Falconer wrote:

What's the source of this again?

Falconer will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is from this concert:

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/93893
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Does that answer your question, Red 331?
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Does that answer your question, Red 331?

Whoops, sorry, Falconer and Whil - just saw your responses.

Let's see if I got this correct. The debut of the new "Han and Leia" theme was on January 31, 2018, at Copley Symphony Hall (San Diego), with John Williams conducting the San Diego Symphony:

No known recording of this exists.

On February 3, 2018, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra in Glasgow, conducted by Richard Kaufman, performed the new version, which was recorded on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KboCO09N7A4
and converted to mp3.

And on May 24, 2018, John Williams conducted the Boston Pops at the Boston Symphony Hall, which performed a separate, slightly shorter, version of the new suite. This was broadcast online by WCVB radio, and posted on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUuLnzQpXb0
as well as via an online mp3 version.

I think that agrees with the forum discussion on the John Williams Fan Network:
www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28233-john-williams-new-han-solo-and-the-princess-arrangement-debuted-2018
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Music in Star Wars Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I wanted to make a general thread to discuss music.

Do you like Star Wars music? If so, just in the movies, or do you ever enjoy listening to the soundtracks on their own?

I love listening to all of the soundtracks both in the movies and in the car. I get some strange looks from folks when they hear me blasting the soundtracks at a stop light, but I don't care!

Whill wrote:
Do you play Star Wars music during a game session in the background as a mood-setting element? Do you just put in a CD and press play or random for the whole session, or do you play specific tracks at specific times in the adventure?

I tend to build playlists that have a similar theme, while I love the soundtrack as is for listening outside of an RPG session, several of the pieces change dramatically from one movement to the next to fit with the movie, which is inappropriate for a particular scene in a session. So, I've found that some of the cuts from various Star Wars video games work better for background music during play. Jedi Outcast comes to mind, as well as some of the Star Wars strategy games for starship, fleet, and ground battles.

Whill wrote:
Either way, do you use John Williams film music from other movies? Which ones? Do you use non-Williams film music? Which ones? Do you use non-film music? What genres? Classic Rock? What? What artists/albums/songs?

Soundtracks are one of my favorite genres of music, I've collected over the years many movie, game, and TV show soundtracks, which I'll use depending on the feel I'm going for during a particular adventure or even a particular scene. I've got a dive bar in my games which sports a live band of Klatoonians, to which I play a selection of Louis Armstrong songs.

Also, there's a degree of imagery that's associated with certain pieces from the Star Wars soundtracks, and using them for lesser scenes, to me, feels like a disservice to the pieces of music.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Music in Star Wars Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I love listening to all of the [Star Wars] soundtracks both in the movies and in the car. I get some strange looks from folks when they hear me blasting the soundtracks at a stop light, but I don't care!

Sir, I salute both your taste and your audacity. 8)
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s ANOTHER new concert arrangement, called Adagio from The Force Awakens. You’ll recognize the cues that it is based on. Unfortunately we so far have only a cell phone recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFVmmitRJRY&start=480
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
There’s ANOTHER new concert arrangement, called Adagio from The Force Awakens. You’ll recognize the cues that it is based on. Unfortunately we so far have only a cell phone recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFVmmitRJRY&start=480

Torn Apart? I like it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Music in Star Wars Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I love listening to all of the soundtracks both in the movies and in the car. I get some strange looks from folks when they hear me blasting the soundtracks at a stop light, but I don't care!

Cheers! I listen to the soundtracks at home and in the car too. I've taught my son all the major motifs in the car. Back in college my roommate and I got in trouble for blasting the Star Wars soundtrack out of our dorm room window.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I tend to build playlists that have a similar theme, while I love the soundtrack as is for listening outside of an RPG session, several of the pieces change dramatically from one movement to the next to fit with the movie, which is inappropriate for a particular scene in a session.

I'm a playlist guy too, trying to match music that fits each part of the adventure. But I do usually play it low so it is more subliminal and not distracting.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Soundtracks are one of my favorite genres of music, I've collected over the years many movie, game, and TV show soundtracks, which I'll use depending on the feel I'm going for during a particular adventure or even a particular scene.

Me too. I've got more movie than TV scores but I've used both in my adventures.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've got a dive bar in my games which sports a live band of Klatoonians, to which I play a selection of Louis Armstrong songs.

Nice. I also use non-film-score music as diegetic music. My first was back in the late 80s, the pair of rapping protocol droids with black fedoras, gold necklaces, and adidas, with a reprogramed astromech droid as the DJ. The Run-DMC droids are very popular and have appeared all over the galaxy!

I use a lot of rock, but also as non-diegetic "scoring" too. My favorite rock band Clutch has a lot of sci-fi themed lyrics and they have actually inspired some scenarios, meaning that the music sometimes comes first and then I create an encounter to go along with it.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Also, there's a degree of imagery that's associated with certain pieces from the Star Wars soundtracks, and using them for lesser scenes, to me, feels like a disservice to the pieces of music.

I'm trying to think if there is anything too reverent to appear in RPG adventures. I can get hung up on motif appropriateness sometimes. I tend to consider motifs in the broadest sense possible so it seems somehow appropriate (although I am the only one who cares about that - none of my players ever do). Imperial March has gotten used a lot for action scenes with the Empire but nothing to do with Vader himself. But there are some themes that are just no way. The Emperor has only ever appeared in one of my adventures outside of cutaway scenes, so I've only used any music with his theme in that one adventure and the cutaway scenes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you're not sure which soundtracks have stuff you can use, you can preview most tracks from the older games on YouTube.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Shadows of the Empire album. I have the Rebels and two TCB soundtracks. I have string quartet Star Wars. I have metal Star Wars. I have disco Star Wars. I have lounge-music Star Wars. I'm not a video gamer but I would try Star Wars video game music.

RR, I appreciate your answer. I'm probably not going to buy and install games I won't play just to get the music, but it is nice to know that is an option in case I ever want to do that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republic Commando's soundtrack is very cool. The songs are sung in Mandalorian, and the soundtrack comes with lyrics and their translations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNyQD5Yq3E
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Here is an informational article on the Solo score:

https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-composer-john-powell
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Williams wrote a new theme for the Star Wars theme parks currently under construction. Check out the video below.

https://youtu.be/ryorxnoVWxQ
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: