The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG Star Wars Legion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG Star Wars Legion Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: FFG Star Wars Legion Reply with quote

Hey guys, is anyone playing Star Wars Legion? I did a half hearted search for a topic but did not see one...

Its a new mini Wargame out this year, from Fantasy Flight Games. I bought into it recently and have played some invitational matches. Its just getting of the ground at the local Gaming store as far as events. So far I have had a good time every game I've played.

Is anyone else playing? If so what kinds of army builds are you using?

-General Veers
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: FFG Star Wars Legion Reply with quote

I am very interested to hear more about Legion. I haven't bought in yet. I am considering it. I don't like the figures in the core set. But I think if I bought the core set and sold all the figures I could break even? And keep the rules for free.

My fear is, how to get my hands on whatever this game uses as "army lists", be it stat cards with special counters or whatever.

Could I buy a core set, and play it with my old minis? I have... many... Or would I need to buy the expensive expansion models just to get the stat cards?
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response...

This system would work for other mini's I suppose. I did think about making custom cards for character heroes. The core set units are Rebellion troops and Storm troopers, I figured I could use them for the RPG even if the game fizzles. The minis are slightly larger than 28mm though.

The game is geared around short duration (6 rounds) high action unit based combat.

The only time you would have to worry about army lists and such is if you were going to play at a Tournament. You can use an online tool to build armies and look at cards otherwise. Google tabletopadmiral and it should take you to a nice army building tool.

Yes the game is expensive. The recently announced units are E-Web teams, Bobba Fet, Scout troopers, Rebel commando team, Han Solo and rebel artillery emplacements. I recently ordered $250 worth of add on units.

It gets expensive for sure, I am maintaining a flexible army for both sides though which most people are not doing. I've played 11 times and love the game.

You can buy in with a friend and split two box sets with a commander upgrade or so for around $100.

-General Veers
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the core game, love it, most excited I've been at painting in years.

Just making everything "tabletop" quality is helping keep me enthused. Swore I was done painting basic stormtroopers forever so they are lucky the even get painted to tabletop standard!

Found a nice online tutorial for painting the core set rebels in convincing Hoth uniforms using like 4 colors and 2 milliseconds of brush time.

Just spray painted the barricades silver, will rust them up a bit later and then they should look nice.

Need to strip and repaint my Luke, and need a missing part sent from FFG to complete one of my squads but otherwise it is going great.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the core set, will post pics.
The game requires you to use 3 squads of troops per side but only comes with 2 per side. So I got a squad of snowtroopers, when they are done I'll get a squad of whatever rebels strike my fancy. When those are done I'll slowly expand both armies, one box o' toys at a time.

For those unfamiliar with this type of game, you and your opponent buy your army with "points" and each core set army is worth 400 "points" and change. But the game is designed for 800 point armies.

So after I paint a 3rd squad for each army I'll just expand up to 800 one new thing at a time.

At that point I'll probably diverge from using any of the core set models and build an 800 point Imperial that only uses Hothic models, and replace the core set heroes: thegame comes with Luke & Vader to command the armies but I prefer more ordinary looking leaders, luckily the Empire has already got General Veers released.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's a ground based version of X-wing, by the sounds of it.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So it's a ground based version of X-wing, by the sounds of it.

No more than X-Wing is a spaceship version of Hasbro D20 Star Wars minis, or D20 a grid-based version of WEG SWMB. It is not the same game with a different skin if that's what your asking. It is the same in the sense that the starter set isn't enough to play the "real game" indefinitely. The cheapest way to play the "real game" is to buy two core sets and any one rebel expansion. That would give you two 800 point armies and enough of the gaming aide that are underrepresented in the core box.

Starter boxes that don't have enough mnis to do more than test drive the rules have been the industry norm for, oh I don't know, 25 years. So the people who have been shocked that first X-Wing years ago, and now, Legion require expansions to play a "real sized" game confuse me. I think it's cause FFG's faithful customers who follow them as one would a band or sport are used to boardgames like CLUE and Monopoly. This is a right proper miniature wargame game seems designed to draw in new customers, not appeal to the board game connoisseurs they've built a following with. The miniatures will stay snapped together... but won't stand up without gluing their feet to the bases. You cannot play this without blu-tac or superglue to temporarily or permanently affix the playing pieces to their bases.

I ran a demo game of it last night, people caught on pretty fast. Some things you can ignore: the game "requires" using 3 troops units but only comes with 2 per side which is no problem since using the core armies both players break that rule. But the command mechanics are just obviously designed for roughly twice the toys that come in the box. The morale mechanic is pretty clearly designed for a roughly 3x6 table, not the small tables that demo games are often run on.

Now, WEG SWMB is why I got into all of gaming. I never would have been into miniatures, RPG's etc. without that. So any game where you push little SW guys around a felt field, I'm going to try out. Of the 4 so far (D6, D20, SW:IA, and now SW:L) all are so different as to make meaningful rankings impossible.

I guess the best endorsement I can give this game is, I painted my core set in a week like a book I couldn't put down, and after that I ran out and grabbed an expansion to make my imps legal because I just can't stop. I have got a good start on painting that expansion and fearing it's completion I ordered an Imperial commander online to replace Vader cause I don't like playing with deeply canonical characters like him. My fears about scale creep making the minis too hard to paint were incorrect. For experienced painters it may require learning new tricks however.

The game is fun and the command structure doesn't blow the feeling of infantry skirmishes like I feared based, on descriptions of the game I'd read. People made it sound like the perfect command system for an ancient or medieval game, clumsily imposed onto high-tech loose order warfare. That is not the case at all.

Now as time goes on I'm sure power-creep will distort the game away from anything recognizably Star-Warsy in tournament circles. But for gaming groups that paint their minis and don't buy 7 of some expansion to ruthlessly exploit a loophole, that won't matter.

Personally I don't really like board, video, or card games. But I do have about 20 miniature wargames and this one holds up among them. Most of the negative talk about it online seems to boil down to "I've only played boardgames before and this isn't a boardgame therefore it's bad."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing the Xwing game today (got my butt whupped, but then it IS only my 5th time playing it) in a pick up game, at the Orc forge store in Tuttle mall.. And chatting with 3 other guys who have looked into the legion game, one actually made the thought "Wouldn't it be interesting to run a Empire at War, like campaign, where you have a mix of legion, xwing, AND armada battles? So start large in armada, go down to xwing for skirmishes, then legion for the ground war, taking planet by planet??
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Tauntaun! Yeah it re-ignited painting for me too. Its been half the fun.

I found Storm Troopers easy to paint. White primer black wash is the way to go. There are some nice tutorials out there.

I just bought my second ATST. Time for some Rebel stomping! General Veers offers some nice vehicle command cards too.

They are releasing E-Web teams shortly as well.

-General Veers
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also nabbed some styrofoam casts for batteries at work and made an industrial table:

https://ibb.co/jxudYd

-General Veers
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest in the FFG miniature games (X-Wing, Armada and likely this, too) is going to be almost exclusively as fodder for D6 stats. At the moment, it seems there isn’t a whole lot of original material to work with.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My interest in the FFG miniature games (X-Wing, Armada and likely this, too) is going to be almost exclusively as fodder for D6 stats. At the moment, it seems there isn’t a whole lot of original material to work with.

Well that may be but, I got into the D6 RPG (and by extension all of gaming) only because of the D6 miniatures, whereas for most people it was the other way around. So anytime there is a Star Wars game about pushing little toy people around a table, I am all in. I used to resist but now I know from multiple past game releases, it's not if I play it, but when.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted your double post.

Miniatures of any kind tend to be fun to play, I agree.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been into SW gaming long before i even saw any minis for it.. Though i HAD been playing ADND for around 5 yrs before hand, and had seen minis for it, as well as played battletech.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if there had been no minis for SW D6, I never would have been into gaming at all.

Photos of my Legion stuff is here. https://imgur.com/a/6qi8vo6
Very quick and dirty paintjobs. I might have 10 hours of actual work into my whole collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: