The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars The Last Jedi Novelization - Expanded Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars The Last Jedi Novelization - Expanded Edition Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which of kirks deaths in generations are you on about? The first when the ribbon took him from the Enterprise B, or the other one, after Picard rescued him?

I don't really consider the Enterprise-B ribbon death a death, since he was pulled into the Nexus.

But, dying on the rocks? C'mon! This is CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK!

He should have gone out in the Captain's chair, commanding a starship, saving the day.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Leia has been here before, back before she was a princess.

wait....what?

Before she was a princess?

I assumed she was a princess as soon as Bail took her as his own infant daughter.

Did you mean before she was a senator?
or before she was a rebel?
or before she was a general?
or before she was in the resistance?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

wait....what?

I assumed she was a princess as soon as Bail took her as his own infant daughter.

Did you mean before she was a senator?
or before she was a rebel?
or before she was a general?
or before she was in the resistance?

No, I meant before a princess. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the story about her being on Crait happens before Leia is awarded the crown. I'm not sure because I haven't read that book. But, I think she gets to be a princess at age 16 or so.

Here's the book. It's YA material, so I probably won't read it. CLICKY, CLICKY.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

wait....what?

Did you mean...?

No, I meant before a princess. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the story about her being on Crait happens before Leia is awarded the crown. I'm not sure because I haven't read that book. But, I think she gets to be a princess at age 16 or so.

According to the canon Wookieepedia entry on Leia, she was known as a princess as a small child. The article seems well-sourced.

As far as the Legends Leia, I remember reading in the Crispin Han Solo Trilogy that 16 is the "age of responsibility" (the start of adulthood) on Alderaan and that is when Leia became an Imperial senator.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, however, HAVE read the book.

While Leia was a princess of Alderaan from the moment Bail & Breha adopted her, she was not recognized as heir until she underwent a series of self-chosen trials. Between announcing those trials and completing them is when Leia, Princess of Alderaan takes place. She and a member of her family's usual flight crew make the trip to Crait when she discovers an anomaly in her mother's accounts, while trying to figure out what her parents were up to.

She also meets Emmeline Holdo and loses her virginity to an Alderaanian Loyalist/Protectionist, who she has to let die so he doesn't destroy the nascent Rebellion.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
While Leia was a princess of Alderaan from the moment Bail & Breha adopted her, she was not recognized as heir until she underwent a series of self-chosen trials. Between announcing those trials and completing them is when Leia, Princess of Alderaan takes place.

So she was "princess not princess" until completing the trials. Thanks for the clarification.

MrNexx wrote:
She also meets Emmeline Holdo and loses her virginity to an Alderaanian Loyalist/Protectionist, who she has to let die so he doesn't destroy the nascent Rebellion.

Prince Leia not a virgin?! Thanks for ruining Star Wars for me, man!

Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugggghhhhh
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Ugggghhhhh

Let Go, Falconer.

Breathe. Just, Breathe.

Close your eyes. Open your feelings.

And, let go....

CLICKY, CLICKY.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry, man. I want to compartmentalize, and chill, and always be positive. The thing is, Star Wars has been in my brain for a very long time, and I have a hard time whenever the meaning of the OT is changed through the prism of some of these new works.

The hardest one for me, as I gather it is for some of you, is that the ending of RotJ suggests that Alliance to Restore the Republic was successful in its aim, and that Luke Skywalker restored the Jedi Order (as Yoda asked). On one level, I get the whole cyclical thing, but still, it is a bitter pill to swallow, the idea that the heroes of Yavin and Endor were a complete failure after all.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
While Leia was a princess of Alderaan from the moment Bail & Breha adopted her, she was not recognized as heir until she underwent a series of self-chosen trials. Between announcing those trials and completing them is when Leia, Princess of Alderaan takes place.

So she was "princess not princess" until completing the trials. Thanks for the clarification.

Pretty much. Before the book, it was a courtesy title. Had she had more brothers and sisters, they would've also been Princes and Princesses, but they would not have been the Heir.

Quote:
MrNexx wrote:

Prince Leia not a virgin?! Thanks for ruining Star Wars for me, man!

Really, if I don't ruin Star Wars for SOMEONE every day, I consider it a wasted day. Wink
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, all this stuff about the Unknown Regions seems familiar. Today, I put my finger on that. It's Dark Empire.

In that Dark Horse comic story, Palpatine did some similar things. He had a region of space where he was secretly building infrastructure. By the time time of the story, he had the Eclipse, the super star destroyer. He had the Galaxy Gun. He had the World Devastators. He had legions of troops. He had cloning facilities.

All of this not unlike Starkiller Base, the Supremacy, all the star destroyers plus the dreadnought. And, of course, the First Order.

The difference is that, in Dark Empire, Palpatine turned to the deep core--the center of the galaxy. To the planet Byss.

In the new Disney stuff, it seems as if we are being directed to the Unknown Regions.

Have you seen the newer maps of the galaxy? If you look at a flat map, the Star Wars galaxy seems to be three quarters explored. To galactic "West", it's a big, unknown area.

Do a Google Images search for "Star Wars Galaxy Map," and you'll find several that look like this...

Lots of empty space in the Unknown Regions.

The Unknown Regions: That part of the galaxy where the main host of the Empire retreated after the Galactic Civil War.

The Unknown Regions: Where Palpatine is thought to have found his extreme Dark Side power.

The Unknown Regions: Snoke is from that part of space.

The Unknown Regions: The area of space where the First Order blossomed over the last three or four decades before revealing itself to the galaxy in a big way with Starkiller Base.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Unknown Regions Reply with quote

Until contradicted by Disney Canon, all Legends continuity is potential canon until (re)canonized. That includes all the planets and star systems. One thing Disney has not done (to my knowledge) is move any Legends systems from their Legends locations. To not jack-up a lot of Legends continuity available for canon writers, the only place left in the galaxy for the First Order is the Unknown Regions. I really appreciate their policy in this respect. The Unknown Regions is creatively ripe for the picking. The only thing is, over time the Unknown Regions will become less and less unknown.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brain keeps going to this when we say "Unknown Regions"

Don't make me turn Voltron into d6 stats, stupid brain. Please don't make me do that. I have actual paying work to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: