The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character status tracking when using mini's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Character status tracking when using mini's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Character status tracking when using mini's Reply with quote

OK. So you have certain wound status that might matter (ko'ed), certain weapon/effect status that might matter, (Glopped/netted) and the like.

So when using mini's in game, how do you mark said statuses? Put a little chit with the status wrote on, by the mini? Put a poker chip under the mini? Put something else there? OR do you put it all by the player/s cha sheet?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheet.

Or notate it on the map. I don't use minis, but I do use large sheets of graph paper sometimes, using a black marker to draw. I'll make all sorts of notes on the side of the map paper. I'll even record initiative scores there (in different games--like D&D).

Sometimes, I place the graph paper on a big cork board. I use thumb pins to represent minis, and I buy colored dots to put on top of the thumb pins. I can number the pins, too, using a pen, if I want.

That way, all stormtroopers are in red. Imperial officers are in yellow. The PCs are all in blue. Etc.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably none of the above.

This very rarely occurs in practice. If and when it did, I would only bother putting down some kind of signifer if what I was noting was some kind of barrier to movement or LOS that effects other characters. (Surely the glopped character can remember he's stuck to the deck with sticky goop, so he doesn't need a chip or post it note.) If I bothered to put down a signifer, I would likely put down a post it note or draw a web on an erasable board or hastily drawn map.

Its more likely that I would note it on a GM character sheet. (Never on a player character sheet.) If I did that, I'd probably use a post it note (first choice) or lightly write it in pencil (second choice).

I don't often need to look at my copies of player character sheets. So I'd be way more likely to just scribble it on a notes page or piece of scratch paper where I jot down various GM notes during an adventure that to go to the effort of pulling out the specific character sheet just to make a note.

Since this is a temp status not a lasting or even long term temporary change, I'd be far more likely to just keep track of a temp status like that mentally.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mark the miniature in any way. I just tell the player his status, usually with a dramatic description, and expect him to play accordingly. The other characters will usually react by covering or applying first aid to their injured compatriot.
NutUrFatha
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So when using mini's in game, how do you mark said statuses? Put a little chit with the status wrote on, by the mini? Put a poker chip under the mini? Put something else there? OR do you put it all by the player/s cha sheet?

I use a combination of both.

First, I made sure my players make it their business to keep track of their status (health, ammo, armour, etc.). To make keeping track easier and more fun for them, I took inspiration from board games, such as Legend of Andor and Secrets of the Lost Tomb, and created a customized (and continually) customizeable character sheet and all sorts of the most common markers. We use dice to keep track of CPs, FPs, and ammo.

For the character markers on the battle map, I use the same markers and dice (for example, to indicate dodge numbers for a given round).

For example, I made markers for:

melee weapons
blasters
first aid kids
stunned status
wounded status
inc. status
grenades
armour
money (Imperial Credits)
personal items always carried by the characters (bracelets, comlinks, belts)

The markers always feature a pic of the item, and the stats (if any) that are relevant for using that item (for example, range, damage, ammo for blasters)

ammo, cps, fps are - as said - indicated by dice (you turn the die when you substract or add; you add dice when you go over 6)
For example, on the customized sheet, we have a column that says "clips" (you put a die there to indicate the number of ammo clips you carry for a given weapon). Below that you place differently-colored dice indicating the shots left in a clip.

I also created a distance measuring ruler, inspired by table top games like Warhammer. You can use it to quickly determine range and radius.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, there's not that many status changes that require different markings for using miniatures.
For instance, for a KO (which is a.k.a. Incapacitated) the player would mark that on his sheet, and on the tabletop I would just lie the mini down on its back. If the PC is in dire straits, ie. Mortally Wounded, then no other marker is really necessary since the player himself would most likely be very loudly reminding the other players present, "Please get over to me!!!"

But for a glopped or netted condition, okay, one technique I like to use (and this also goes for other combat-conditions in other fantasy games, for instance) is to place a colored ring on the mini. Have you noticed that all pop bottles with plastic caps have a plastic ring on the neck? Coke has red caps and red rings, Pepsi has blue caps/rings, and so on. I like to pry off the various rings from pop bottles or juice bottles (or booze bottles) to get a collection of various colors that you can designate mean various conditions.

Or, in the absence of coke bottles, you can get a bunch of twist-ties (that you get with any electronic cable bought from anywhere) of different colors, make each into a ring like above and use them the same way.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some solid colour poker chips just larger than the Star Wars mini bases which we place under the mini. Blue for stuns (1 or 2) red for wounds (1 or 2) but don't really bother with worse conditions, though you could I suppose.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When 4e D&D was out, there were a lot of status chits designed to go under standard-sized miniatures... a red one for bloodied, another for flying, etc. Once you got the code down, it made it easy to tell, at a glance, things your characters would also see at a glance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For adnd games, i made 2 by 2 inch cardstock cut outs for various trackings, such as "light in eyes/darkness in eyes, paralyzed, magically confused" in red for negative things, and "bless/chant/prayer/strength enhanced" in green for positives..

For poker chips, i use el-cheepo white/blue/red for HP tracking (white - 1hp, red - 5hp, blue - 10hp), and more "up-town" ones that look like proper poker chips to represent horses/mules and other mounts...
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniatures game came with chits to photocopy and cut out like "wounded", "stunned", etc. But for the RPG I'd have those notes on character sheets or scrap paper. Not on the table.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use different color round flat plastic markers/tokens of different colors.

stun is yellow
dead is red
blue are imobilized, but no stun and so on

the colors and what they mean can vary from time to time, not often used
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use slightly smaller poker chips (just bigger than the standard 35mm base) Blue for stuns, red for wounds, but nothing else is really necessary as once they're I or MW, they're not keeping track of Die penalties (which is really the only reason they're needed)

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: