The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What's your optimal PC group size?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What's your optimal PC group size? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allow full CPs based on physical presence of the character, because the character is still in danger, but not for good roleplaying...because...obvious. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you split it up then??
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I award everyone a base amount based on the danger or complexity of the session. Everyone gets that amount, even the characters of absent players if the characters participated.

Then, each character is awarded bonus CPs based on the fulfillment of personality traits, (see other thread in house rules).

Also, in my current game, each player is awarded resolnare points, which are gained for upholding the mando way of life. Those points go toward raising ijaat...their honour/ standing within the clan.
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Missing in action Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
How do you guys handle the situation when players can't make a session?

Player absence = character absence

In my current game, we knew that full attendance among a group of busy adult gamers was very unlikely. We've cultivated a large group of players to ensure that we always have a quorum. We also adopted a few creative constraints or rules that complement our drop-in approach:
  • When session ends, so does story (episodic stories over serialized ones)
  • Stories may be told out of sequence, to suit characters present or established facts
  • Each story spotlights single character, whose player may establish session's "A" plot
  • Characters have strong, flexible bonds among them, for effective mixing and matching
  • Embrace metagame knowledge and use to enhance story (e.g., with dramatic irony)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing in action Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
How do you guys handle the situation when players can't make a session?

Player absence = character absence

In my current game, we knew that full attendance among a group of busy adult gamers was very unlikely. We've cultivated a large group of players to ensure that we always have a quorum. We also adopted a few creative constraints or rules that complement our drop-in approach:
  • When session ends, so does story (episodic stories over serialized ones)
  • Stories may be told out of sequence, to suit characters present or established facts
  • Each story spotlights single character, whose player may establish session's "A" plot
  • Characters have strong, flexible bonds among them, for effective mixing and matching
  • Embrace metagame knowledge and use to enhance story (e.g., with dramatic irony)

So what happens if you get into a big combat, and people have to leave (times running out??
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing in action Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So what happens if you get into a big combat, and people have to leave (time's running out)?

Good question, garhkal!

Generally, if we find ourselves in middle of combat and less than 45 session mins remain, we narrow the scope of the scene to its essentials.

A straightforward example from a past session:

Rig (a Cathar pirate) is this session's spotlight character.

Rig, et al. are engaged with upstart Sedrik Undar (a Nagai pirate) and a band of mutineers who claimed Rig's pirate vessel at some point before the campaign began. As the heroes battle their foes in the vessel's main corridor, we note the session must soon end.

The essential question of this scene (and, further, this session): Can Rig can defeat his rival and reclaim his ship?

Had we all the time in the world, the struggle among all heroes and mutineers might significantly influence the answer to that question. Since we don't have the time, we narrow scope to Rig and Sedrik, who duel with ornamental cutlasses to determine the ship's fate.

This narrowed scope, focused on the two combatants, supports our story aims because 1) there's a greater chance a one-on-one fight will end quickly (esp. in 1E, when a single blow sends an opponent to the floor) and 2) Rig is the spotlight character, so he gets his moment of drama.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 players is the perfect number for me, I find it gives the players more options in play and I can focus on their individual stories more intensely.

That being said, I've played with two (for a year) and running a game for three right now (for two years), though you need player's who are good at keeping the energy levels up and close enough in real life that they are comfortable working that closely and intensely together. Not good for shy or casual players!

I have occasionally ran for 5 (or more) but I find it only works for me if you have a couple of 'quiet' players.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Missing in action Reply with quote

Cap'nCodskale wrote:
garhkal wrote:
So what happens if you get into a big combat, and people have to leave (time's running out)?

Good question, garhkal!

Generally, if we find ourselves in middle of combat and less than 45 session mins remain, we narrow the scope of the scene to its essentials.

A straightforward example from a past session:

Rig (a Cathar pirate) is this session's spotlight character.

Rig, et al. are engaged with upstart Sedrik Undar (a Nagai pirate) and a band of mutineers who claimed Rig's pirate vessel at some point before the campaign began. As the heroes battle their foes in the vessel's main corridor, we note the session must soon end.

The essential question of this scene (and, further, this session): Can Rig can defeat his rival and reclaim his ship?

Had we all the time in the world, the struggle among all heroes and mutineers might significantly influence the answer to that question. Since we don't have the time, we narrow scope to Rig and Sedrik, who duel with ornamental cutlasses to determine the ship's fate.

This narrowed scope, focused on the two combatants, supports our story aims because 1) there's a greater chance a one-on-one fight will end quickly (esp. in 1E, when a single blow sends an opponent to the floor) and 2) Rig is the spotlight character, so he gets his moment of drama.

"Spotlight" characters? Is that meaning you just focus on his (or her) PC?
What happens to the other pcs???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: