The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

d6 convert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> d6 convert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: d6 convert Reply with quote

I'm going to try and run my first game in this tomorrow. Do you guys have any advice for someone coming from Saga Edition?
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also which edition do you suggest?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alastor. I'm pretty familiar with the SAGA Edition, and I'm more than happy to talk about some of the differences between the systems. I still play in a monthly SAGA game that's been going on for about... oh... five years.

What edition you play really depends on what you're looking for. 1st edition is very much a broad brush stroke version of the game mechanics. 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded is my personal go-to. It has some crunchier bits, but it's still broader and more cinematic than SAGA edition.

What SAGA does well is tactical combat accounting for all of the minutia. That is to say, it can provide something for your character if you are adjacent to a character unaware of your presence while you are making an unarmed attack (something my brawler is PARTICULARLY good at).

D6 allows for a much more loose encounter with your environment. There is not a required feat you are required to have in order to pick up your oponent and throw them down a reactor shaft. The GM just picks the difficulty for making the attack, add a MAP for lifting them, and then throw.

I would say don't be quite so worried about exact distances, trying to calculate what bonuses someone would get for being in better or worse tactical position. Allow for a more character options that are there for style points than for tactical advantage. That is to say, if someone is carrying to vibroblades, then that's great. The RAW don't give them a bonus or penalty for having one in each hand. They have it because it's part of their character.

Also, allow for things to be fluid and dynamic with the Wild Die. Often time GMs that come over from a d20 system want to treat the Wild Die like a "critical success/critical failure" indicator. Don't. A 1 in 6 chance for a critical failure is no fun for anyone. Instead, think of it as adding a narrative complication. If the character reaches the difficulty number, but rolls a 1, then treat it as a, "You succeed, but..." Maybe they're attacking a carnivorous plant, and they get a good solid hit, but they also burst a sac containing digestive enzymes that are now spraying EVERYWHERE.

Also, don't feel bound to the 1 on the Wild. Even the rules say that you should feel free to ignore it. I've done so several times when I can't think of anything good to put in and/or the player has been burdened with particularly bad luck.

Anyway, that's all that comes immediately to mind. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I see about d6 but I'm scared my players will die too quickly and I want to have Jedi but lightsaber combat looks scary.

As I mentioned elsewhere I have been playing with the idea of "borrowing" FFG's Attributes, Skills and Force Powers.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing. If it's your first go at it, then I would suggest encouraging your players to use character templates rather than having them do their own builds from scratch. Don't force them, obviously, but strongly encourage.

The reason for that is because the d20 systems tend to have such a rigid construction, that it's much harder to build unbalanced characters from the start. Granted, if you know how to work the system, you can build HORRIBLY unbalanced characters (In our group we had someone at level 7 obliterate a Rancor within a couple of rounds.)

In D6 the build process and advancement process can come unhinged if you let characters have everything they want. Someone could easily turn out with a 6D in blaster straight out of the gate, something that IMHO is inappropriate for a brand new character. Granted, the character will have shortcomings in other areas, and a good GM will know how to include adventure elements to make things challenge for the group's resident "walking trigger finger."

Basically, a permissive GM can let the players break the game. Experience usually helps you tell the difference between what will and what won't. But WEG did a good job of providing template for those who didn't have any experience under their belts.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as edition, I recommend the Fan-made REUP which can be found here on the forum.

My advice is keep an eye on lethality. It is very possible to have a one hit kill in this game, even with weak enemies.

Also, figure out the difference between Mechanical and Technical. The difference isnt really intuitive.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good point about lethality. It seems like SAGA is really designed to protect your characters from death. It can happen, but it usually feels like the GM is TRYING to make it happen.

Your players should keep somewhere between 5-10 character points on hand just to use to boost soak rolls when it comes to getting hit. Usually your efforts should be spent in not getting hit, in stark contrast to SAGA.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only advice is once you have a basic understanding of the rules play fast and loose. Focus on story and reward players for roleplaying over grind house style combat. It's all about the characters and their adventure.

If you want to make your characters a little more survivable you could use a house rule I employ... Allow them to use their stamina skill (up to the species Str max [typically 4D for humans]) to resist damage. But it's very true that emphasis should always be put on dodge which is not limited by species maximums.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Oh, one more thing. If it's your first go at it, then I would suggest encouraging your players to use character templates rather than having them do their own builds from scratch. Don't force them, obviously, but strongly encourage.

Excellent advice- I LOVE templates! I would amend the last bit... don't force them, but channel them. Ask what they want to run and amend an existing template to fit the concept, and leave out wacky unbalanced race abilities if necessary.

Also, be sure to include a wide variety of encounter types that call for checks on all 6 ability scores. Even a group of mercs should be sorry if they have no one that can repair their weapons or swindle a guard or climb a wall, etc.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know if you want to lower the "lethality" of the game just treat any result of greater than Wounded as unconscious. When they wake up take away a level of wound if you feel the need.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combat rules ARE theoretcally lethal... but that's what makes it fun!

BUT... it really comes down to how the GM plays it... and how reckless your players are. I've only seen a few deaths in Star Wars games (as a player or GM) and I've played for decades...

Saga is the best of the D20 versions, but it's probably the third best... Play D6!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: