The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Chewie used his claws in TFA?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Other Star Wars Games -> Chewie used his claws in TFA? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4232
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I never liked the idea of wookiees having claws in the first place.
There is no evidence in the films.

It seems like something someone thought would be a good idea; "They live in trees? Claws would help them climb..." (Lots of primates climb just fine without climbing claws)

Which led to the problem of why they were never seen, considering they would be pretty effective when used by such a robust and powerful species.

"Oh...well...it's really dishonourable to do it in a fight. No one would respect you."

I tend to think restrictions like that would fall by the wayside when fighting the Empire that was enslaving your species.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
But to just give wookiees claws as an afterthought and decide they can't use them...

I agree with Dredwulf. Wookiees weren't shown to have claws in the films. Zahn is the author who added them just because he thought Wookiees should have them, but then had to create a reason why they were never used in the films so came up with the honor thing. They don't serve any real purpose because primates don't need climbing claws to be good climbers. Hands with opposable thumbs (which Wookiees have) are very helpful for climbing too. So the whole climbing claws/forbidden/honor thing is a lot of trouble to go through when it would just be easier to say there aren't claws and Wookiees are good climbers anyway. Wookiees already have high Strength which gives them a higher default to Climb skill roles.

I also did away with the berserker rage rules for Wookiees. I'm not saying Wookiees don't tend to get angry when their friends are in danger, but that is a story factor for me and doesn't need game mechanics to say when the character rages and how they can be calmed down.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Falconer
Commander
Commander


Joined: 08 Dec 2014
Posts: 258

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wookiees weren't shown to have claws in the films.

'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4232
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:
...Wookiees weren't shown to have claws in the films...

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Agreed, which is why I didn't argue that Wookiees don't have claws just because they weren't seen in the films. If you put that sentence back in the context of my post, my point is that the whole honor thing is a contrivance for Wookiees not using claws they don't actually even need in the first place. IMO not everything Zahn invents is pure gold.

Who knows? Maybe Solo will show Wookiee claws and maybe I'll want to adopt that into my personal canon. But so far, I haven't seen any compelling reason for Wookiees to have climbing claws.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Falconer
Commander
Commander


Joined: 08 Dec 2014
Posts: 258

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just seemed like an obvious joke at the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11526
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Which led to the problem of why they were never seen, considering they would be pretty effective when used by such a robust and powerful species.

"Oh...well...it's really dishonourable to do it in a fight. No one would respect you."

I tend to think restrictions like that would fall by the wayside when fighting the Empire that was enslaving your species.


You're not the only one that held that opinion...
Whill wrote:
I also did away with the berserker rage rules for Wookiees. I'm not saying Wookiees don't tend to get angry when their friends are in danger, but that is a story factor for me and doesn't need game mechanics to say when the character rages and how they can be calmed down.


I like the berseker rage thing, but always felt it should me more akin to how other game systems handled being beserkered. Where you couldn't tell friend from foe, and fought as long as 'there was someone to fight' in view..
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1154
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the whole "Wookiees have claws" thing was shot down for me for good when I saw Chewie planting the bombs at the thermal oscillator in TFA. There's a particular shot of Chewie (or Joonas Suotamo as Chewie, if you prefer) with the camera focused on his hand planting a bomb on a bulkhead at about head level. You can clearly see that Chewie has human(-like) fingers through the Chewbacca makeup without a hint of anything that could be considered claws. Even the fingernails are clearly visible.

Funny thing about that is they made sure to give Snoke claws. If you watch the Snoke/Andy Serkis Special Feature in the TLJ Bluray, you can clearly see Serkis wearing clawlike prosthetics over his hands when Snoke/Serkis grabs Rey's head during his breaking speech to her. Granted, this is justified by Snoke not being human, but its still pretty jarring to see that they thought of this detail for Snoke in TLJ but not for Chewie in TFA.
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4232
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Granted, this is justified by Snoke not being human, but its still pretty jarring to see that they thought of this detail for Snoke in TLJ but not for Chewie in TFA.

Sharp claw nails is much more fitting for the Snoke character than Chewbacca. It makes him more hideous.

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, the whole "Wookiees have claws" thing was shot down for me for good when I saw Chewie planting the bombs at the thermal oscillator in TFA. There's a particular shot of Chewie (or Joonas Suotamo as Chewie, if you prefer) with the camera focused on his hand planting a bomb on a bulkhead at about head level. You can clearly see that Chewie has human(-like) fingers through the Chewbacca makeup without a hint of anything that could be considered claws. Even the fingernails are clearly visible.

I'm with you 100%, but I think that some fans imagine the claws to be completely concealed and magically appear somewhere out of nowhere kinda like Wolverine, so that TFA close-up of Chewie's normal fingernails probably won't deter them from believing in Wookiee Claws.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 11526
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way i've always envisioned the claws, are akin more to how bears have theirs, but are retractable to between their fingers..
_________________
It's Not who you kill, but how they die!
You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is coming, and you cannot hit it if you do not know its there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voltron64
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: 18 Nov 2014
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd simply assume Madclaw only counts when you use your claws on other Wookiees.

Non-Wookiees on the other hand are fair game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Other Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0