The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Remastered Star Wars Soundtracks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Remastered Star Wars Soundtracks Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer, I made one big playlist based on your lists. Thank you!

Falconer wrote:
* - For “Han Solo and the Princess” there is the regular film cue which is in main listening order; then there is a greatly expanded concert piece which I considered essential. I purchased this track from the Gerhardt album and added to my list.

** - The “Jabba the Hutt” is the other missing concert piece, that I know of, which I supplied from this album.

I didn't have either one of these so picked them up. I like them both. The Jabba concert suite is reminiscent of E.T. in part.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! FWIW, I like to listen to Princess Leia’s Theme first, sort of as an Overture to Star Wars. For the other two movies, I generally like to listen to either the film score or the suites, not both. Otherwise some of those themes tend to overstay their welcome (too much Imperial Theme and Han+Leia Theme in ESB, too much Ewok music in RotJ…).
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Great! FWIW, I like to listen to Princess Leia’s Theme first, sort of as an Overture to Star Wars. For the other two movies, I generally like to listen to either the film score or the suites, not both. Otherwise some of those themes tend to overstay their welcome (too much Imperial Theme and Han+Leia Theme in ESB, too much Ewok music in RotJ…).

I enjoy listening to just the suites sometimes. And I like Princess Leia's Theme but I just have to say that the Main Title (Luke's theme) is the overture to Star Wars!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a cue from Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance and use "Brother and Sister" as an alternate starting theme to my game.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
I took a cue from Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance and use "Brother and Sister" as an alternate starting theme to my game.

Every adventure starts out with Brother and Sister? That mood is an interesting choice to start off your game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Every adventure starts out with Brother and Sister? That mood is an interesting choice to start off your game.

It's an alternative opening theme for slower sessions starting at home base or after we've gone on break, nice and mellow before the shooting starts.

Typically, I just use which ever opening theme is appropriate to start in medias res. Revenge of the Sith's opening theme is great for starting in the thick of a space battle, while A New Hope's opener works for most other combat or chases.

Something I've been wanting to try is editing music to use with something like Syrinscape, so I'd have looped tracks continuously playing, and then with the touch of a button, jump into "TIE Fighter Attack." Of course, it'd definitely be for personal use only.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t resist tinkering, so, my track list for Star Wars now looks like this:

01 Princess Leia's Theme
02 Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare w
03 Main Title
04 Imperial Attack
05 The Desert
06 The Little People Work
07 The Robot Auction
08 The Princess Appears
09 The Land of the Sand People
10 Inner City B
11 The Return Home
12 A Hive of Villainy
13 Cantina Band
14 Cantina Band #2
15 Inner City C
16 Blasting Off
17 Destruction of Alderaan
18 Inner City A
19 Mouse Robot
20 The Last Battle A
21 Rescue of the Princess A
22 The Walls Converge
23 The Last Battle B
24 Rescue of the Princess B
25 Ben's Death / TIE Fighter Attack
26 Standing By
27 The Last Battle C / D
28 The Throne Room / End Title

Obviously the goal was to put it into chronological (film) order. I couldn’t ever bring myself to enjoy the skipping around. I broke up some of the tracks myself; for some, I resorted to other sources (fan edits), but I made sure to listen carefully and make sure they matched the original Anthology tracks in quality. Also, I removed the “End Title” material from the “Main Title”; I never liked that segue.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
I can’t resist tinkering, so, my track list for Star Wars now looks like this:

01 Princess Leia's Theme
02 Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare w
03 Main Title
04 Imperial Attack
05 The Desert
06 The Little People Work
07 The Robot Auction
08 The Princess Appears
09 The Land of the Sand People
10 Inner City B
11 The Return Home
12 A Hive of Villainy
13 Cantina Band
14 Cantina Band #2
15 Inner City C
16 Blasting Off
17 Destruction of Alderaan
18 Inner City A
19 Mouse Robot
20 The Last Battle A
21 Rescue of the Princess A
22 The Walls Converge
23 The Last Battle B
24 Rescue of the Princess B
25 Ben's Death / TIE Fighter Attack
26 Standing By
27 The Last Battle C / D
28 The Throne Room / End Title

Obviously the goal was to put it into chronological (film) order. I couldn’t ever bring myself to enjoy the skipping around. I broke up some of the tracks myself; for some, I resorted to other sources (fan edits), but I made sure to listen carefully and make sure they matched the original Anthology tracks in quality.

Yeah the multiple queue tracks out of chronological order wouldn't be my first choice either, but if I just put the music on as background music it usually doesn't really bother me. Without having those tracks broken up, I'm stuck with as close as I can get. I did move The Desert/The Robot Auction down to after The Little People Work.

Falconer wrote:
Also, I removed the “End Title” material from the “Main Title”; I never liked that segue.

The End Title material is what makes that Main Title track the Star Wars Overture.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but the action scene of the Imperial Cruiser overtaking the Rebel Blockade Runner occurs in the middle of it. So the curtain rises and then goes back down again? It’s rather strange.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree that it is strange when thinking of the film, but for a purely musical experience (audio only, no curtains), then it is ok for me. John Williams thought it would be ok for an album experience. He obviously wanted the track to have a more proper ending.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sure, it was a hit single, of course, with Cantina Band on the B side, right? It is Star Wars: The Song! It works well musically, as do all of the segues on the album. Just, for me personally, when I listen, with the way my brain works, the Tantive IV is being boarded, and the action must continue.

The other thing about the Princess Leia's Theme track as such is that I associate it most strongly with the 2nd and 3rd chapters of the Radio Drama, in which it is utilized so poignantly. So again it seems like the right placement, dramatically!

On another note, I am going to a John Williams concert in Chicago on the 26th of this month. The concert is supposed to close with a selection of three SW pieces. Based on recent concerts, it is assumed that it will be:

1. The Resistance is Reborn (TLJ)
2. Rey’s Theme (TFA)
3. Main Theme (SW… yes of course the version with the End Titles tacked on)

Then for the encore, the New Han and Leia piece, and/or the new Han Solo theme (its debut!), and probably ending with the Imperial Theme.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! It's been a few years since my wife and I saw John Williams conduct my local symphony orchestra. I saw several Star Wars pieces, Superman, and "Indy's First Adventure" conducted live in synch with the film sequence from the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade playing on a giant screen (the entire River Phoenix part of the film).

Let us know how the show goes!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound samples from the remastered albums can be heard here. Of special interest is "Anakin's Dark Deeds" in ROTS, which seems to either have kept a bass drum overdub... or it was a percussion that was completely dialed out of the original album.

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/john-williams/release/star-wars-a-new-hope-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7811485

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/john-williams/release/star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7811567

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/john-williams/release/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7811617

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/john-williams/release/star-wars-the-phantom-menace-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7811675

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/john-williams/release/star-wars-attack-of-the-clones-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7811692

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/john-williams/release/star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7811702
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been debating back and forth. I've got a couple of versions of each already.

Yeah...I'll probably end up getting them because they are remastered.

I might wait and see what the reviews say about the sound quality.

I've loved these soundtracks since they originally came out on vinyl.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Sound samples from the remastered albums can be heard here. Of special interest is "Anakin's Dark Deeds" in ROTS, which seems to either have kept a bass drum overdub... or it was a percussion that was completely dialed out of the original album...

https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/john-williams/release/star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7811702

Thanks for sharing these. For "Anakin's Dark Deeds" I'm not sure I like the bass drum but of course I'll want to hear the whole track to be sure. I'm wondering if Lucas directed the removal of the drums for the film and it got removed from the soundtrack to match the film? Maybe Lucas found out that the guitars he wanted removed from the "Chase Through Coruscant" still appear on the AotC soundtrack (which I love - I totally disagree with Lucas on that edit).

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I've been debating back and forth. I've got a couple of versions of each already.

Yeah...I'll probably end up getting them because they are remastered.

I might wait and see what the reviews say about the sound quality.

I've loved these soundtracks since they originally came out on vinyl.

I'm not sure either. I wonder if the prequels will be that different. And for the OT, all this music is on the Anthology which didn't have the sound issues the Special Edition soundtracks did.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: