The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GG16: The Old Republic errata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> GG16: The Old Republic errata Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
DarkJackal wrote:
Since it is mentioned as a prerequisite for a power in the book it would be advisable to finally convert it.

Which power are you referring to?

Force Stun, sorry I forgot to mention it. It is listed as a prereq for another power but was never converted.
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the Mark VI Supremacy starfighter has an error relating to the number of laser cannons. According to Wookiepedia it has four cannons instead of the listed two (two on the chin and two on the wings). Mayhaps a double-check of the other craft is be in order.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkJackal wrote:
cheshire wrote:
DarkJackal wrote:
Since it is mentioned as a prerequisite for a power in the book it would be advisable to finally convert it.

Force Stun, sorry I forgot to mention it. It is listed as a prereq for another power but was never converted.

Oh man, I can't believe it's been MONTHS and I haven't seen this reply. So sorry.

There's a pretty good reason to not convert Force Stun. And the fact that it's a prerequisite to Stasis is kind of strange. But we'll tackle first thing first.

For the record, I worked on the D6 Force Compendium, and the SAGA conversion project, but not Mojome's Old Republic Galaxy Guide. So I can talk generally about the mechanics behind the fan books, but not his rationale for this particular fan book.

The reason why Force Stun never made it as a power is that the only place we've seen any established power for it is in the SAGA edition rulebook. That power works by moving the target down the condition track -- a mechanic that has no analog in D6. D6 uses the word stun, and the d20 power uses the word stun, but they operate in vastly different ways. So, you're either left with inventing a mechanic to simulate the condition track in D6 to get it to work for this one power, or try to make the d20 conversion work to stun people in D6. The first is clunky at best, the second gets so overpowered its broken almost immediately. So, we kind of shrugged our shoulders and said that this was just one of those things that didn't translate and left it at that.

I've tried following Mojome's sources for this one, and they seem to point to the D6 Compendium, but neither Force Stun nor Stasis appear in that book. Nor do the powers appear in any of the conversion books. So, I'm kind of at a loss as to how force stun got listed as a prerequisite.
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
DarkJackal wrote:
cheshire wrote:
DarkJackal wrote:

Oh man, I can't believe it's been MONTHS and I haven't seen this reply. So sorry.

There's a pretty good reason to not convert Force Stun. And the fact that it's a prerequisite to Stasis is kind of strange. But we'll tackle first thing first.

For the record, I worked on the D6 Force Compendium, and the SAGA conversion project, but not Mojome's Old Republic Galaxy Guide. So I can talk generally about the mechanics behind the fan books, but not his rationale for this particular fan book.

The reason why Force Stun never made it as a power is that the only place we've seen any established power for it is in the SAGA edition rulebook. That power works by moving the target down the condition track -- a mechanic that has no analog in D6. D6 uses the word stun, and the d20 power uses the word stun, but they operate in vastly different ways. So, you're either left with inventing a mechanic to simulate the condition track in D6 to get it to work for this one power, or try to make the d20 conversion work to stun people in D6. The first is clunky at best, the second gets so overpowered its broken almost immediately. So, we kind of shrugged our shoulders and said that this was just one of those things that didn't translate and left it at that.

I've tried following Mojome's sources for this one, and they seem to point to the D6 Compendium, but neither Force Stun nor Stasis appear in that book. Nor do the powers appear in any of the conversion books. So, I'm kind of at a loss as to how force stun got listed as a prerequisite.

Good points but it might just be easier to make it an attack power that does stun damage comparable to other existing powers. Maybe set damage at half the Alter skill.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a few trial runs of those. It's something that either wound up as underpowerd, overpowered, or indistinguishable from Remote Fighting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: