The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Outside Galaxy travel via Hyperspace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Outside Galaxy travel via Hyperspace. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willg wrote:
I need help running some number for a roleplay and got into a rather indepth debate with someone, we were talking about the hypothetical you find yourself in the Star Wars Galaxy and you really want to get back to Earth. The wormhole that dropped you off in...lets say Tatooine...is a one way trip. Your in the desert, and your now on your way to Mos Eisley to get yourself a ship...somehow. Learn to pilot it etc...somehow.

The other party says its possible, but I say the practicality of this, using pre-established ingame mechanics, the trip would be so long, you would need more supplies, more Fuel for the ship than you can carry, feasably, without any special Hyperdrive Accelerators etc which will burn your hyperdrive out and leave you stranded , or at least with a long trip back to the Star Wars Galaxy, with your tail between your legs.

Hypothetically...

This isnt to win some petty argument, dont worry, but it is a thought experiment to see if one can plot a MAJOR journey and massive distance using the existing game mechanics.

Please also throw in any other factors I havent considered. Also, the wormhole was a one way trip, so forget looking for another one. Needles in haystacks would be more possible.

And I thought my friends and I had some nerdy conversations!

willg wrote:
1) is travel by Hyperspace outside the SW Galaxy within the game rules and ingame feasability? or has it been done in anyones RP? Was there any special rules or requirements.

I don't know that extragalactic travel was ever specifically addressed in a WEG game product, but it was shown to occur in TESB and AotC. It is not known if there were any special requirements. However these filmic extragalactic journeys were to the SW Galaxy's own satellite galaxies which are relatively close on an extragalactic scale (In Legends there were 7 satellite galaxies. Otherspace was a pocket dimension beyond both realspace and hyperspace so doesn't really help with this question.)

willg wrote:
2) Is there any clear idea what the distance between the SW Galaxy and our Galaxy is? Some figure in a rp, some reference, even Legends?

It would be impossible to determine a distance because the Star Wars galaxy is not real and our galaxy is. Or if you would prefer, the two galaxies do not exist in the same universe (the extreme end of "far, far away"). But even if they did, there is still no clear reference. What is "far, far away" on a galactic scale? They could be billions of light-years apart.

There is a planet Earth in the Earth System that exists in the northern Outer Rim of the Star Wars galaxy, but that's probably not the Earth you're talking about!

willg wrote:
3) ASSUMING 1 is yes and theres some kind of figures available for 2....Given we have a distance and allowing for any special rules, etc....
How long would a Hyperspace trip take?
ALSO factoring in fuel considerations, time for Hyperdrive engine cool downs and maintainence.

How long would it take, depending on the Hyperdrive Multipliers?

"Lightspeed" in Star Wars is actually thousands of times the speed of light. So assuming you had a ship with a factory inside that could manufacturer replacement parts for the entire ship and droids, a bunch of droids starting out to operate the ship and factory, cryogenic technology for you to go into suspended animation, a way to navigate around the hyperspace shadows of intergalactic dark matter (if it casts hyperspace shadows), it would take approximately... millions of years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we look at the NAGAI species, they originate in the friefox galaxy, companion aurebrek I think.

Travel there back and forth has been confirmed in books etc.
Imperials did explore and go there, as well as others.

As for the Vong, they may actually come from beyond otherspace as they were said to have travelled for millennia after destroying their home galaxy.
Traveling in huge biologia world ships.

As to the scene from esb, this could be two things, one is them looking at a companion galaxy, most likely companion A
The other is that they have gone there and looks into their galaxy.
I hold my money on the first.

ps! id is by measuring the map shorter distance between companion A and the main galaxy, then it is from north to south in the main galaxy
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And I thought my friends and I had some nerdy conversations!

Yeah were Whovians as well...it happens....
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPERB answers folks, I appreciate the efforts. I had thought there was some reference to Earth, even in a Homebrew fanmade rp, like Empire invades Earth and i was going to run with THOSE figures, even as a best guess. UNFORTUNATLY i cant find that rp book anymore, so I guess i had to turn to you chaps.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I don't know that extragalactic travel was ever specifically addressed in a WEG game product, but it was shown to occur in TESB and AotC. It is not known if there were any special requirements.

I've always thought that look out at the 'galaxy' in ESB was merely for show, not saying "they left the galaxy and are looking back in,:

But when in Atoc did they leave it??
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
At the end of ESB, the Rebel Fleet is hiding outside of their own galaxy. One of the last shots shows look looking at his galaxy.

That looks less like a galaxy and more like a star with a protoplanetary disk

But, apparently, it was 2 days journey by hyperspace from Hoth.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Haven_(rendezvous_point)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've always thought that look out at the 'galaxy' in ESB was merely for show, not saying "they left the galaxy and are looking back in,

I always thought it was a protoplanetary disk or satellite galaxy until I read that Holocron Keeper Leeland Chee said that officially, it was the Star Wars galaxy itself, so the Rebel Fleet was outside of the galaxy proper and they were looking back at it. Regardless of what it looks like. But of course it should be whatever you want it to be in your SWU.

garhkal wrote:
But when in Atoc did they leave it??

Kamino is "just outside the Rishi Maze", and the "Rishi Maze" is a satellite galaxy, the first of seven satellite galaxies according to Legends and the first of two known satellite galaxies in Canon.

And AotC also introduced the "Intergalactic Banking Clan" whose name suggests extragalactic banking.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC on the map that was shown in the jedi archives, it didn't SHOW "the spot where Kamino should be" as being outside the galaxy..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, thinking about Haven, and the view we get of the galaxy from there (assuming, of course, that they're looking at the SW galaxy, and not one of the satellites)... might it not indicate that hyperspace travel outside the galaxy is FASTER than within the galaxy? If nothing else, because you can take a much straighter route through hyperspace, without having to worry about gravity anomalies?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, thinking about Haven, and the view we get of the galaxy from there (assuming, of course, that they're looking at the SW galaxy, and not one of the satellites)... might it not indicate that hyperspace travel outside the galaxy is FASTER than within the galaxy? If nothing else, because you can take a much straighter route through hyperspace, without having to worry about gravity anomalies?

Or with the wast void of nothing, it can be the opposite, much harder, maybe the hyperspace anomaly thingie beyond the galaxy is actually so far away that all the companions and maybe another (main)galaxy as well is sti withing reach?
And I suspect hypertravel here would be extrmemely slow due to unknown space and moving carefully, however I would assume that at least the rebels would at the time have enough smuggler connections to maybe or likely have a safe route to soewhere beyone the main galaxy but still within the "barrier" and maybe in one of the companions
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am late to the conversation. There was a reference in a book somewhere that said the rebel fleet had went outside the galactic plane to hide. The problem I am having is finding the reference. And now that I am typing this I am wondering if the reference wasn't actually in the radio drama. It has been so long and there has been so many things mucking up the canon (I understand why Disney did it but I also think a few things should have been spared).

If I can find the reference I will post it. I am going through stuff looking for it now.
ReverendKeaton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuckuss received intuitive knowledge 2.11 Standard hours into his latest meditation.
He knew the rough coordinates of where Han Solo would go, if he could: he would go to the Rebel’s rendezvous point. He knew why. It was not to regroup with them after the retreat. He carried passengers?a woman and a droid?vital to the Rebellion’s success. Solo wanted to deliver them safely there.
And Zuckuss knew where the Rebellion had gone? where they had been forced to flee.
The thought staggered him. He stayed in his meditation for some time after the intuition came, trying to verify it?and what he had learned seemed more and more correct.
The Rebels had left the galaxy.
They had gone to a point above the galactic plane, far from any stars?from all places where the Empire might track them. The Empire had left them nowhere else to run as an army. He guessed how truly desperate the Rebellion was, then. Ascending up out of the galaxy’s gravity well was no easy task. Many ships could not make such a trip. There would be losses in addition to those suffered here. The Empire must have been close to Hunting the Rebels into extinction. That they took this chance spoke of their desperation?but also of their courage and determination to regroup and keep fighting.
These were worthy foes, indeed.

Of Possible Futures: The Tale of Zuckuss and 4-LOM M. Shayne Bell
Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

Not canon at all now but I knew I had read it somewhere. Took me a few to narrow the field. So at one point there was no reason to think that they couldn't travel outside the galaxy.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the script of TESB:

Quote:
He gets up and walks over to Leia. There is a new bond between them, a new understanding. Leia is thinking about Han; Luke is thinking about
his uncertain and newly complicated future. Together they stand at the
large window of the medical center looking out on the Rebel Star
Cruiser and a dense, luminous galaxy swirling in space.

After AotC I have some serious doubts about these "Unknown Regions". I mean, I am sure they are somewhere but I doubt if they should be within SW Galaxy.

Quote:
JOCASTA NU
The archives are comprehensive and
totally secure, my young Jedi.
One thing you may be absolutely
sure of - if an item does not
appear in our records, it does not
exist!

Why this? Shouldn't it be:

"Perhaps your planet lies within unexplored region of the galaxy?"
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jocastu Nu's comment was to show the arrogance of the Jedi.

If memory serves, the Unknown Regions were in the mid-rim and outer-rim away from the more populated part of the galaxy. In AOTC Obi Wan says something about the Rishi Maze, which is a small companion galaxy.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having almost half of the galaxy unexplored and stating that all has been cataloged is not a sign of arrogance. It's mental disability of reality assessment or something. Who came up with this "arrogance"? Kathleen?

By the way, Obi-Wan pointed correctly on the screen, but zoom went completely wrong.

PS. Good thing is that info screens in the Jedi Library have an option of a gravitational scan - instant-scan that detects any gravitational presence of stellar bodies. Range: from Couscant to – at least – galactic disc edge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: