The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Winter's Perfect memory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Winter's Perfect memory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Winter's Perfect memory Reply with quote

How would this ability work mechanically?
All it states is that she remembers everything, more or less like a recorder.
I am wondering if this allows for a +1D to most Knowledge skills, or if it can be handled differently.

What I cold see as an issue is getting a +1D when first time encountering something KNO based, like a new language, though once exposed the 1D could apply to understand it, or something.

Any thoughts on this, and for that matter other special abilities that are given any dice mechanics?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the REUP on pp.28-29 for Character Options: Advantages and Disadvantages:

Quote:
Extraordinary Memory (−1D). This character can recall long ago events or esoteric facts with ease. In game terms, she gains +1D to most Knowledge-based skill roll (gamemaster discretion is required for some exceptions to the rule).

But you probably already saw this, didn't you, Mama?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, and considered it, but their descriptions seemed different, perfect memory actually at least sounds superior to extraordinary, but again it can be a matter of words and nothing more.

With Winter being far beyond a starting character the 1D would not show.
I am considering this one
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jenet have a different story factor:

Enhanced Memory: A Jenet that has at least 1D in any Knowledge skill automatically gains a +1D bonus to the use of that skill because of its memory.

Eidetic Memory was given a writeup in Wookieepedia:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eidetic_memory

Then, there's the Force power Short-Term Memory Enhancement, which offers some difficulty numbers for how one might do this.

In Star Wars, it seems that eidetic memory primarily helps with languages. The Jenet 'Enhanced Memory' isn't too far off - but remembering something does not bring understanding, necessarily, and doesn't mean that one can accurately reproduce something. One might have heard a song being played on a kloo horn, but that doesn't mean that one can reproduce the song on a kloo horn.

I might just do it as a special skill, with two effects - one is a bonus to languages specifically like the more general skill like the Jenet, and the other is a skill roll to examine one's memory similar to the Force power Short-Term Memory Enhancement. For things that were specifically examined or memorized, I'd allow an automatic success unless reproducing something required a special skill (like the music example).
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
The Jenet have a different story factor:

Enhanced Memory: A Jenet that has at least 1D in any Knowledge skill automatically gains a +1D bonus to the use of that skill because of its memory.

Eidetic Memory was given a writeup in Wookieepedia:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eidetic_memory

Then, there's the Force power Short-Term Memory Enhancement, which offers some difficulty numbers for how one might do this.

In Star Wars, it seems that eidetic memory primarily helps with languages. The Jenet 'Enhanced Memory' isn't too far off - but remembering something does not bring understanding, necessarily, and doesn't mean that one can accurately reproduce something. One might have heard a song being played on a kloo horn, but that doesn't mean that one can reproduce the song on a kloo horn.

I might just do it as a special skill, with two effects - one is a bonus to languages specifically like the more general skill like the Jenet, and the other is a skill roll to examine one's memory similar to the Force power Short-Term Memory Enhancement. For things that were specifically examined or memorized, I'd allow an automatic success unless reproducing something required a special skill (like the music example).

This is my thoughts exactly.

As to winter she seems to be able to recite speech, naturally in the languages she knows, but she dont seems to be an instant learner.
Naturally if this is combined with a skill, like artist: Drawing, or painter then naturally she could possibly do something than verbally describe a scene or place or person.

I m thinking of something like quick learning; allowing to automatically add +1 pip (max +2) to any knowledge skill used for the first time if the rol beats the difficulty with 50% or more, or something like this.

Or simply apply the KNO bonuses to languages and or skills that can be vocalized or written.

Another thing, would this not reasonably help with computers and or security useage?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:

Exactly, we had a guy in our ET-A school who had a photographic memory. Could recite the book he just read, page by page. BUT just cause he could do that, didn't mean dick when it came to practical testing.. He eventually flunked out, after 3 straight failures.

I've also heard of comrades who also had "PM", so could read back a convo he heard in a foreign language, but couldn't tell you what the hell they were meaning....

Quote:
Another thing, would this not reasonably help with computers and or security useage?

It might. BUT it depends on what they are doing.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Exactly, we had a guy in our ET-A school who had a photographic memory. Could recite the book he just read, page by page. BUT just cause he could do that, didn't mean dick when it came to practical testing.. He eventually flunked out, after 3 straight failures.

I've also heard of comrades who also had "PM", so could read back a convo he heard in a foreign language, but couldn't tell you what the hell they were meaning....

Quote:

It might. BUT it depends on what they are doing.

I am leaning to allowing this to offer a bonus on some (GM Decitions) Security, Encryption and Computer checks, mostly as to remebering the codes, how they "look" and such. but this is at best a possible maybe if maybe.

Landed so far on simply using the extraordinary memory
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, eidetic memory and its ilk wouldn't work for TEC skills. KNO - maybe - but not TEC. I'm arguing from a stance on real-world computer technology, as well as how slicing has been treated in the WEG Star Wars game.

Knowing how a code "looks" doesn't help much. Scandocs in the Star Wars universe have potentially mutating code. Also, any particular code doesn't "look" like anything.

Consider the binary code transliterated as 0100100001100101011011000110110001101111. It is, in fact, an 8-bit ASCII representation of "Hello". Any string of five characters would have the same length, and consist of zeroes and ones.

One of the entire points of cryptography, is that the encrypted message is supposed to appear as random noise - that no further information should be possible to extract from it. Whether a five-character string is ASCII encoded, or ASCII + ROT-13, or ASCII + SHA encrypted, doesn't make the binary encoding 'look' any different. Substituting a character for a weird symbol doesn't change anything but the representation - simple frequency analysis will break almost any such message, unless it was short or the message was crafted so that it would defeat frequency analysis.

Perfect memory doesn't help me here. I might be able to perfectly remember any permutation or decryption I had tried - but I would be better off getting a computer to do that. It can do it much faster and accurately than what I can, at any rate.

Come to think of it, there's a race that actually has cybernetically enhanced memory. The Yaka. They have the following story factor:

Cyborg Brain: Yaka have implanted cyborg brains that greatly increase their intelligence. All Yaka learn and improve Knowledge and Technical skills at half the normal cost.

Also, there's the Aj^6 borg implant, http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cyborg_Construct .

Basically, my argument is that if you have a computer IMPLANTED in your head, THEN you can get some discount or bonus on a non-KNO skill, usually TEC. If you only have a perfect memory, then it's KNO - and usually languages.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter's Perfect memory Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
How would this ability work mechanically?
All it states is that she remembers everything, more or less like a recorder.
Any thoughts on this...?

I wouldn't give Winter's perfect memory any game mechanics because it wouldn't be an option for PCs in my game. It's just too powerful and unbalancing. If Winter or another NPC in my game had it, I would just determine what they know as it comes up, so no rules or dice rolls needed. But I've never had an NPC with this ability.

Mamatried wrote:
Any thoughts on this, and for that matter other special abilities that are given any dice mechanics?

That's a rather open ended question. Any thoughts for any special ability mechanics?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through the list in the reup book.
The hearing and vision, it really dont give any mechanics.
Vision is stated x3 normal vision range.
hearing is enhanced and you can locate and distinguish, but how far, any dice needed?

Much of the list to be fair, other maybe a mere handful seems to do nothing, cost "a lot" with no real game mechanic, other than a possible story factor.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance knowledge skills at 1/2 CP cost.

They don't know more, they learn faster.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Advance knowledge skills at 1/2 CP cost.

They don't know more, they learn faster.

makes sense.....I will probably be doing this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: