The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Last Jedi (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Last Jedi (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've had my blu-ray player since my wife and I got our first apartment together when we were dating, 2009? You could buy one now for about $50 and enjoy backwards compatibility, and I have little doubt that it'll still be functioning in 5 years if they decide to do away with DVD as a format entirely.

Better than spending thousands on replacing your DVDs to new format?

Also, they have legitimate services (VUDU) that allow you to "convert" your owned DVDs to own on digital format for $2 a pop.

With over 700+ disks in my collection, that would be rather pricy to do that. BUT i guess i might have to bite the bullet and get a blue ray player, maybe this year's thanksgiving day sales time frame..
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's cheaper, buy a PS3. Blue ray is integrated.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blu-ray tech is nice nowadays. A couple years ago when my original blu-ray (from 2009-ish) stopped playing my Star Wars blu-rays and some select DVDs, and I had trouble updating the firmware, I went out a bought a new one. It was a little more than $50 IIRC. My current blu-ray player receives wifi, and it is set to update automatically. It also came preloaded with netflix, hulu, youtube and other apps, which makes streaming internet content easy. We cancelled our cable TV and save a lot of money per month now. And it plays all my discs I had trouble with before except one old DVD which I replaced for $5. We also have an Xbox One that plays movies but haven't used it for that much.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I have a TV and blu-ray player with wifi capabilities and those same preloaded apps, but we actually use the Xbox One more often for streaming video. I find the app interfaces on the Xbox One to generally be more useful than the apps on the other devices, and the remotes are easier to use (plus, with the kinect, I can often just give voice commands).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Blu-ray player had the same issue as Whill's for a short while, eventually, a firmware update came out which fixed the problem, luckily, I watch my Blu-ray set so infrequently that it's sort of a null issue.

I've become more of a fan of digital copies, since it generally takes less effort to change movies digitally than to go fish the discs out and wait for the disc tray and then loading times. However, for titles I really want to support, I still buy physical copies, mostly because it's almost no extra money and you get the digital copy included!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've become more of a fan of digital copies, since it generally takes less effort to change movies digitally than to go fish the discs out and wait for the disc tray and then loading times. However, for titles I really want to support, I still buy physical copies, mostly because it's almost no extra money and you get the digital copy included!

My mac computer won't interface with blu-ray or xbox wirelessly, so I'm still primarily a physical copy guy. How my movies are organized and the movie shelf being right beside the TV, it's not really any trouble to get the disc out, and I guess in my old age I've acquired more patience for loading times. However I love it when movies come with digital copies and/or streaming rights. It's nice to have them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

My mac computer won't interface with blu-ray or xbox wirelessly, so I'm still primarily a physical copy guy. How my movies are organized and the movie shelf being right beside the TV, it's not really any trouble to get the disc out, and I guess in my old age I've acquired more patience for loading times. However I love it when movies come with digital copies and/or streaming rights. It's nice to have them.

Maybe i need to invest more in movies which DO have digital copies, and keep them in two or more locations, so when the DVD gets discontinued, i can play it directly from the laptop..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my usual go-to is Walmart or Amazon. Here in Pullman, we're kinda limited in our shopping choices. But, most of the titles that I have interest in purchasing are 19.99 for a digital HD copy to stream, or like 22.99 - 24.99 for a Blu-ray, DVD, Digital copy bundle, but as long as it has at least the first and the last, I'm good.

Part of the reason that we ended up being big streamers is because of my daughter, who has ASD. She likes to be able to point to what she wants to watch on the TV screen, since she's pretty severely delayed in communication. Also, when Mom and Dad can sneak in a show usually has a limited timer before triggering a melt-down, so don't really want to waste it on fishing out a movie and waiting for it to load.

Blu-ray is nifty with all of the extra features, but damn, the discs take forever to load!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless you, RR. I have no doubt you are an awesome parent.

If I could figure out a way to stream/play my digital copies on my TV and they were the same quality as my blu-rays, I would for convenience. But I'd still be stubborn on wanting physical copies too as another play option in case of technical problems, and I really like having a physical shelf of movies to look at my collection the old fashion way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Bless you, RR. I have no doubt you are an awesome parent.

If I could figure out a way to stream/play my digital copies on my TV and they were the same quality as my blu-rays, I would for convenience. But I'd still be stubborn on wanting physical copies too as another play option in case of technical problems, and I really like having a physical shelf of movies to look at my collection the old fashion way.

I appreciate it, we try. It's just like any other kid out there, there are ups and downs, each child has their own challenges. It just makes us appreciate the smaller miracles in life.

You can stream in 1080p or even 4k/UHD, but some of the subscriptions cost a bit more. We have a Roku for streaming, and we use a Smart TV as a back up.

I like having the hard copies as a back up for when internet goes down in the area.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with digital copies is that it seems to me the content is often cropped to the common TV 16:9 ratio. Whether the original was 4:3 or 2.39:1, I’ll suffer the black bars in order to be able to see the whole frame.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition novelization came out today. I'm hoping that someone here will read it (or listen to an unabridged audiobook) and share any story additions or altered details here. (I'm not going to be able to read it anytime soon.)

Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition novelization came out today. I'm hoping that someone here will read it (or listen to an unabridged audiobook) and share any story additions or altered details here. (I'm not going to be able to read it anytime soon.)

Thanks.

I'd like to read this, but I'm wary that it won't match the movie the same way that the TFA movie and TFA novel had a few Continuity Snarls, such as whether Poe Dameron and Rey actually met during the events of TFA or not (the movie implies they didn't, the novel has a scene where they did). I vaguely remember reading something on TVTropes where this led to a plot hole in TLJ. If I find it again, I'll link it here.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

Thanks.

I'd like to read this, but I'm wary that it won't match the movie the same way that the TFA movie and TFA novel had a few Continuity Snarls, such as whether Poe Dameron and Rey actually met during the events of TFA or not (the movie implies they didn't, the novel has a scene where they did). I vaguely remember reading something on TVTropes where this led to a plot hole in TLJ. If I find it again, I'll link it here.

I think you're overcomplicating it a bit. TFA novelization has a scene where Rey and Poe met at the Resistance base before she left to find Luke. TFA film didn't. There was no implication that they didn't meet - It just didn't establish it one way or the other. (I personally feel it's stupid that they hadn't met then, but that's just me.) Then TLJ film had the scene where they first met. I've read the TV Tropes and other things about it. It's extremely likely that Rian Johnson never read the novelization to TFA and no one held TLJ film accountable to it, so it is what it is. There aren't any "continuity snarls" or "plot holes" if the novelizations simply aren't canon where they contradict the films, which is exactly how it was set up in the old canon.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: