The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Less Than" Damaged
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> "Less Than" Damaged Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
No, I agree with you about the wookiees.

Look up the story of Roy Benevidez for an example of a story that will support what I'm saying.

That's a heck of a story. I guess my argument is that a Wookiee surviving an identical amount of damage would be a lot closer to "average" for a Wookiee than Roy Benevidez would be for a human.

Agreed.

A Ranger I trained with told me a story about his old squad leader who earned the DSC after his arm was blown off on the objective. He stayed "in it," using the radio to call the shots while the medics were working on him. Then, later, his leg got blown off, and he kept command and control of the fight even still, opting not to be med evac'd in order to ensure that the mission was a success. He lived, if I remember correctly, but I don't remember ever learning his name.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
OR have the enemy target JUST the armor to make it become a coffin for the character (hard to move in power armor that just got shut down AND the joints got welded by blaster fire!)

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:
OR have the enemy target JUST the armor to make it become a coffin for the character (hard to move in power armor that just got shut down AND the joints got welded by blaster fire!)

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Glad you liked the idea. It's something i actually HAD a hutt have his troops do to a 'tank like pc', after he used his fully modified (and dex penalty bought off) power armor.. Popped it with 3 ion grenades to shut down the electronics while a group of troopers shot at the limb joints to immobilize the joint... Even then, it still took 4 rounds of combined fire to get them all immobilized, AND THEY still lost to the PC's...
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Bren wrote:
First purpose is to mitigate (not eliminate) the blaster-proof Wookiee syndrome.

Just to point out: I've noticed that many of the rule peculiarities like this (the blaster-proof Wookiee) were only born after the original rules were mucked around with, twisted and made to fit something different.

In First Edition RAW, there is no Blaster Proof Wookiee problem. If a Wookiee is hit, he's going down with the minimum of a Stun, just like every other character.

Yes, instead of a blaster proof wookie, you have a rancor stunlocked with a holdout... a different problem, but not necessarily a better one.

What do you mean by stunlocked?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Bren wrote:
First purpose is to mitigate (not eliminate) the blaster-proof Wookiee syndrome.

Just to point out: I've noticed that many of the rule peculiarities like this (the blaster-proof Wookiee) were only born after the original rules were mucked around with, twisted and made to fit something different.

In First Edition RAW, there is no Blaster Proof Wookiee problem. If a Wookiee is hit, he's going down with the minimum of a Stun, just like every other character.

Yes, instead of a blaster proof wookie, you have a rancor stunlocked with a holdout... a different problem, but not necessarily a better one.

What do you mean by stunlocked?

Since any hit in 1e results in a stun, regardless of how high your strength roll is, it is very easy to get someone in a position where you're doing little actual damage, but they are unable to act, due to being under repeated stuns. Stunned, knocked prone, stand up... and get stunned again, so knocked prone once more.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don’t recall in 1e that you automatically fall down with a Stun result. Though I could be wrong.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's right about the stun in 1e. I'm too lazy to walk across the room and check, though....
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would modify 1e rule that you could either make a DEX or STR roll to avoid the fall.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used the "stun" for lethal attacks which are soaked, but I allow a Stamina/Willpower (I have combined these under the name "Grit" in my game) skill roll (complete with MAP) as a reaction to ignore the result. Basically, this allows a character to continue on with a -1D penalty if the check is made. Seems to work out alright, preventing stunlock in general, and still imposing at least some momentary inconvenience even if it is ignored.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
For damage ratings less than the Strength roll to resist I'm inclined to use the rule from 1E as modified in one of the interim rule sets. So the full damage table would like like the following:

2xDR < SR No Effect
    DR < SR Stunned (as per the 2ER&E rules for stun)
    DR > SR by 0-3 Stunned (exactly as in the 2ER&E rules)
    DR > SR by 4-8 Wounded
    DR > SR by 9-12 Incapacitated
    DR > SR by 13-15 Mortally Wounded
    DR > SR by 16+ Killed

I use something very similar to this.

2xDR<SR I give a +1 to represent being hit, taking the "jolt" it gives as seen, even on hits that are mere scratches....they still hurt.
I aso remove stun on DR<SR and add a +2 on this as to give a more punch to the glancing blow, but you can still fight, you are still up.
The rest I use as RAW
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not degrading the Str attribute for resisting damage when successfully resisting damage? A similar approach as with star ships and loosing shields maybe?
Higher Str characters then could soak up a considerable amount of damage but would still be taken out by concentrated blaster fire.

My approach would be (affecting all characters):

Whenever a Character is hit, but resists the damage (stun or lethal), he looses 1 pip from his Damage resistance (Str + Armour).

Or (more focused on high Str tanks):

Whenever a Character is hit with a damage code equal to or under his Str attribute, but resists the damage (stun or lethal), he looses 2 pips from his Damage resistance (Str + Armour).

The degraded value stays until treated (techanical or medic) up to the pips lost. A character may choose if the degraduation affects himself or his armour, but he may only treat it with the appropriate skill (e.g. Str is treated with the first aid or medic skill, armour with armour repair).
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tol-Yun wrote:
Why not degrading the Str attribute for resisting damage when successfully resisting damage? A similar approach as with star ships and loosing shields maybe?
Higher Str characters then could soak up a considerable amount of damage but would still be taken out by concentrated blaster fire.

My approach would be (affecting all characters):

Whenever a Character is hit, but resists the damage (stun or lethal), he looses 1 pip from his Damage resistance (Str + Armour).

Whenever a Character is hit with a damage code equal to or under his Str attribute, but resists the damage (stun or lethal), he looses 2 pips from his Damage resistance (Str + Armour).

The degraded value stays until treated (techanical or medic) up to the pips lost. A character may choose if the degraduation affects himself or his armour, but he may only treat it with the appropriate skill (e.g. Str is treated with the first aid or medic skill, armour with armour repair).

Nice idea.

I have to ask though, this soaking you here describe, loosing a pip etc which seems to make sense.
Is this for the round, tuns etc?
For multi hits only?

If the payer was hit earlier in the mission, then later takes another hit is the pip then still deducted?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tol-Yun wrote:

BTB you already DO lose from your resistance WITH ARMOR degradation, as when you get injured, SO DOES IT get damaged. However, if you don't wear armor, there's no degradation..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate version would be to just apply the Wounded dice penalty to the Strength roll, as well.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
An alternate version would be to just apply the Wounded dice penalty to the Strength roll, as well.

I do this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: