The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Particle Shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Particle Shields Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Although an ultra-advanced race who harvests life to extend their own could make an interesting villain...

But that would be more appropriate for its own topic...

True.. Heck the whole harvesting/age locking procedure would need its own dedicated thread.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Heck the whole harvesting/age locking procedure would need its own dedicated thread.

TAHDAH!

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back around to this, I had a thought. If Particle Shields have an automatic value of 2D applied to Hull Dice, some ships out there actually have stronger particle / navigation shields than they do combat shields. I'm starting to think that, rather than giving ships like the TIE (with its 2D Hull) weaker particle shields, Particle Shields in general should just be downgraded to 1D Strength for all ships (with an option to upgrade as part of increasing a ship's Hull dice).

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe all commercial vessels have the 2d partical shields as mandated, but most fighter craft don't cause of hteir higher hull and shields anyway.. That eliminates the whole "a tie has 0d hull if it has no particle shields" issue..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe all commercial vessels have the 2d partical shields as mandated, but most fighter craft don't cause of hteir higher hull and shields anyway.. That eliminates the whole "a tie has 0d hull if it has no particle shields" issue..

But now some low-end commercial vessels will run into the same problem the TIE had. Better to just drop it to 1D across the board; if 1D is good enough for deflectors, it’s good enough for particle shields.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving this a bump because I had a new thought connected to what I said here:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I've always assumed that most SW ships are equipped with a very short-ranged (as in, a Space range of 1SU or less, and a Strength equal to the ship's Hull dice) tractor system to facilitate docking and cargo handling, with the main advantage of the "weaponized" tractor beam being extended range.
What I'm thinking is that my theoretical "tractor field" is the same system as the ship's particle/navigation shields, just inverted to grab onto objects and hold them steady / pull them closer as opposed to pushing them away. We may even have seen it in action during the asteroid chase scene in ESB. Notice how the asteroid on the left appears to get pushed onto a new course when the Falcon passes near it?

Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm giving this a bump because I had a new thought connected to what I said here:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I've always assumed that most SW ships are equipped with a very short-ranged (as in, a Space range of 1SU or less, and a Strength equal to the ship's Hull dice) tractor system to facilitate docking and cargo handling, with the main advantage of the "weaponized" tractor beam being extended range.
What I'm thinking is that my theoretical "tractor field" is the same system as the ship's particle/navigation shields, just inverted to grab onto objects and hold them steady / pull them closer as opposed to pushing them away. We may even have seen it in action during the asteroid chase scene in ESB. Notice how the asteroid on the left appears to get pushed onto a new course when the Falcon passes near it?

I think you could all tie all of that into repulsorlift systems. A repulsorlift basically does just do what a tractor beam does but backwards, after all, for the purposes of providing antigrav engines.

And the asteroid itself was 'beneath', relative to the Millennium Falcon.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reasonably certain that tractor beams and repulsorlift/anti-grav are two separate technologies, with tractor beams being some form of strong nuclear energy manipulator, and not gravitic. My personal theory on landspeeders gives them both (anti-gravity to provide lift, but with a tractor field system that "grabs" the ground under the vehicle to provide propulsion, assisted by booster jets for the faster models), but making tractor beams and the like a strong nuclear energy manipulator opens up a lot of possible explanations for other things (like the bay energy shields on starships, or tensor field generators augmenting structural strength, etc).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: