The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo: A Star Wars Story (original speculation thread)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Solo: A Star Wars Story (original speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an imgur album of some new Entertainment Weekly pictures.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I really want to know more about Emilia Clarke's character: who is she and what's her relationship to Han Solo?

I really want to see what Donald Glover does as Lando Calrissian as well.

Damn, I can't wait for this movie.

EDIT: Just noticed something else after rewatching the ABC trailer: Near the end of the trailer, when the TIEs are chasing the Falcon, one of the TIEs has the double hull of a TIE Bomber, but the straight Solar panels of a TIE Fighter. Granted, it's not quite the double hull of a Bomber: the secondary hull is smaller than a Bomber's bomb bay and carries a double laser cannon that seems more powerful than the standard TIE laser cannon rather than being a standard bomb bay.

I wonder what they'll name this TIE variant?

I’m thinking a TIE variant of the B-Wing, maybe with a Heavy Laser and Heavy Ion Cannon with a Proton Torpedo Launcher. Maybe even Shields, at the expense of Speed and Maneuverability...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://geektyrant.com/news/george-lucas-helped-ron-howard-craft-an-entire-scene-in-solo-a-star-wars-story

George Lucas showed up on Ron Howard's first day of shooting and gave a suggestion that Ron implemented.

John Williams wrote Solo's main theme for the composer. Things are really looking up for Solo since they fired the Lego movies directors.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the original directors were fired because they weren’t sticking to Lawrence Kasdan’s script. I would have liked to see what they could have done, but, not at the expense of Kasdan’s last SW script.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
I read that the original directors were fired because they weren’t sticking to Lawrence Kasdan’s script.

True. The original directors have also stated that they thought they were hired to make a comedy movie that takes place in the Star Wars universe. Should there be humor in the film? Sure. Should it be a comedy? No? Should they have known that? Yes. I wasn't at all privy to the inner dealings of Lucasfilm but I always understood that Solo was never intended to be a comedy. They are pretty dim people if they actually thought Solo was meant to be a comedy. If they thought Solo should be a comedy, they have no business directing Star Wars films.

Falconer wrote:
I would have liked to see what they could have done, but, not at the expense of Kasdan’s last SW script.

I was very worried about the film when I heard they were directing. I have no interest in seeing what they would have done. Good riddance.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Falconer wrote:
I read that the original directors were fired because they weren’t sticking to Lawrence Kasdan’s script.

True. The original directors have also stated that they thought they were hired to make a comedy movie that takes place in the Star Wars universe. Should there be humor in the film? Sure. Should it be a comedy? No? Should they have known that? Yes. I wasn't at all privy to the inner dealings of Lucasfilm but I always understood that Solo was never intended to be a comedy. They are pretty dim people if they actually thought Solo was meant to be a comedy. If they thought Solo should be a comedy, they have no business directing Star Wars films.

Falconer wrote:
I would have liked to see what they could have done, but, not at the expense of Kasdan’s last SW script.

I was very worried about the film when I heard they were directing. I have no interest in seeing what they would have done. Good riddance.

+1 to ALL of this. Especially about the part of how Han Solo has his funny moments, but he is not a comedic character. Anyone who seriously thought that Solo's stand-alone film is supposed to be a comedy should have his @$$ removed with a spoon, resown back with rusty needles and have the wound disinfected with National Bohemian beer. (After all, why waste perfectly good whisky [or even bad whisky] on such an oxygen thief?)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. IMO, the closest example of how to play Solo apart from Solo himself is Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly. Wisecracks and cynicism and some situational humor are great, but deadly serious when needs be.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Agreed. IMO, the closest example of how to play Solo apart from Solo himself is Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly. Wisecracks and cynicism and some situational humor are great, but deadly serious when needs be.

Malcolm Reynolds was pretty much written to be Han Solo as played by Nathan Fillion, definitely.

A few years ago, I ran a SAGA edition Star Wars game, and most of the players described their characters in terms of Firefly characters.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Malcolm Reynolds was pretty much written to be Han Solo as played by Nathan Fillion, definitely.

I think we can all agree that Han Solo, Malcolm Reynolds and Nathan Fillion are each and all awesome in their way.

...Did I forget to include Harrison Ford in that list? I think I did. Embarassed 8)

MrNexx wrote:
A few years ago, I ran a SAGA edition Star Wars game, and most of the players described their characters in terms of Firefly characters.

Great (and strange) minds think alike. Shocked Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly translates very nicely into the SWU as a roleplaying group. All it takes is changing a few of the names and concepts to fit the SWU. In fact, for Solo, Star Wars seems to be taking a page from Firefly (apparently, a train heist is part of the plot, with shades of Firefly episode 2 - The Train Job)

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Firefly translates very nicely into the SWU as a roleplaying group. All it takes is changing a few of the names and concepts to fit the SWU. In fact, for Solo, Star Wars seems to be taking a page from Firefly (apparently, a train heist is part of the plot, with shades of Firefly episode 2 - The Train Job)

It works in reverse too. Malcolm Reynolds and Han Solo are too similar for their resemblences to be coincidental. I have no doubt that Mal's character was designed to be a Shout Out to Han Solo. It's been noted numerous times just how similar Malcolm Reynolds is to Han Solo.

Consider: a less-than-noble-but-still-somewhat-heroic character who is decidedly not very sympathetic with the ruling government decides to make a hand-to-mouth living doing less-than-legal jobs involving smuggling using his own personal starship. Did I just describe Mal Reynolds or Han Solo?

Also consider: a run-down but still very functional starship that is used for smuggling, has her appearance constantly derided by people unfamiliar with her quirks and abilities, and is capable of amazing feats of flying if she has a good pilot at her helm. Did I just describe Serenity or the Millennium Falcon?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguably, Chewie was split into two characters... Zoe and Jayne. Both remain competent combatants, but Zoe got the "loyal friend and willing subordinate" and Jayne got the "tear your arms out of their sockets if they lose."

Of course, one could also argue that Han got split into Mal and Wash (brooding anti-hero and wise-cracking pilot), and so Chewie and Han are married. Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: New SOLO Trailer Reply with quote

Arrow New SOLO Trailer Exclamation

At least part of the film is set in 10 BBY (no real surprise there). Chewie is 190 and Han is 19.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: New SOLO Trailer Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Arrow New SOLO Trailer Exclamation

I'll admit I wasn't that excited about the first two trailer, but that one sold me. It looks great!

The actor playing Lando seems perfect.

The actor playing Han seems, not perfect, but very good.

I'm in.

I hope Chewie finally gets a bigger share of screen time.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/988103229585080320

Ron Howard posted on Twitter that Solo is done, a month before release! I guess I can now relinquish my fear that Solo would get delayed until December like the last three Star Wars movies.

Star Wars returns to May, where it belongs! And even though Episode IX comes out in December 2019, at least we'll get a little over 1.5 years between SW films this time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: