The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Write up examples of Lightsaber Combat by the rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Write up examples of Lightsaber Combat by the rules Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, remember in the movie, his wing men absorbed the incoming fire from Vader and company, and then Han showed up to save his skin at the very last second, so he didn't have to dodge. Also, he was flying straight, so, last I checked, going straight at a constant speed requires no roll, correct?

It is also my opinion, and my preference, to take out MAPs after doubling the dice: otherwise, you run out of dice in the same number of actions as if you would never have spend a FP, and one of the ways a FP is actually useful is that it gives you a chance to do more (like, shoot 4 bad guys instead of 1 or 2 with a reasonable chance at success). Of course, actual die values matter for that example, but, it's just my gut feeling that the spirit of rule is to double the dice and then subtract out MAPs.

But since we are in the Official Rules thread, I figured the official ruling was all the OP wanted.

I have some thoughts on how to apply the RAW lightsaber combat, as well, and they are simpler than garhkal's:

The lightsaber skill itself is penalized -2D for keeping the power "up," but the full sense and control are added to skill and damage respectively. So, a lightsaber skill of 8D is penalized to 6D, but the full sense skill (say, 5D) is added for a total of 11D, and the full control skill (say, 4D+2) is added for a total of 9D+2 damage. Additional attacks are resolved with MAPs as appropriate (so, attacking twice would roll 10D to attack, but damage is still 9D+2).

Otherwise, if you penalize all the skills using the examples above, you get a total of 8D-2D+5D-2D for skill rolls for a whopping final total of 9D to attack rolls (only +1D after all that trouble, and that's before MAPs). Damage is 5D (base)+4D+2-2D for a total of 7D+2. Take three actions (say, a reaction skill and two attacks) and you're back down to 5D+2 (or, base damage more or less).

You can see that with lower skills, the power becomes practically useless since the added skills diminish at a rate that even just one extra action (a dodge or parry, for example) eclipses the final totals. It's just not in the spirit of the films, IMO, as we see numerous padawans (Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Anakin, GL's adopted son, etc) execute lightsaber combat with, in many cases, great facility (considering relative experience levels, to be sure).

Having said that, I will offer this to the OP:

The lightsaber combat power is the single most problematic element in D6 Star Wars, and probably every single person here has posted a house rule solution (or two or three) to address it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, remember in the movie, his wing men absorbed the incoming fire from Vader and company, and then Han showed up to save his skin at the very last second, so he didn't have to dodge. Also, he was flying straight, so, last I checked, going straight at a constant speed requires no roll, correct?

Negative namman. As i've posted several times in the past, when traveling through terrain, what SPEED you are going, determines if that is a no action/no roll move, or a no roll/action move, or a roll/action move.
Since the deathstar trench is listed in the area (Page 125) as being moderate difficulty, one would have to be going at half speed, for it to not only count as a no roll but also a no action move. Going cruise speed, its a no-roll but still an action. Since they were going at least fast speed (2x) then it would have been a roll, at one diff level higher (Page 123-124).
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Check out the RAW description of the concentration force power. In it we see that the penalty comes out before die codes are doubled.

Ah, that's where I have it from! I think I'm going to try doubling before penalties in my game, and change it if it gets out of hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: