The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Implications of Doppleganger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> The Implications of Doppleganger Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the greater sci-fi community's approach.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so coming back around to this, The Last Jedi added even more credence to this by making a canon Force power. What Luke did at the end of the film was very nearly an exact quote of the power from Dark Empire.

So the question becomes, if a powerful Jedi is shown to be able to create a powerful illusions - so powerful that they can simulate physical contact and fool purely inorganic sensors (a droid's eyes) - across thousands of lightyears distance, what would a lesser Jedi be capable of at much shorter ranges?

For instance, if a Force User can shape energy to create a physical barrier, does this extend to the creation of protective force fields? Would this be separate from the Illusion Discipline, perhaps part of the Energy Discipline.

Perhaps the Fallanassi's White Current powers should be more accessible to Jedi...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The d20 version of this power by the same name is directly associated with the white current adepts. Unlike the D6 version, the character does not receive a dark side point for using it.

The d20 version requires a telekinesis check to pick up and move things with the doppelganger as an otherwise free action. Also, any sense-based force powers directed at the doppelganger register it as the actual force user who manifested the illusion (at the force user's discretion), rather than as an illusion.

Also, the force user can perceive as if he was located wherever the doppelganger is.

Note, however, that the power functions like the basic "illusion" power in d20: a successful saving throw by an observer will "negate" the illusion (this is most likely an oversight: the doppelganger power doesn't offer any rules for how it can be dispelled, but for an illusion, the first person to realize that it isn't real causes the illusion to be dispelled... for better or worse, that's how the game designers wrote it up).
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised that this topic hasn't generated more debate/conversation. With Rian Johnson officially, via his twitter account, making this force power canon, what do people think about Luke "fading into the force" after using the power?

The D6 and WotC rules seem to suggest there's no damage attributed to the user if the doppelganger is hurt. Why did Luke bite the dust at the end of The Last Jedi? Was it strain from the use of the power? Kylo's lightsaber blow? Is Luke still alive and kicking somewhere?

Also, does anyone know if FFG has an equivalent for this? I own the Force and Destiny sourcebook, but my eyes hurt sometimes when I try to read through it's lengthy rules. It looked to me like there was not a writeup on anything this specific. Did I miss something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: