The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rancor Pit 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> The Rancor Pit 2018
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: The Rancor Pit 2018 Reply with quote

So I read elsewhere on the internet an observation/opinion that the Rancor Pit has a lack of content output because it is absorbed with new leadership and talking about TLJ. I'm not totally sure how to take that. But I thought maybe this would be a good time for a 'state of the union' address.

First of all, there wasn't only a change in leadership and a new movie come out. There was a server move as the website hosting and domain registration transferred from Loc Taal's company to mine. There have been a lot of technical issues crop up with this transition and I am a novice web master. I'm learning as I go so I've made a little progress. Several issues have been resolved. There still are some minor technical issues that are being worked on (so we still aren't anywhere close to even considering upgrades).

I have spent many, many hours working on this site since November. There's no doubt that some of personality ends up in the site I am pouring so much work into, but I'm not building a cult of personality here. We have reorganized the forums, created new forums and merged forums for a better experience for all. In the process of doing so I had to review every single thread in the top two forums of the old site. I have read nearly every post Loc Taal ever posted on this website to make sure everything he had ever addressed was addressed by me. Loc Taal's forum guidelines were minimal and his involvement with the site was very minimal in recent years so I researched other website guidelines and created a new document which also benefited from my experience here from both before and since becoming a moderator. I've updated his registration, profile, preference and settings guidelines. This site never had a welcome/site map page, so I created one.

And yes, we've had a new film. New Star Wars movies are a big deal. They will be talked about.

And the lack of content comment is just not true. CRMcNeill has shared a lot, and cheshire put out a handbook. But it seems that there is a wish that the Rancor Pit should be pumping out galaxy guide after galaxy guide. No one seems that prolific, but it is true that other communities have produced other stuff in recent years.

The work on this site will continue. Are we up to the challenge of putting out a galaxy guide? Other groups seem to be producing GGs for TFA and RO. Does anyone have any ideas? Is anything in the works? Does anyone want to take the lead on completing the RotS GG? It is an unfinished project. Here is the existing material for it. It seems that we have the stats and images, so the bulk of the work is fluff capsules and final editing/formatting.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5863lzkfzz0ogrz/AACxvjmsQHAR5XsmWDahXcMVa?dl=0
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are these people complaining, and what exactly are they contributing to the community?

EDIT: No content output!?! Eat THIS!

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a lot of our content output was conversion material from D20 to D6.

As far as "new content" the Rancor Pit has always been a meeting place for people with a common interest to discuss things, not always a content churning machine like the G+ community had become some time ago. From time to time, someone would cook up a bunch of stats, or share something of theirs that they'd made for their home games, but labeling this community as a content design group is a pretty heavy misnomer.

I'm honestly refreshed to see the new intake of membership and an uptick in posts. As well as fewer "fights" and more self moderation by our opinionated membership.

I have a feeling that it'll only be a matter of time before new weapons, armor, ships and such from the new movies are getting D6 stats made for them. You just have to be here long enough to get a feeling for the ebb and flow of the community.

Sadly, most of our more talented PDF producing members have been taken captive by Darth Real Life, and the few that were remaining seemed to get burnt out by working so much on their hobby.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Who are these people complaining, and what exactly are they contributing to the community?

I'm not interested in participating in any inter-website strife. I don't at all feel we owe anyone anything. But I thought I would just throw it out there in case anyone here wants to take the lead on finishing the RotS GG or do something else. I'm pretty sure we would at least have an editor, but we still need fluff write-ups to for the project to move forward.

CRMcNeill wrote:
No content output!?! Eat THIS!

Exactly! But I knew that was just absurd. I was more taken aback by the reasons they gave for that silly statement.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the medical sourcebook put out several months back, after a # of us (inc me) did editing on the stuff in it..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the comment Whill is referencing. But I really wouldn't worry about it.
For a LOT of reasons.

1. On one level, the pit probably isn't cranking out as many high-quality PDFs as it did at its peak. And really that shouldn't bother anyone. We had a rush of stat books that Gry Sarth did around 2004. We had another prime-output moment when the SAGA conversions were rolling. But even between then we had a literal year where nothing was done PDF wise. So, even if you're not at your peak, it's no big deal. Sometimes stuff trickles in, sometimes it rolls in, and sometimes there are stretches of not much at all.

2. PDF production isn't about admin-level leadership. There's never been any top-down projects. Either a super motivated person pushes through a project solo, or a small group of people hammer through a project together. And that pretty well always goes on a "it happens or it doesn't" basis at the grass-roots level. And honestly, there's a lot more in the "doesn't" category than the "happens." Countless times people announce they're working hard on a project, get feedback on stats, crank out a bunch of material, then disappear never to be heard from again.

3. In the person's defense, it was (as Whill stated) comment, and not complaint. And the person in question makes an appreciated contribution in a different capacity. Though there are at least two reasons why I'm not at liberty to go into detail.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Don't forget the medical sourcebook put out several months back, after a # of us (inc me) did editing on the stuff in it.

Yes. Thanks!

RotS GG

If anyone wants to complete the fanmade galaxy guide for RotS that already started, here it the material. And since this is a public forum, anyone even not registered can use it and finish it, hopefully sharing the results somewhere. No one hoarding it. Here it is.

For the record, the new leadership of this site and the new movie being discussed have absolutely nothing to do with Rancor Pit content output.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: