The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pit Remodel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Pit Remodel Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Good job, Whill!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you added a "Top 10 Posters" option to the Memberlist Search function. Might it also be possible to add a "Most Recent Post" Search option, so as to narrow the list down to the most recently active posters?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I noticed you added a "Top 10 Posters" option to the Memberlist Search function. Might it also be possible to add a "Most Recent Post" Search option, so as to narrow the list down to the most recently active posters?

Actually I didn't add that. It's been there for a long time. There are currently no options to add Sort Method options to the Memberlist drop-down, so future software version updates may change those options.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might it be possible to add a “Show All Posts” option? I have, on occasion, missed a post because of the vagaries of the refresh settings; having a single page that shows ALL posts, starting with the most recent, would make it easier to catch stuff I miss.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Might it be possible to add a “Show All Posts” option? I have, on occasion, missed a post because of the vagaries of the refresh settings; having a single page that shows ALL posts, starting with the most recent, would make it easier to catch stuff I miss.

I don't think that is currently an option but may be in a future upgrade.

But actually, I'm hoping that it will be set-up so that posts do not disappear from the list until you actually view it, even if you log out and back on. So I hope that instead of "View posts since last visit" it will be "View new posts" as in new to you.

But who knows? Maybe there will also be a "View recent posts" option that just starts with the most recent and goes back for a while.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the "View My Posts" option, I've run into a repeated issue where, if I linger too long on one page, I get a "No topics or posts match your search criteria" result when I try to move to the next page. Is there some way to remove the time limit so that I don't have to start over again on the first page?

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
On the "View My Posts" option, I've run into a repeated issue where, if I linger too long on one page, I get a "No topics or posts match your search criteria" result when I try to move to the next page. Is there some way to remove the time limit so that I don't have to start over again on the first page?

I also run into that if I select to view the newest post in a thread. Like, I will open up a forum, click that for all of them... and only the first has new posts.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

This is related to your December request. I've thoroughly double checked the forums configurations and I'm sorry that there are no options that seem in any way related to changing these things or even say what the time limit is. But I really don't see what is so bad about back paging to the first page and proceeding from there.

You tend to not go too many days without checking on the forum, and we rarely have topics that are so popular that you get a couple new pages of posts in a single day (and when we do, you are almost always a part of that discussion). So I can't imagine that viewing new posts would have multiple new pages of a single thread that often.

These things do have easy user solutions if you can get into the habit of doing them. It is best to not be sitting idle any one page of the forum for a long time. Occasionally refresh your screen if you get caught up in other things and you are not done with new posts. A few times I've accidentally not logged out of the Pit while my family went out to dinner and come home to find I am still logged in and View New Post still works through multiple pages. However I do recommend never leaving the Pit idle on the View New Post screen.

Of course this takes us back to your previous request. The reason you are idol on a page instead of logging out is that when you do log out, the previous new posts are lost from your new View New Posts, whether you had read them or not. When I catch up reading the posts of a thread and one is going to take a longer reply, I usually will pop that out into a separate tab, move on viewing new posts, and coming back to the one in the other tab. This also equally works if I do need to just log out but don't want to forget to reply to a thread. When I log back in next, the posts I wanted to reply to will no longer be in View New Posts, but I've got it up in a separate tab.

This isn't ideal but I hope this helps. Someday these things should no longer be an issue when we upgrade to a newer version of php.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I mostly run into this problem is when browsing my previous posts (which runs to about 43 pages at this point), which I do on a semi-regular basis to see if anything jogs my memory or if I have any new thoughts. I don't usually go into it with a specific subject in mind, just general browsing. Before I know it, I'll have a 10-12 tabs open, but with no time to read any of them because I know if I wait too long to click the Next button, I'll have to refresh the Search all the way back on page 1, which can be quite frustrating.

Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have run into something similar with the search function before but not often. Where the next page of posts in the search results doesn't come up. But I didn't think I was on a page for too long and I was never able to figure out why it does that sometimes and not others. If it happens again I'll try to pay more attention to what happened to see if there is any rhyme and reason to it. Regardless, there isn't any forum configuration that can eliminate it so that will likely also disappear in a future php upgrade.

As for your specific experience, I must say that would be an extremely rare occurence at the Pit. You're the only one that has 43 pages of posts to look through!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Oddly enough, I just double-checked, and for whatever reason, when I click on Page 43, I get a blank result page. My actual posts don't start showing up until Page 38, so there are five blank pages tacked onto the end of my actual list of posts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: