The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Other Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Site Admin

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill, remind me, what was FFG's first canon product?
Falconer wrote:
The Force Awakens Beginner Game

Of course Falconer is correct.

cheshire wrote:
Hmm... very interesting. I'd kind of gone off buying the FFG SW line...

Me too. They stopped being carried at my local retail outlets so I can't look at them before I buy. I've got three of the books in an Amazon list but they are just too expensive to buy site unseen.

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started reading them, but I think there was only one that I ever finished cover to cover, and I didn't feel quite inspired for running a game. Part of that is probably had to do with where my gaming groups were at the time (i.e., both being GMed by someone else, and one of them being Doctor Who). The art is gorgeous, and they put quite a lot of time into developing a high-quality book, but I'm just not finding myself enough into the mechanics, and the fluff hasn't been carrying it for me on its own so far in the profession-specific books.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the more I look at this product description, and how they're listing it with the rest of their products, I'm beginning to wonder how this particular book came to be. They set up their "three product line" concept to cater to gamers running different flavors of games. It looked like they weren't planning on developing media tie ins when they started their RPG line. I'm wondering if this particular media tie-in came from an internal set of ideas, or whether it came from pressure from the license holder. LFL had put pressure on WotC in the past to create media tie ins, and even had a sit-down with WotC while their RPG books were on hiatus, resulting in a few RPG stats getting sprinkled into one of their miniatures products to satisfy their contracts.

I'd be interested if FFG gives any hints as to the hows and whys they came up with this book given how it fits in so differently from their other book concepts.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as far as I can tell, Dawn of Rebellion looks like the very first FFG book to be designed to cater to all three of the game lines at once. Not that I'm an expert with any sort of knowledge of the FFG Star Wars stuff. I like some of their fluff, but their game system looks so clunky to me that only a guy with a complexity addiction could have any hope of being able to play it, never mind enjoying it.

Even so, I'm still looking forward to this book if for no other reason that it will likely be a huge help to us Womp Rat Press guys working on the R1 and Rebels S2 & S3 books. I hate that we have to wait anywhere from 3 to 6 months for this book for what hopefully will be very useful fluff for our books.
Whill
Site Admin

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complexity addicts, lol. Yeah, the GM for the FFG Age of Rebellion convention adventure I played in was even making a bit of fun by saying that "FFG prints money".

cheshire wrote:
You know, the more I look at this product description, and how they're listing it with the rest of their products, I'm beginning to wonder how this particular book came to be. They set up their "three product line" concept to cater to gamers running different flavors of games. It looked like they weren't planning on developing media tie ins when they started their RPG line. I'm wondering if this particular media tie-in came from an internal set of ideas, or whether it came from pressure from the license holder. LFL had put pressure on WotC in the past to create media tie ins, and even had a sit-down with WotC while their RPG books were on hiatus, resulting in a few RPG stats getting sprinkled into one of their miniatures products to satisfy their contracts.

I'd be interested if FFG gives any hints as to the hows and whys they came up with this book given how it fits in so differently from their other book concepts.

My impression is that the game license is a very different situation under Disney. FFG announced their three-RPG product lines in 2012, and 2.5 months later the Lucasfilm sale to Disney with new movies was announced. Fying in the face of Disney's "everything is canon" policy, FFG RPG material continuity was across-the-board regulated to Legends status. I can think of no reason why FFG would not want to do canon movie tie-ins, which tells me that they were disallowed by Disneyfilm, with now only two exceptions. The only motivation I can think of for Disneyfilm restricting FFG from canon tie-ins would be to make it easier on the story group for managing canon continuity.

The flaw with my theory is that the story group is doing a piss-poor job at managing publishing continuity without much RPG material to account for, so it really makes me wonder if they are really even trying that hard. If not, then what would be the big deal is having canon RPG material?

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the feeling that the RPG section is a secondary concern for them, with the miniatures games being their primary thing. Pity, that.
Whill
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I have the feeling that the RPG section is a secondary concern for them, with the miniatures games being their primary thing. Pity, that.

That may be, but it's not like they're neglecting the FFG RPG. There's a whole lotta RPG fluff and crunch, contracted Star Wars art, and MSRP value below!

Beginner Games
Edge of the Empire
Age of Rebellion
Force and Destiny
The Force Awakens

Edge of the Empire RPG

EOTE Core Rulebook

Adventure Modules
Beyond the Rim
The Jewel of Yavin
Mask of the Pirate Queen

Supplements
EOTE Game Master's Kit
Enter the Unknown
Suns of Fortune
Dangerous Covenants
Far Horizons
Lords of Nal Hutta
Fly Casual
Special Modifications
No Disintegrations

Age of Rebellion RPG

AOR Core Rulebook

Adventure Modules
Onslaught at Arda I
Friends Like These

Supplements
AOR Game Master's Kit
Stay on Target
Desperate Allies
Strongholds of Resistance
Lead by Example
Forged in Battle
Fully Operational
Cyphers and Masks
Dawn of Rebellion

Force and Destiny RPG

FAD Core Rulebook

Adventure Modules
Chronicles of the Gatekeeper
Ghosts of Dathomir

Supplements
FAD Game Master's Kit
Keeping the Peace
Nexus of Power
Savage Spirits
Endless Vigil
Disciples of Harmony

Whill
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dawn of Rebellion Reply with quote

The Dawn of Rebellion book is listed as at the printers, but I don't know what that means as far as release date.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Other Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: