The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How did you get into the WEG Star Wars RPG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> How did you get into the WEG Star Wars RPG? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into it in the early-ish 90s. A friend of mine was my gateway into RPGs, and we had done Cyberpunk and 'Het Oog des Meesters' (the Dutch translation of the German 'Das Schwarze Auge', which was basically just off-brand D&D), and maybe Warhammer Roleplay already. I can't quite recall the order of them. He owned a set of French-translation 1st edition books. So, he was the GM, because my French was (and is) too shoddy to read RPGs with.

After secondary school, I've had the books here and there, but I haven't really had a gaming group consistent enough to have a regular tabletop game with. As a result, I took my gaming online with a custom-made website on which I edited together the posts that my players would send me over email into a fairly seamless narrative.
Whill
Site Admin

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you get into the WEG Star Wars RPG? Reply with quote

The actual date is lost to history, but it was 30 years ago this month that I got the original two WEG Star Wars books and began dreaming up my first campaign. I wanted to observe this anniversary and thought it would be cool to bump this thread to hopefully get some new responses...

Whill wrote:
I did most of my growing up in a small central Ohio town. At age 15, I got a part time job at the New Shop, a downtown store that had newspapers, magazines, books, occasion cards, tobacco, lottery, VHS video rentals, comic books, and roleplaying games. One Fall 87 night after school, I showed up for work and found two brand new RPG books...

Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game and The Star Wars Sourcebook! I hadn't heard anything about a Star Wars RPG in the works so I was very pleasantly surprised. Awesome!! I immediately bought them (wholesale). That night I went home and chucked my original D&D game world I had been designing for a year and began instead dreaming about playing the new Star Wars RPG. My gaming group since junior high had fizzled apart due to various regulars moving, becoming athletes, discovering cruising and alcohol, etc, so I needed to get a new group together. My best friend Mark (who had gotten me back into Star Wars earlier that year) had never been into RPGs but wanted to play, so he was my first recruit. I re-watched the films, read the books and began planning my first campaign.

That Winter, tragedy struck. Mark was a passenger with a friend of his driving around trying to get a hold of Bruce Springsteen tickets when the car was struck by a train. Mark was instantly killed. Over the course of the next few months, I became a surrogate big brother to Mark's younger brother Jeff, who was the same age as my younger brother. I guess Jeff became a surrogate best friend to me.

Jeff loved Star Wars too and wanted to play the RPG in his brother's place. I had befriended the guy whose locker was beside mine at school due to us both being Def Leppard fans, and it came up that Brian liked Star Wars so he was interested in playing. He said his cousin Dan (also a student at our same high school) would like to play, so I had the basis of a group. The three of them came over to my home in the Spring to talk about the game and create the PCs, and we decided to begin playing the first adventure of the campaign on the night of the last day of school. Since I didn't think only three starting level PCs would be enough, they each made two characters: Bounty Hunter & Pirate (Jeff), Retired Imperial Captain & Brash Pilot (Brian), Alien Student of the Force & Outlaw Cyborg Engineer (Dan). On the night of kicking off the campaign, Brian showed up with his little brother Mike asking if he could play too, so we quickly made up a Gambler and the five of us played the first half of the first adventure (an original my own device). In my notes this campaign was code-named "S1" (Star Wars Campaign 1).

We had a blast! We played the adventures of Black Squad all summer and continued into the next school year. On Mondays at lunch, we would talk about our weekend adventures and some of our other friends became interested in playing too. I had five more players, but I thought a nine player group would be too unwieldy (and I also didn't want to mix starting-level PCs with experienced ones), so I started a second campaign ("S2") and the adventures of Green Squad began as I pretty much took turns playing with each group.

My original intention was that both campaigns would take place at the same time in the same universe. Even though the two Rebel groups were based in different parts of the galaxy, I thought maybe we could eventually have crossovers and intertwined continuity. But it soon became apparent that I couldn't keep up with designing enough original adventures for both groups so decided that S2 took place in a parallel universe to S1 so that I could adapt S1 adventures for reuse with S2. So the campaign designations of S1 and S2 became campaign world/universe designations.

All of these players and myself were in the brainy "nerd" clique, but that school year Jim, one of my S2 players (who had transferred in from another school), had semi-infiltrated a big group of "peace niks" which were the kids who listened to U2 and REM, basically hippies without drugs. Many of them were thespians in the school plays, and as it turns out, they also played RPGs, mostly D&D and Cthulhu. When they found out Jim knew me and played in my Star Wars campaigns, they asked him to invite me to one of their game weekends and to bring my Star Wars stuff. Some of them liked Star Wars and were very interested in seeing what all the hype for the SW RPG was about. My reputation as a gamemaster of two separate regular game groups actually impressed them! I ran an edited version of Tatooine Manhunt for a group of 10 players and it was a huge success. I decided to canonize the universe of the 1983 homebrew Star Wars RPG into my WEG multiverse and declared this adventure took place there (S0). This began a more loosely structured serial campaign for whomever out of this group showed up (usually 5-6 players), making that three simultaneous game groups. And somehow I managed this while having a part time job, getting decent grades, going to movies, dating girls, cruising and alcohol!

From 1988 to 1990, I truly was king of the nerds in my town. At various points those first three campaigns ended to be replaced by new ones, and a fourth distinct campaign universe (S3) was introduced for two of the new campaigns. Players were shifted around between groups. (I guess all of us formed a super-clique of Star Wars RPG players at my high school.) This first edition era gaming really was the Golden Age.

The rest, as they say, is history. In college, for my second edition era gaming I had a fifth distinct campaign world (S4) I ran for an always evolving group of my fraternity brothers, a 4-year serial campaign. After R&E was released, I've had one more distinct campaign world (S5) with several different player groups and campaigns.

I sold my 1E SW Sourcebook when I got the 2E version, but I still have my original copy of the core RPG book I bought new in 1987. It's seen better days, but it's like my original Ten Commandments tablets that Moses destroyed when he came down the mountain. Cool

And as documented here, I did get my original copy of my 1e SW Sourcebook back after 22 years apart from it.

How did you get into the WEG Star Wars RPG?

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had the blue Vader cover of 2e when I went to visit him. We barged our way through it, doing some sort of adventure that I likely made up on the spot, and then I went back to Houston. In college, I got into R&E.
Whill
Site Admin

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Whills Universe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you get into the WEG Star Wars RPG? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
How did you get into the Star Wars franchise?

After you post in the above thread, please tell us here how you got into the WEG Star Wars RPG this website is dedicated to! Thanks.

(And again, please fee free to share as much or as little detail as you wish).

Anyone else? How did you get into the WEG Star Wars RPG?

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
Solo4114
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: I didn't! Well, not exactly.

I was vaguely aware of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game put out by WEG probably starting around the mid to late 90s. Basically, just before they lost the license. I think I discovered references to it tangentially through playing games like Star Wars: Rebellion, and reading through the Star Wars Encyclopedia 2nd edition (I think that's what it was called). Entries in that book made reference to stuff from the RPG, so that clued me in to its existence.

It wasn't until probably 2006 or so that I met a guy who did some freelance work for WEG (he wrote Cynabar's droid book and some other stuff) who told me a little more about it. Even then, I still hadn't actually seen anything from it.

There was a games shop in my area in the early 90s, but as far as I know, they didn't carry the WEG stuff. Lots of Warhammer/40K stuff, AD&D, and some other more obscure things. Plenty of minis, modules, etc. But aside from maybe having some Star Wars minis, I don't think they had a ton of WEG stuff. Regardless, I wasn't really looking for it, and the store shut down or moved probably around '95 or so. Maybe earlier."

Anyway, bottom line here is that there wasn't really any avenue for me to learn about the game until much, much later. Just this year, as I was getting more interested in old school RPGs again and picking up books on ebay (as well as digging through my own old collection that I unearthed from my basement), I decided to take a look at the Star Wars RPG, and found it to be a really interesting system.

I still, however, have not had a chance to actually play the game (which, to be fair, is mostly true of all tabletop RPGs -- nobody around me ever really played, and I only dimly recall a couple of sessions at friends houses that went nowhere and felt really unfocused). So, in the sense of "how'd you get into it," I didn't, because I wouldn't say I've had a chance to "get into it" in any sense other than leafing through the books currently. I'd love to get into a game, but finding the time and a group is tricky for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: