The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updating the Stat Template for Starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Updating the Stat Template for Starships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, would like either, or both.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I'm gearing up to do stat re-writes for starships, I'd appreciate your thoughts as to which of these various rules are worth including, and which, in your opinion, are too complicated for easy inclusion in a game.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps for things that are super complicated, you could do original values in parenthesis before or after the new value?

Like with Endurance Dice: 17D (1 Year).

I'm not sure what you have that is super complicated.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything i would have the original stats in regular, then go bold or 'color' for the alternate/revised stats..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If anything i would have the original stats in regular, then go bold or 'color' for the alternate/revised stats..

One thing I've been strongly considering is rolling back the Sensor Ranges rule and replacing it with a simple (-5 to Sensors Difficulty if less than 50% of Range, +10 Difficulty if between 100-200% of Range).

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My solution was to apply crew casualties as dice penalties applied against the ship's crew skill ratings. It also ties in with what I just posted, as a more experienced and capable crew will be better at keeping the ship in combat, despite crew casualties.

"My elegantly simple solution..."

There, fixed.

(Also I am totally going to steal this for my games).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to steal something I'm giving away for free, but positive feedback is always appreciated.

Jollyone
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Another thing I want to add is a simplified version of the Power Transfer rules from Pirates and Privateers. Rather than having a complicated system for transferring power, my version simply provides 1D (or +2 Move) of Auxiliary Power that can be applied at the pilot / captain's discretion to any one system. Some ships (generally the larger ones) will have more Auxiliary Power available, but no ship system can receive more than 1D of Auxiliary Power at a time. So, for example, if a ship has a 2D Auxiliary Power Rating, it can only allocate 1D to Shields; the remaining 1D must either be allocated to another system or remain unused.

Any use of auxiliary power must be declared at the beginning of the round, and remains allocated to that system until the ship's pilot / captain declares otherwise.

Really like the Pirates and Privateers book and the up to 2D. Has there been any further work on this? Say a command roll? There is no power managment skill but going off of memory I think they used a shield or sensor roll? Thinking of using scale to have number avail? I think zero for starfighter and maybe starting at transport size with +1 or 1D?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that starfighters in the X-Wing computer game very clearly had power distribution capabilities, I'm going to stick with all ships having a base of 1D, while some larger, more powerful ships would have 2D (or possibly more) available.

As for tying it to Command, I'm not sure that's necessary. Per the RAW, a ship doesn't require a Command roll to perform actions, so requiring a skill roll just for power distribution would be a bit excessive. There's one person giving orders, and lots of crew to follow those orders,, including a chief engineer (or someone to that effect) whose whole job is to redistribute power based on the captain's orders. If it were a 1 or 2 man ship, I'd be more inclined to base it on a roll, or at least a no-roll action for MAP purposes.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Considering that starfighters in the X-Wing computer game very clearly had power distribution capabilities, I'm going to stick with all ships having a base of 1D, while some larger, more powerful ships would have 2D (or possibly more) available.

Enough of various Sci-fi have the "transfer auxillary power to shields" that it has become something of a trope, which is why I use starship shields skill for doing this. Heck, one might even argue that the Mon Calamari "redundant shielding" is merely a bunch of large scale capacitors used for exactly this purpose..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

As for tying it to Command, I'm not sure that's necessary. Per the RAW, a ship doesn't require a Command roll to perform actions, so requiring a skill roll just for power distribution would be a bit excessive. There's one person giving orders, and lots of crew to follow those orders,, including a chief engineer (or someone to that effect) whose whole job is to redistribute power based on the captain's orders. If it were a 1 or 2 man ship, I'd be more inclined to base it on a roll, or at least a no-roll action for MAP purposes.

Just as a thought, could the skill be used, and command be rolled to negate any penalties, like MAP, or otherwise, even to the point of boosting the skill....
But the skill determines the base success, with command acting as a modifier up or down
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a house rule allowing Command skill rolls to boost the Crew Skill dice on ship stats, but if the actual process for rerouting power is as simple as hitting a switch (which is basically what happens in the X-Wing game), then it isn't nearly complicated enough to require a skill roll. I'd likely just rule that the ship's captain can switch power from one system to another at the beginning of every round as a Free Action, but must declare which system the power is getting switched to.

Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've got a house rule allowing Command skill rolls to boost the Crew Skill dice on ship stats, but if the actual process for rerouting power is as simple as hitting a switch (which is basically what happens in the X-Wing game), then it isn't nearly complicated enough to require a skill roll. I'd likely just rule that the ship's captain can switch power from one system to another at the beginning of every round as a Free Action, but must declare which system the power is getting switched to.

Perhaps it's a matter of finding the available power? At first, flipping power about is as simple as turning a knob down and a different one up.. but as a fight goes on you need to override safeties to take from lifesupport, or whatever. To me this implies an increasing difficulty sort of like the "call on the dark side" mechanic from first ed.. or to explain it a different way, no skill roll is required to walk, but every mile after the first few gets a bit harder, until you are facing quite high stamina rolls to keep going.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how using command makes a guy who is almost untrained in gunnery become trained, just because some guy shouts orders....it makes Zero sense.

I can however see how good leadership, which command in essence is reducing difficulties, and by this enhancing performance, but I can not see how
4D become 6D because someone gave an order, if that is the case that is the only needed skill......
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I don't see how using command makes a guy who is almost untrained in gunnery become trained, just because some guy shouts orders....it makes Zero sense.

I can however see how good leadership, which command in essence is reducing difficulties, and by this enhancing performance, but I can not see how
4D become 6D because someone gave an order, if that is the case that is the only needed skill......

How many Sci Fi shows have the line "Fire on my command" though.. sometimes timing and coordination can make all the difference. Tall ships used three main strategies with their broadsides.. either a sort of fire as fast as you can get it reloaded sort of thing, a rolling fire where each cannon tried to target the same spot as they passed by, or one single massive volley at a time. Two of those three would require command rolls, and all of them adapt well to starwars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: