The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

One-shot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> One-shot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: One-shot Reply with quote

I have it in mind to run a one-shot next week, sort of an over-the-top grand adventure. I want it to be as Star Warsey as possible. I listed some of my expectations in a recent thread—space travel, space battles, space princesses, space warriors, big things blowing up, people and aliens getting blasted, chases, outsmartings, ancient relics, faceless armies, gigantic creatures, palaces, pits, wastes, moons, cloaking devices, weird science, cloning, carbonite freezing, fantastic lasers, androids and cyborgs, psionics, nebulae, grandeur, suspense, capes. Of course it can’t include all this in a 4-hour time slot, but I list it to hopefully give the impression that I’m not going for a “beginner” adventure of ordinary grunts doing ordinary things, but rather grand space opera. Can anyone recommend an excellent scenario?
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recommendations I’ve found from another thread on another site:

Strike Force: Shantipole
Scavenger Hunt
Starfall

Anything you could tell me about these, especially their suitability as a one-shot, would be greatly appreciated!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Some recommendations I’ve found from another thread on another site:

Strike Force: Shantipole
Scavenger Hunt
Starfall

Anything you could tell me about these, especially their suitability as a one-shot, would be greatly appreciated!

Those are all good adventures with big scale and explosions. But they could all go over 4 hours.

Shantipole is probably the most linear so easiest to stay on track. Ackbar, check. Experimental 2-pilot B-Wings, check.

Starfall has immediate immersion into the world and motivation. (PCs start out captured by the Empire and held in a detention cell of a victory-class star destroyer that gets damaged when attacked.) But it is the most open and easiest to go off track if the PCs keep wanting to devise unconventional strategies (and don't heed the expert NPC's suggestions and warnings). There's no space combat unless things go way off track.

Scavenger Hunt has some areas that can go off track, including negotiations with NPCs that can bog down the adventure if you have any players that really into roleplaying NPC interactions.

If getting through it in 4 hours is important or necessary, then I would suggest Strike Force: Shantipole but know it well so you know where you can edit out things if need be.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Whill.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I went with Starfall. I like how high-concept it is. I think it will suit our needs. If we don’t finish it, that’s actually okay, as long as we have fun along the way. Another factor is that I could find a hardcopy that I could very affordably get overnighted. 8)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Update: I went with Starfall. I like how high-concept it is. I think it will suit our needs. If we don’t finish it, that’s actually okay, as long as we have fun along the way. Another factor is that I could find a hardcopy that I could very affordably get overnighted. 8)

Excellent choice then.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I ran Starfall on Friday night. It was a blast!

I should explain that I run an annual birthday “D&D drinking game,” which is always a raucous good time. So, for this game, we printed out characters from the GGs and wrote out some of their quotes. The idea is that any time someone drops a movie quote in a way that is appropriate and hilarious, everyone “has to” take a drink. Most of us start with a shot or two of vodka and then switch to beer.

One of my friends arrived early and cooked my favorite birthday dinner (Greek salad, Greek potatoes, spanakopita, and moussaka). We all ate, and everyone selected characters. It was Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, Mon Mothma, Lando, Han, and Leia. The guy who made dinner played Yoda, but he had to leave early on.

Rules: The Star Wars Roleplaying Game 1e rulebook was all I needed, with the sole addition of the difficulty numbers from the “Rules Upgrade” (handily printed on the GM screen from the Campaign Pack). I’m not sure how this mechanic works in 1e pre-upgrade, but, this is clearly what the module was using, so, it is what I went with. Obviously the characters are powerful, so, I always went with the highest number of a given difficulty grade.

I *really* enjoyed how the rules worked. Really light, fast, cinematic. I never had to write down any numbers. Rolls were almost always dramatic and didn’t feel like total fire drills.

Adventure: I dropped the “script,” the “cutaways,” the “backstory,” and the NPC who is supposed to follow you around the whole time, along with his entire plot. It simply began: You are in a holding cell on a star destroyer. Then I read the bits about hearing and feeling the explosions and klaxons, and the power going out. And so it proceeded…

Well, it proceeded mostly how it’s supposed to, though dropping the NPC I think gave the players more room for ingenuity and a better sense of free agency. I think the adventure could have done a bit of a better job in giving you tools for when the players go “off the rails.” Next time I run this (whenever that may be), I’ll be sure to have more complete schematics of a star destroyer (can anyone suggest where to find these)? The other thing that I thought was weak in the module were the captain’s “taunts” that come over the shipwide com. Next time I will rewrite them, or just wing it.

Otherwise, how awesome! The dark and dead detention block, the climb down the turbolift shaft, the burning catwalk, the shootout at the power core? Excellent![/img]
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the dinner theme shouldn't you have started with ouzo instead of vodka? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: