The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

PlanetGuard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> PlanetGuard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: PlanetGuard Reply with quote

So, just an idle thought: Do you think that most civilized systems in the Galaxy have "cleared" their systems? Taken care of comets and asteroids, either moving them to safe orbits or mining them?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Absolutely. Including de-orbiting or scrapping obsolete satellites and so on. The only exception I might consider would be where the dominant culture might actually make a more complex system as a defensive measure - someone like the Chiss Ascendancy might build a 'dirtier' system with rogue comets and what have you as their civilian traffic is likely not that civilian to start with.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Most systems would have done that for ease of commerce..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I agree. Most systems would have done that for ease of commerce..

Based on discussions in other topics, this would be the province of System Patrol (the SWU equivalent of the Coast Guard). In the same way that the US Coast Guard provides ice breaking and buoy maintenance, System Patrol would likely provide towing services to clear in-system hazards that are too large to be dealt with by most ship's navigation shields.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Yes. Absolutely. Including de-orbiting or scrapping obsolete satellites and so on. The only exception I might consider would be where the dominant culture might actually make a more complex system as a defensive measure - someone like the Chiss Ascendancy might build a 'dirtier' system with rogue comets and what have you as their civilian traffic is likely not that civilian to start with.

This cuts both ways, though. The Hoth system was naturally "dirty" with a lot of meteor activity, and as a result, it was "difficult to spot approaching ships." With the sheer volume found in a star system, I would think deliberately creating a dirty system would be more trouble than it would be worth. This might be easier to achieve if it were concentrated around a particular planet, but the existence of navigation shields, repulsorlifts, tractor beams and the like would greatly limit the utility of, say, a counter-orbiting debris ring or something.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: