The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rundown C..

Now we just need to stat OUT some of the artillery units..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's up next. I've had my AT-AA artillery variant on the backburner until we could develop usable artillery rules. Since we seem to have cleared that hurdle, the only real question is what would be an appropriate range?

I'm going to give it the ability to fire both artillery rockets and the guided anti-starfighter torpedoes from my ASC system, so it can serve as either an artillery platform, a SAM launcher or both, depending on its ordnance loadout.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to simplify things even further, here's a conversion chart for the three different blast radius types:
    Standard
    -1 = -1D
    -2 = -2D
    -3 = -3D
    -4 = -4D
    -5 = -5D
    -6 = -6D
    -7 = -7D
    -8 = -8D
    -9 = -9D
    -10 = -10D
    -11 = -11D
    -12 = -12D
    -13 = -13D
    -14 = -14D
    -15 = -15D
    -16 = -16D
    -17 = -17D
    -18 = -18D
    -19 = -19D
    -20 = -20D

Area
    -1-2 = -1D
    -3-4 = -2D
    -5-6 = -3D
    -7-8 = -4D
    -9-10 = -5D
    -11-12 = -6D
    -13-14 = -7D
    -15-16 = -8D
    -17-18 = -9D
    -19-20 = -10D
    -21-22 = -11D
    -23-24 = -12D
    -25-26 = -13D
    -27-28 = -14D
    -29-30 = -15D
    -31-32 = -16D
    -33-34 = -17D
    -35-36 = -18D
    -37-38 = -19D
    -39-40 = -20D

Point
    -1 = -2D
    -2 = -4D
    -3 = -6D
    -4 = -8D
    -5 = -10D
    -6 = -12D
    -7 = -14D
    -8 = -16D
    -9 = -18D
    -10 = -20D

Using this chart, the artillery shells from the previous page would look more like so:
    Anti-Personnel
    -Damage: 2D (Area)

HE Regular
    -Damage: 7D (Standard)

Anti-Vehicle / Bunker Buster
    -Damage: 9D (Point)

Indendiary
    -Damage: 2D Fire (Standard)

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's up next. I've had my AT-AA artillery variant on the backburner until we could develop usable artillery rules. Since we seem to have cleared that hurdle, the only real question is what would be an appropriate range?

I'm going to give it the ability to fire both artillery rockets and the guided anti-starfighter torpedoes from my ASC system, so it can serve as either an artillery platform, a SAM launcher or both, depending on its ordnance loadout.

Well, lets look at one of my walkers. The AT-HP.
Code:
Craft: All terrain howitzer platform
Type: dedicated mobile howitzer unit Walker
Scale: Walker
Skill: Walker Operation: AT-HP
Crew: 3; Gunners: 18
Passengers: None
Cover: Full
Cargo Capacity: 15 kg, + Ammo
Move: 26; 75kmh
Maneuverability: 1D
Body Strength: 6D
Weapons:
3 120mm Howitzers
Fire arc: Turret
Crew: 3
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Artillery
Fire control: 1D/0d when used for indirect suppression fire
Damage: 5d
Blast radius: 5M
Range: 150m-5km/10km/15km
* Carries enough ammo for 40 shots each.

I crimped out the excess info and secondary weapons.. Those howitzers, at 120mm and having 15k max range, is actually SHORT compared to modern howitzers we have here on earth. BUT compared to most SW weapons it does admittedly seem long as hell. Also the only 1d fire control seems low.. Perhaps having it go to 4d/3d/1d for the ranges, adding 2d if it has a spotter..
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I will soon be introducing my group to a lower-tech level planet, this should come in handy.

Also going to introduce the Rebel Alliance to the "Leg Mortar", which allows regular grenades (typically Frag Grenades) to be launched by the mortar. Just slap a sensor on it to help target, and make sure it doesn't hit the top of a generated shield, and it'll be another useful tool.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most "Leg mortars" i know of (have read stuff for) seem to indicate they are very close range.. Say 100/240/500m at most..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leg mortar? Are you thinking of the Type 89 Grenade discharger, a.k.a a "knee mortar" / "leg mortar" (depending on whether you use the mistranslation or not)?

Its maximum range seemed to be about 2,000 feet, so garhkal is pretty bang on there for low-tech solutions. Of course, a higher tech solution - say, something like a pulsing repulsorlift 'booster' type mortar might get better range, and perhaps even terminal guidance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me wonder. IN WW1 and 2 even, we saw Rifle projectile grenades/missiles. Yet in all the books for SW, we've never seen anything close to it...
So i wonder what one of them would look like for a SW setting.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That makes me wonder. IN WW1 and 2 even, we saw Rifle projectile grenades/missiles. Yet in all the books for SW, we've never seen anything close to it...
So i wonder what one of them would look like for a SW setting.

I've actually been playing with a character idea that uses something like that. Really, it's just a Missile Weapon that uses Grenades for damage and carbines for range. For a strict rifle-launched grenade, I imagine it has to do with them using blasters, for the most part.

REUP has a Grenade Launcher, too.

Grenade Launcher
Grenade launchers are military weapons that greatly improve the range of grenades. Grenades fired by grenade launchers always explode on impact, regardless of timers or other considerations.
The type of grenade used determines the damage, type, and burst radius. Grenade launchers cannot be used to hurl thermal detonators because these devices are simply too big and heavy (although some larger grenade mortars can hurl thermal detonators as well).
 GRENADE LAUNCHER
Type: Grenade launcher
Scale: Character
Skill: Missile weapons: grenade launcher
Ammo: 4
Cost: 500
Availability: 2, X
Fire Rate: 1
Range: 0-250/350/500
Blast Radius: By grenade type
Damage: By grenade type
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was figuring fitting it with a Targeting Computer type system, with a few minor sensors.

Augmented Reality targeting scope being shown in a Macrobinocular-equipped helmet, sensor to make sure the atmospheric and gravitational conditions are right (wind speed and gravity adjusts how physical things fly) and to make sure it doesn't hit the top of a field army shield (think the Gungan Army in the ending battle of The Phantom Menace), and a bit more advanced gunpowder (or a repulsorlift to get away from needing a second ignition source) combined with a bit less technological grenade (lots of pressure means the regular Star Wars grenades won't survive the "kick".).

For a group like the Empire, not worth the time when they have far better artillery and dedicated heavy weapons.

For a Rebellion which would be more likely to have a few crates of lower-end grenades and need a shorter ranged artillery piece, certainly more than worth developing!

No longer able to be strapped to a leg like the Type 89 could, but one hell of a lot less weight for a Mortar Team to be carrying. Especially as the regular troops can toss them their hand grenades! So, yeah. Commander with Helmet system (including a beefy commlink to cut through jamming and get targeting data), sensor/targeting computer carrier, and mortar tube carrier.

And no one has to carry the damned baseplate from normal mortars, which I'm sure military folks can confirm is a special kind of humping hell.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The AT-HP

For starters, how devoted are you to this stat? Honestly, I think the concept is deeply flawed and outdated, but this isn't the first time you've brought up. What aspects are you willing to let go, and which ones have to stay?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as grenades are concerned, I'm looking at the following:
    Standard Grenade Launcher, based around the universal grenade system used by the Colonial Marines in Aliens. Individual rounds are pre-loaded for velocity depending on what they are used for, and can either be thrown or launched from a variety of different launchers.

Micro Grenade Launchers (as from the Bounty Hunter Handbook) are folded into the WH40K Bolter stats

Battle Grenades: a modular warhead that can be A)thrown by hand using a fusion-locking attachment), B) launched by a direct-fire high-velocity RPG or C) launched by a variable velocity mortar.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
The AT-HP

For starters, how devoted are you to this stat? Honestly, I think the concept is deeply flawed and outdated, but this isn't the first time you've brought up. What aspects are you willing to let go, and which ones have to stay?

Devoted, moderately.. What areas you think are flawed? And why??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Craft: All terrain howitzer platform

For one thing, howitzer is a term for a specific type of artillery cannon. It implies a specific sort of function that may not necessarily be the case.

Also, Star Wars being a visual universe means that vehicles of a certain look tend to congregate in groups. In this case, an octo-pod spider walker strikes me as more of a Separatist vehicle than an Imperial one.

Quote:
Move: 26; 75kmh
Maneuverability: 1D
Body Strength: 6D

So, basically, it's as tough as an AT-AT, but faster and more maneuverable, which introduces game balance issues. Generally speaking, artillery isn't as tough up close.

Quote:
Weapons:
3 120mm Howitzers
Fire arc: Turret
Crew: 3
Scale: Speeder

Why Speeder-scale? That makes it more like an All-Terrain Mortar Transport. Plus, there's no need to be specific on weapon size. "120mm Howitzer" provides little in the way of in-game usefulness, but can open the door to complicated questions later. I suggest calling it a Heavy Grav-Launcher or something, suitably vague and high-tech.

Quote:
Skill: Artillery
Fire control: 1D/0d when used for indirect suppression fire

Why give it two FC ratings? Are you planning to use these like DP cannon?

Quote:
Carries enough ammo for 40 shots each.

I suggest giving it a 90-100 round central magazine, feeding a 5-10 round ready magazine at each cannon

Quote:
I crimped out the excess info and secondary weapons.. Those howitzers, at 120mm and having 15k max range, is actually SHORT compared to modern howitzers we have here on earth. BUT compared to most SW weapons it does admittedly seem long as hell. Also the only 1d fire control seems low.. Perhaps having it go to 4d/3d/1d for the ranges, adding 2d if it has a spotter..

For that, we need to go back and look at some of your earlier posts about accuracy modifiers, maybe with an eye toward converting those to better fit with the -1=-1D rule.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
For one thing, howitzer is a term for a specific type of artillery cannon. It implies a specific sort of function that may not necessarily be the case.

Not necessarily the case, since we have self propelled howitzers in rl..

CRMcNeill wrote:
Also, Star Wars being a visual universe means that vehicles of a certain look tend to congregate in groups. In this case, an octo-pod spider walker strikes me as more of a Separatist vehicle than an Imperial one.

Tell that to the designers of that spider legged AT-MT..

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, basically, it's as tough as an AT-AT, but faster and more maneuverable, which introduces game balance issues. Generally speaking, artillery isn't as tough up close.

Body strength, sure its the same. Speed, yes it's faster, but not by much.. And cause OF it's stability (8 legs vs 4) it has better maneuvering. So how's about its maneuverability is lost when the AT'HP sets up to fire..

CRMcNeill wrote:
Why Speeder-scale? That makes it more like an All-Terrain Mortar Transport. Plus, there's no need to be specific on weapon size. "120mm Howitzer" provides little in the way of in-game usefulness, but can open the door to complicated questions later. I suggest calling it a Heavy Grav-Launcher or something, suitably vague and high-tech.

I went speeder scale as a base for most artillery shells.. Walker for Anti=vehicle, cha scale for AP shells.. I could see upping it to walker scale and dropping the base shells to say 4d+2 damage.. As to the name, heavy grav-launcher doesn't fit.. BUT i suck at coming up with sci-fi sounding names for modern tech..

CRMcNeill wrote:
Why give it two FC ratings? Are you planning to use these like DP cannon?

Its like a # of canon ships. FIre a weapon from the designated spot (like a Y-wings turret ion cannon fired from it's 2nd seat) you get the fire control.
Fire it from the cockpit, and you lose the fire control (Or it goes down)..
So by that logic, firing it with spotters gives you a FC bonus. Fire indirectly (without spotters) and you have none.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I suggest giving it a 90-100 round central magazine, feeding a 5-10 round ready magazine at each cannon

Well, 40 shots per barrel gives it 120 shots total.. Dropping it down to 100 doesn't work as there would be an odd # of shells.. 90 just drops it to 30/barrel...

CRMcNeill wrote:
For that, we need to go back and look at some of your earlier posts about accuracy modifiers, maybe with an eye toward converting those to better fit with the -1=-1D rule.

True..
So if you were to re-write it, what would it look like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: