The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Warheads and Scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Warheads and Scale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Warheads and Scale Reply with quote

With recent movies and tv show developments they show starfighters being able to damage capital ships. This is a departure from First Editions and Second Edition R&E rules. I know it is technically possible in those rules it is not likely at all. I have two ideas to run past you guys:

Option 1: Proton Torpedoes and Concussion Missiles ignore scaling rules, meaning they do 8D damage no matter the scale of the target.

Option 2: Spend a Force Point to do Option 1 or double torpedo/missile damage.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torpedoes used in Rogue One to disable the Star Destroyer are specifically called Ion Torpedoes. We don't have any stats on them, but it's safe to assume that they do ion damage. As torpedoes it's likely that they are larger than missiles and have a bigger payload. An assumption of 9D ion damage starfighter scale is viable.

As you know, ion damage ionizes controls. For each ionized control you lose one D of maneuverability. When you lose all your maneuverability dice your ship effectively shuts down for 2 rounds. Imperial class Star Destroyers only have 1D of maneuverability dice.

Both Ion cannons and torpedoes ignore energy shields, so no worries there either, and the star destroyer was hit by multiple torpedoes, so we can even call it a combined action, upping the damage again, bringing it to a reasonable chance of beating out the hull code on the star destroyer by 1. That's all it takes to disable a star destroyer for 2 rounds with ion damage.

If the assumptions stand, then the rules stand up just fine there.

Page 127 & 128 of the 2E R&E core rule book are where the relevant rules are if you want to review them.

I don't watch the TV shows, so I can't help you there.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Warheads and Scale Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
With recent movies and tv show developments they show starfighters being able to damage capital ships. This is a departure from First Editions and Second Edition R&E rules. I know it is technically possible in those rules it is not likely at all. I have two ideas to run past you guys:

Option 1: Proton Torpedoes and Concussion Missiles ignore scaling rules, meaning they do 8D damage no matter the scale of the target.

Option 2: Spend a Force Point to do Option 1 or double torpedo/missile damage.

what you have proposed is, in my opinion, very game breaking. especially option 1.

option 2 has been a house rule in nearly every game i have ever been a part of where i was not the gm.

go with what kytross has suggested. also look at the optional rules for increasing damage for succeeding exceptionally well when making an attack roll. iirc it states that damage goes up by 1D for every 5 the attacker beats the defenders roll.

all in all what happened in rogue one is wholly within the rules. the only thing missing is the stats for the ion torpedoes, which admittedly might be around here somewhere...

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: