The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Better Stats for Common Items
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Better Stats for Common Items
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Better Stats for Common Items Reply with quote

I started thinking about this recently, after reading the following in a recently posted stat:
    -Two retractable 10,000 candle power spot lights: Capable of reaching 50 meters in complete darkness.

So what?

This is not a swipe at the stat writer, as there are a lot of stat entries out there that provide seemingly useful information that ultimately proves relatively worthless when trying to apply the item to the game.

For example, the only use of poor light in the RAW is on page 93 of the 2R&E Rulebook, where varying degrees of darkness provide bonuses to Concealment.
    Poor Light = +1D
    Moonlit Night = +2D
    Complete Darkness = +4D

IMO, a good stat for a glowrod or any other kind of illuminating device should specify the degree of Concealment it negates, to what distance and to how great an area (like a portable lantern providing 360 degree coverage instead of the narrow arc of a flashlight). An example stat would be:
    Glowrod
    Fire Arc: Any one arc
    Range: 25/50/100 meters
    Effect: Negates up to 4D/2D/1D of darkness-based Concealment bonuses.

What are some other mundane, everyday items that could have better rules for in-game use?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thought? Communications gear. Don't tell me light years or "low orbit"... give me space ranges or hyperdrive hours. Is 200 light years within 3 hours by class 1 hyperdrive? Can I reach Bespin from Hoth with that subspace tranceiver?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
First thought? Communications gear. Don't tell me light years or "low orbit"... give me space ranges or hyperdrive hours. Is 200 light years within 3 hours by class 1 hyperdrive? Can I reach Bespin from Hoth with that subspace tranceiver?

Excellent point, especially for FTL comms. Since all interplanetary speeds are measured in transit hours, it'd be much more useful to know that your subspace comm has a 1-H-Hour range than a 25 light year range. Planetary comms are a little more problematic since WEG fumbled the transition from atmosphere to orbital ranges, but I'm sure there is a solution in there somewhere.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight. Especially when it comes to weapons and gear. How much does a blaster weigh? A small fusion generator? A landspeeder?

Power. How much power does a fusion generator (of any size) put out?
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communications and Weight are both great ones. I'm a bit of a weirdo and I like knowing the prices of more mundane objects like Clothes. I don't need a massive book detailing the various fashions of Corellian spring wear versus the Alderaanian winter formal dress suits. Would be nice to have that but I'm more than happy to settle for some basic outfits with costs. For example:

Mechanic's Outfit: 250 Credits
Desert Farmer Outfit: 30 Credits and a scratchy sensation everywhere.
Hapan Courtesan Outfit: 800+

So on and so forth.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Weight. Especially when it comes to weapons and gear. How much does a blaster weigh? A small fusion generator? A landspeeder?

Are you thinking in terms of specific weights, or just in terms of classification for Lifting Difficulties?

jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering Very Easy Lifting Difficulty starts at 10kg (just over 22 pounds), most personal items are going to have negligible weight. Are you thinking in bigger terms, like starship tonnage and the like?

jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly stuff a character could interact with. Even though there are encumbrance rules there are still times when the weight of an item or piece of gear becomes important.

And then there are the everyday items; say a landspeeder. What if a character needs to push one out of the way? What if a wookie wants to throw one? (And if so, what would the damage be?)
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have begun looking into using a modified version of the Ghost Busters D6 RPG encumberance rules. Basically everything has an encumberance rating based in "hands." Pistol? 1 hand. Rifle? 2 hands. E-Web? 5 hands.. the tripod is =1 hand equipment granting a -2hand bonus when deployed, allowing two people to use it set up, but three required to move it about.. as seen in Empire. I know it's a little oversimplified, but I kinda like the concept of not adding weights. Also: utility belts, backpacks, etc. become extra hands items. Characters with lots of misc. junk are highly encouraged by this to customize their uniforms (think Boba Fett). Just my .02 credits.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Not just weight, but bulk. I can carry a large @$$ box that weighs little, but it will still encumber me.

jmanski wrote:

Agreed. Power suits often list a 'can run for X time', but very few other things do the same.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Well, it's been a while, but I found at least a partial official answer to your question. This article from Challenge Magazine #62 includes basic weight values (in kilograms) of common pieces of personal equipment, including armor and blasters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: