The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Time for repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Time for repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Time for repair Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to handle the time for repairing (droids, ship system, ...). On the rules, time for repair is stated with 15 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day, 2 days. And their are difficulty levels.

So what does this mean?

If the Jawa want's to repair a droid, I have to determine a difficulty number. Then the Jawa rolls his repair skill dice. If he has success at the first roll, it takes 15 min to repair the droid? If he fails, he have to roll again. If he has success on the 2nd roll, it takes 1 hour to repair the droid. If he fails again, the next roll will take 1 hour to repair it?

Note: Until now for this I have determined a target number like 60 and an in-game time span every roll takes, e.g. 1 hour. Then the Jawa had to roll his skill dice and collect his numbers until he beats the target number - say he has needed 4 rolls to get 60+. So the Jawas has needed 4 hours to repair the droid.

Thank you!
Purzelkater
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lightly damaged droid requires 15 minutes to repair with an Easy checl.
heavily damaged droids require one hour to repair with a Difficult check.
Severely damaged droids require two hours to repair with a Very Difficult check.
Nearly Obliterated Droids require two hours and a heroic check, since there doesn't seem to be any gradation above that.

I think your "adding until you get the total value" is a good method, though I would say use the above as your guide. If you're not a very good droid mechanic, you might not want to try a Very Difficult check. Instead, you try several Easy checks.... but each is going to cost 15% of the droid's cost, and you're going to need around 5 of them to total as much difficulty as a single very difficult check. I'd base the time for each check on the level of damage, though, so those Easy checks you're making will be 2 hours each. Instead of 1 Very Difficult Check that costs 35% of the droid's cost and two hours, you're looking at 5 Easy checks that cost 75% of the Droid's cost and 10 hours.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen it like Purzelkater does. If you fail, your next attempt shifts the time up one category.
So if it takes you 3 rolls (two failures and a success) to get the job done, then its 1 day, 1 hr 15 min to get the job complete.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread, OP, but it's sort of relevant..

I've been looking for a "hasty repair" rule, but haven't been able to find any. I want my tech-PC to be able to patch things up during starship combat, but using rounds, not minutes, so repair rolls can be a part of a dramatic chase. I'm thinking 1 round for light damage, and the repair will only hold for a little while. Kinda the equivalent to using your hand to stop a bleeding until you have chance to put on a bandage.

Does anything like this already exist? If not, I'll start a thread in the House Rules section with my suggestion.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've always seen it like Purzelkater does. If you fail, your next attempt shifts the time up one category.
So if it takes you 3 rolls (two failures and a success) to get the job done, then its 1 day, 1 hr 15 min to get the job complete.

I believe this is RAW. If you fail, the next attempt takes longer.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:

I've been looking for a "hasty repair" rule, but haven't been able to find any. I want my tech-PC to be able to patch things up during starship combat, but using rounds, not minutes, so repair rolls can be a part of a dramatic chase. I'm thinking 1 round for light damage, and the repair will only hold for a little while. Kinda the equivalent to using your hand to stop a bleeding until you have chance to put on a bandage.

Does anything like this already exist? If not, I'll start a thread in the House Rules section with my suggestion.

I don't know of anything official, but I think a good compromise would be to Jury-Rig a repair. Making up difficulties, I would say it takes 1 round to Jury Rig a repair, and that repair will last for (Technical die) rounds, and it will only remove a single penalty... you're still that badly damaged, you just get to ignore that penalty for a few rounds.

Difficulty, not time, for jury-rigs is based on the level of damage. If you are lightly damaged several times, you have to repair each one separately.

Lightly Damaged Difficult
Heavily Damaged Very Difficlt
Severely Damaged Heroic

So, let's say your ship has been Lightly Damaged twice (-1D Shields and -1 Move), and Heavily Damaged once (Hyperdrive Damaged). You have Technical of 3D and Starship repair of 6D. There's still a couple pirates about, so you want to see lines, and start punching the hyperdrive, using words of mystical power to make it work. This is a Very Difficult task, and it takes you a round to try. If you fail without complication, then you're going to have to punch it some more. If you succeed, then for 3 rounds, your ship ignores the Hyperdrive Damaged result... which MIGHT be enough time for you to jump the Big L and get away.

A side effect of this is that droids, who generally have low attributes, are not very good at jury-rigging. The might be great at repairs, but between their inability to blow a force point, and their lower attributes, they don't do well when the pressure is on.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In cannon, R2-D2 is making repairs to Luke's X-Wing on the fly in the Death Star Trench run in ANH.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I run jury-rigging for in-combat quick repairs:

- jury rigged repairs do not give bonuses, they only restore lost performance due to damage. Shields, maneuverability, etc.
- difficulty and time of jury rig repair depends upon the condition of the vessel:
shields blown: moderate / 2 rounds
lightly damaged: difficult / 3 rounds
heavily damaged: very difficult / 4 rounds
severely damaged: heroic / 5 rounds
- jury rigged repairs do not alter the condition of the vessel to improve the difficulty for further jury rigged repairs.
- no more than 1D of lost performance may be restored at a time.
- no more than 3D may be restored total.
- if a 1 is rolled on a restored die that restored die is automatically lost in addition to the results of the standard mishap roll.
- if a 1 is rolled on the mishap table not only does the vessel shut down but it also suffers damage equal to the most recent hit received... i.e. lightly dmg, heavily dmg, etc.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Straxus wrote:

I don't know of anything official, but I think a good compromise would be to Jury-Rig a repair. Making up difficulties, I would say it takes 1 round to Jury Rig a repair, and that repair will last for (Technical die) rounds, and it will only remove a single penalty... you're still that badly damaged, you just get to ignore that penalty for a few rounds.

Difficulty, not time, for jury-rigs is based on the level of damage. If you are lightly damaged several times, you have to repair each one separately.

Lightly Damaged Difficult
Heavily Damaged Very Difficlt
Severely Damaged Heroic

So, let's say your ship has been Lightly Damaged twice (-1D Shields and -1 Move), and Heavily Damaged once (Hyperdrive Damaged). You have Technical of 3D and Starship repair of 6D. There's still a couple pirates about, so you want to see lines, and start punching the hyperdrive, using words of mystical power to make it work. This is a Very Difficult task, and it takes you a round to try. If you fail without complication, then you're going to have to punch it some more. If you succeed, then for 3 rounds, your ship ignores the Hyperdrive Damaged result... which MIGHT be enough time for you to jump the Big L and get away.

A side effect of this is that droids, who generally have low attributes, are not very good at jury-rigging. The might be great at repairs, but between their inability to blow a force point, and their lower attributes, they don't do well when the pressure is on.

Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines. Is there any other jury-rigging rules in RAW except in the Rebel Field Guide?

It should be very temporary repairs, using duct tape and chewing gum to just keep going a little longer before you need to stop and take your time fixing it properly. I'll make a post in the House Rules scetion when I have some time to work on it.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some kind of jury-rigging makes a lot of sense both from what we see in the films but also from the perspective of giving non-combat, non-pilot PCs something to do during ship-to-ship action.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see quick on-the-fly repairs like first aid, its a patch-up that will get you through the next few minutes because it doesn't last very long and the real work happens later.
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW that's exactly what I do with on the fly repairs: you can take one shot at a hasty patch job. If you succeed, it's duct-taped together and will operate for the rest of combat (unless the system is damaged again) but isn't actually *fixed*; permanent repair will require parts and standard time.

The jury-rigged repairs also give me something to do with 1s on the Wild Die - 'It's come loose again!'

I usually only allow one roll for this, and if you fail then basically your character can't see a way to patch it. Another character may be able to see a solution.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant Tourtiere wrote:

I usually only allow one roll for this, and if you fail then basically your character can't see a way to patch it. Another character may be able to see a solution.

That's an interesting method of doing it.. Fail and you are done for a 'jury rig fix'.. however someone else can try... Gives multiple players a chance to 'save the day'..
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I think some kind of jury-rigging makes a lot of sense both from what we see in the films but also from the perspective of giving non-combat, non-pilot PCs something to do during ship-to-ship action.

Exactly how I feel, and my main reason for thinking about it in the first place is that one of my players have a PC with a lot of repair skills. I think it can add a lot of tension to a dogfight, cinematic action and a sense of working as a team to survive.

Quote:
FWIW that's exactly what I do with on the fly repairs: you can take one shot at a hasty patch job. If you succeed, it's duct-taped together and will operate for the rest of combat (unless the system is damaged again) but isn't actually *fixed*; permanent repair will require parts and standard time.

The jury-rigged repairs also give me something to do with 1s on the Wild Die - 'It's come loose again!'

I like that, and I might add modifiers if the pc is on "his" ship, or how much random repair stuff is available. "See, I told you that would come in handy!"
tcschenks
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use the rules for quick-prepping a ship from Classic Adventures 4: The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal (page 15) or Star Wars Adventure Journal #1 (page 261)...only assuming the damage result was a light damage 15 minute job, and only useable once per particular hit, using Repair instead of Piloting.

Quote:
In situations where the characters do not have time to properly power up the ship (normally taking several minutes), the characters must make a starship piloting skill roll to prepare the ship for flight. (Again, the characters can combine actions for the task, but every character involved will be occupied until the ship is ready to fly...) The result of the skill roll determines how long it takes the characters to prepare the ship.

Result of Roll = Time
Very Easy (1-5) = 10 rounds
Easy (6-10) = 8 rounds
Moderate (11-15) = 6 rounds
Difficult (15+) = 4 rounds

Personally, I would allow 2 rounds with a Very Difficult (21-30) roll; 1 round with a Heroic (31+) roll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: