The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue One (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rogue One (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I loved this movie, and while watching it, even though I still haven't played a D6 campaign, I kept thinking to myself "This must be what a TPK looks like..."

I liked the morally grey characters. I liked that they were regular joes, rather than super-powered space monks. And I liked that the film showed the grittier side of the war. I want to see more of that, and more of the gritty side of the Star Wars universe, just as much as I want to see the big, heroic stuff.

I share these sentiments. The Disney movies, for any of their faults have been more emotionally stirring that most of the movies of the past. Rogue One had me at tears by the end, even though I was expecting them all to die, the manner in which they sacrificed themselves for the mission.

The only Classic Movie that actually stirs that type of reaction was Return of the Jedi, when Luke and Vader were dueling in the Emperor's Throne Room.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

I share these sentiments. The Disney movies, for any of their faults have been more emotionally stirring that most of the movies of the past.

Exact opposite for me: can't get emotionally invested in any of the main characters who are motivated by selfish reasons (revenge, for example). Finn had a conscience, which made him relatable: despite how annoying I found him, I was still rooting for him.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Naaman wrote:
I honestly feel that the movie just sucks.

Wow. Everybody has their own opinion. I respect that. I just don't share the sentiment.

I think Rogue One is better than just good. And, it is Shakespeare compared to the prequels.

Is it as good as I wanted it to be? No. It's not as good as A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. But, it's way better than Jedi. And, I like it about the same as The Force Awakens.

If they keep making the Star Wars films to at least this quality, I'll be a happy camper.

No gripes about the quality from me. Only the lameness of the characters.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, but Finn is my least favorite. I find him annoying.

Jyn? I just feel sorry for her. Poor thing.

And, Rey? She's awesome.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

And, Rey? She's awesome.

With Jyn... I think the writers knew that she was not compelling enough, so they forced that scene in where she jumps into the crossfire to save that random little girl crying.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see Rogue One, my opinion of the film increases.

I'm Monday morning quarterbacking this, but, imo, the film needs one more action set piece. The problem, I think, with this film is that it starts as a drama and remains that way for a good stretch. It's not until we get to Jedha that we see some good Star Wars action.

A New Hope is like this, too, but it starts with the fight between the Star Destroyer and the Tantive IV, cutting to the battle inside the ship as the two droids try to escape. RO needs something like this.

Maybe: An action scene showing how adult Rey got captured by the Empire and sent to the Imperial Prison Colony on Wobani. We see whatever she's doing, then the fight with the stormtroopers and then Jyn at Wobani, thinking back to how it all began. We cut to how the film starts, with Krennic going to see Galen with Jyn as a child.

Or, catching up with the flashback at Eadu would be quite dramatic, mixing that with the emotions of seeing her father, him alive in flashback, and him lying there dead at Eadu and mentioned the mystery of the Death Star flaw. From Eadu forward, the film plays just like it does in real life.

In this case, the action scene at the beginning is the attack and crash on Eadu. Flashback with Jyn. Then, once we catch up to present time on Eadu again, the film plays as it does.

I'm sure there are several other hundred ways to add some more action to the first part of the film that I'm not thinking about, but that's what it needs--an action set-piece right off the bat, before we settle into the drama of Jyn's past.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the scene where the Rogue One crew takes the shuttle through the Shield Gate the first time, there's a close up on the control tower. Outside is a catwalk. And, walking, outside, is a stormtrooper, open to space!

He looks to be in normal trooper armor, but obviously, it is pressurized. I'm sure arty grav is produced by the station.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

And, Rey? She's awesome.

With Jyn... I think the writers knew that she was not compelling enough, so they forced that scene in where she jumps into the crossfire to save that random little girl crying.

I read that as Jyn seeing herself in the girl, and running to protect herself the way people weren't around really to protect her. She had a horrible childhood, watched the trauma of her mother being killed and god knows what happening to her father, only to be rescued by Saw Guerrera, after which we don't know much about her life (although I can't imagine it was good).

But seeing a little girl, crying and alone in the middle of violence? Jyn knows exactly what that feels like.

Anyway, I like that the characters are motivated by selfish or impure reasons. I found that interesting, particularly when set against the more selfless acts of sacrifice at the end. That's a character arc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
During the scene where the Rogue One crew takes the shuttle through the Shield Gate the first time, there's a close up on the control tower. Outside is a catwalk. And, walking, outside, is a stormtrooper, open to space!

He looks to be in normal trooper armor, but obviously, it is pressurized. I'm sure arty grav is produced by the station.

I don't remember seeing that. Got a screen cap?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Nope. Just cut to the moment that the Rogue One crew take the stolen shuttle down into the Shield Gate, when they are waiting on the code clearance.

Oh, wait, here it is...

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. Interesting find. Maybe there's an atmospheric shield around those control towers.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Nope. Just cut to the moment that the Rogue One crew take the stolen shuttle down into the Shield Gate, when they are waiting on the code clearance.

Oh, wait, here it is...

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

Hey, that image is from a guy at the RPF! I know him!
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my review of Rogue One from when I saw it in the theater:

It was noisy and violent and “badass” without any heart. The characters were unlikable. It would have been nice to see them interacting a little more, but it never seemed like there was enough time (poor pacing?). Cassian Andor’s supposed arc was incoherent, as was the rest of the script. I prefer the bright-eyed, optimistic Rebellion as portrayed in the OT, not this version where everyone is dirty and ugly and cruel. I preferred Alec Guinness’s calm portrayal of the Force over the two Jedha temple guardians who apparently thought it was totally sweet to mow down dozens and dozens of stormtroopers. The soundtrack was uninspired—even the PT didn’t mess THAT up… though I think TFA did. But TFA was undeniably a lovingly crafted and memorable visual treat, whereas R1 was back to the cartoony look-and-feel of the PT. Persistent, almost relentless inclusion of characters/tech/locales from the OT was just eyerollingly trying too hard, and never looked or felt quite right. I didn’t see the need for the Death Star’s flaw to be intentional; it makes all their accomplishments in Star Wars (1977) seem predestined and unremarkable, when in fact, in the context of that film, they already have a one-in-a-million chance.

All in all, a lot of fanservice and little artistry.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the Death Star flaw.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the soundtrack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 25 of 30

Jump to: