The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wookies: Up or Down?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Wookies: Up or Down?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Wookies: Up or Down? Reply with quote

When wookies climb down trees, do they go head down or head up?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an odd, but interesting question.

Totally by instinct, with nothing to back me up, I'd say: They climb down head up.

What's their climb rate? Is it fast or slow compared to other tree climbers? If very fast--like they are masters of climbing trees and swinging on vines, maybe they go head down--or in any direction they want.

If they just have the ability to climb at a non-spectacular speed, I'd say that they climb carefully with head up while descending.

Another reason I'd think they they'd go head up is the wook's weight. Lots of stress on those claws and fingers.

Finally, if we're talking George Lucas prequel wooks, I'd say that they crawl anyway they want, like a cockroach riding across the bark.

If we're talking original trilogy or new movie wooks, I'd say that they climb with head "up" no matter which direction they climb.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say head down. Partially because I'm a contrarian, but mostly because Kashyyyk is a death world. Climbing head down means meeting any dangers at the lower (and more dangerous) levels head first. Also, there's Aussie style rappeling (or Geneva style abseiling, if you're Australian) used as an assault technique.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears, Apes and Monkeys climb down head up.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Bears, Apes and Monkeys climb down head up.

Yes, but squirrels and raccoons climb head down.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a wook closer to a bear, ape, or monkey, or closer to a squirrel or raccoon?

I still say head up.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wajeb Deb Kaadeb"]Is a wook closer to a bear, ape, or monkey, or closer to a squirrel or raccoon?[/quoet]I'd say closer to a gibbon or an orangutan.

I was hoping for head down because seeing a Wookiee head coming towards you from about would be cool, But it appears to be head up.

Here's more description.
Quote:
To understand how orangutans swing, it helps to compare them to their primate cousins, the chimpanzees. Chimpanzees pull their bodies close to the tree branch as they move, but being relatively small, they can do that without worrying about the vibrations caused by their own body weight. If orangutans behaved that way, the vibrations would build dangerously, as they do on a suspension bridge.

Instead, Thorpe and her colleagues found that orangutans move irregularly, shifting from side to side, moving backward and forward, using all four limbs at once, even walking upright on branches — all to keep disturbance to a minimum. In a way, they climb like humans might, if we were transplanted to the Sumatran jungle. "They move a bit like Tarzan in the old movies, swinging from branch to branch — only, orangutans do it like they do everything else, much more slowly," says Thorpe, whose team obtained nearly 3,000 visual observations of orangutans in motion during a yearlong study.

The orangutans' unique locomotion also helps them reduce the time and energy needed to climb. The more flexible a tree branch is, the more it will bend under an animal's weight. "That means they can lose height, and gaining height again is costly because you have to oppose gravity," points out Thorpe. When an orangutan leaps from a flexible branch it also loses motion energy — think of jumping off a pile of sand versus one of asphalt — and when they land on a flexible branch, they have to wait for the vibrations to stop before they can jump again, which costs more time.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I was hoping for head down because seeing a Wookiee head coming towards you from about would be cool...

So have them as head down in your game. It's Space Opera! Go for cool over realistic.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always gone heads up whether climbing up OR down..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, but trees in Sumatra are not like the forest giants of Kashyyyk. You're not going to get much flex in branches twice as thick as a wookie is tall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: