The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've already been seeing picks of that 160 KM Long and 300KM wide 'first order capital city ship thing.. And am Dumbfounded with the illogic in how such a thing was created..

Let's please continue discussion of this in TLJ thread. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should they have blown up Coruscant instead of Hosnian Prime in TFA?

Would it carry more weight with you--mean more--be more of a loss--if it had been Coruscant?

Or, would that change have left you hollow (the way I felt when Vulcan was destroyed in the new movie timeline for Star Trek)? Like they were messing too much with the holiest of hollies?
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Would it carry more weight with you--mean more--be more of a loss--if it had been Coruscant?

It would have had a bigger impact on the star wars fan who had seen the prequels and/or been fan of any material that have come out the last 19 years. It does have a empty kind of loss to it, because Hosnian Prime was more or less destroyed the first time it was seen/mentioned (TFA). Corusant would have been a large blow to the fanon, and some other system like Corellia could have been another compromise on impact/relevance balancing, as it have been mentioned and had ties to many characters in the SW universe but it haven't been featured in a film.

An interesting sidenote is that Corusant was first mentioned in 1997, so it became part of star wars only little before the prequels came out.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, OuttaWindu!

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I feel as if Rey's statement in TLJ of The First Order being only weeks away from winning all the major systems in the Republic would carry more verisimilitude if Coruscant had been destroyed. Hosnian Prime may be hand waived as more important to the galaxy now than Coruscant was, but it would feel more true if it were Coruscant.

This is really a symptom of a bigger issue I have with both TFA and TLJ - This Disney sequel philosophy is to only show new planets (and almost all new alien species) to try to recapture the spirit of the original trilogy when so much in Star Wars was new. I get it, and I do still expect new planets and aliens in every single film just like Lucas' movies had. But the extreme that Disney takes it opposes the inherent sense of a shared universe with shared continuity that I love about Star Wars, and all my franchises. I love TFA but there could be more things to tie it in with the prior films.

Supporters of all the newness say it helps them feel like it is a bigger galaxy. I have a really huge imagination and it is easy for me to imagine a large galaxy. In the Republic/Imperial Senate there were over 1000 pods that would have mostly carried species we never saw. I'm ok with not seeing them all because I can easily imagine the diversity. It's a little harder for me to feel that these different films with some different screenplay writers and directors that were filmed at different times with some different actors for the same characters are all a part of one single universe, and some reoccurring planets and even background species help with that. This is even more important for the Disney movies but they aren't even trying to find a balance. They are all in with the newness and big universe.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Or, would that change have left you hollow (the way I felt when Vulcan was destroyed in the new movie timeline for Star Trek)? Like they were messing too much with the holiest of hollies?

I don't feel that way but sorry you do. I feel that the loss of Vulcan makes the Alternate-Spock character and the Alternate timeline more interesting. The Alternate timeline uses TOS characters in new and fresh ways. Unlike the new Star Trek films, Disney is trying to pass off the Sequel Trilogy as a few decades later in the same timeline as the Lucas saga.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole thing was my least favorite part of TFA, I think, that on one hand I prefer just to forget all about it, in which case I’m that it’s just some planets we never heard about before and to which the characters don’t even have an established connection.

On the other hand, if I were going to try to fix that whole sequence, probably making it a planet we cared about would be a good place to start. Coruscant or maybe Mon Calamari would be the way to go, for sure. There would have to be a bunch of other things to change, though.

It’s true, though, I might have had the “Vulcan” feeling about it. It’s a little different, though. For one thing, we are in the “future” of the OT, so, it’s not like we’re messing up the OT. Secondly, I never liked stories taking place on Coruscant. Star Wars always felt more Star Warsey when it was taking place on the Outer Rim. However, for that matter, Star Trek always felt most Star Trekey when it was taking place on the Final Frontier. Vulcan was a cool place to visit, though, because it had a “sword & planet” feel to it that meshed well. It didn’t feel like the Mission was ending when they visited there.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starkiller Beam

Well, an explanation of how the beam fired from Starkiller base can be viewed in other systems after the weapon enters hyperspace.

Evidently, the junior novelization of the movie states that the beam itself interacts in hyperspace in such a way that its contemporaneous point in real space is made to glow.

It's a type of hyperspace tracer.

This sounds like an unexpected side effect.

I wonder if this effect lead to the hyperspace tracker used in TLJ.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer my Infinite Improbability Cannon explanation.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I prefer my Infinite Improbability Cannon explanation.

You have your Cannon explanation, and then there's the Canon explanation! Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least it wasn't an improbability drive Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: