The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Presence (experimental house-ruled Force power)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Presence (experimental house-ruled Force power)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Force Presence (experimental house-ruled Force power) Reply with quote

Force Presence

Control difficulty: Difficult
Sense difficulty: Moderate
Alter difficulty: Difficult

This power may be “kept up”.

Effect
It is possible, even easy, to gain a Dark Side Point while using this power. While it is kept up, Force presence allows the user to project a certain type of personal Force signature or degree of sensitivity to the Force. For example, he or she may wish to appear on the light side of the force, but only weakly sensitive to it, so as to not draw attention to himself (though he may in effect be quite powerful.) A user might also use this power to project a modest or even powerful Dark Side feel to gain the trust of a Sith. The user may also opt to appear completely insensitive to the Force or just barely so. Since the usage of this power is basically unlimited, it can be a quick path to the Dark Side unless the user checks and rechecks his or her motivations for using it any given way.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a last sentence to help clarify how one must pay attention or they can get easy DSP's.

Anyone have any feedback? I'm getting crickets here...lol.

The power doesn't break the game, is actually pretty specific and difficult, needs to be kept up (so MAP's apply), and is perilously tempting. I think it meets all the requirements for a decent Force power which is not out of the purview of the Jedi or the Sith.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I invoke my Sith necromancy power. I happened across this thread while I was looking for something else entirely. I am confused by this power. Some examples by the OP of how and when it would be used would help alleviate my confusion.

It seems like it is supposed to block some existing Sense powers. These powers come to mind:
    Life Detection. Use Force Presence to conceal whether you have Force skills or is Force-sensitive.
    Projective Telepathy. Use Force Presence to mislead others about your emotions. Is that part of a "Force Signature"?
    Receptive Telepathy.Would it conceal surface thoughts and emotions from others?
    Sense Force Potential. Use Force Presence to conceal or mislead others about your Force potential.

Could it also work on these powers?
    Life Bond. It seems unlikely that a power like this would deceive a life bonded partner. Is being able to do so intended?
    Sense Force. Doesn't appear to apply since it "cannot be used to specifically detect sentient beings." Though perhaps the power could be used to fake a connection to the Light or Dark side of the Force.
    Am I missing some other powers that this is supposed to fool?

Other Comments and Questions
    1. How and why does using this power results in a DSP? Does that depend on how it is used or what the user projects?
    2. Is this power directed at a specific target or is it supposed to be some general projected auro that affects everyone who tries to sense the user?
    3. It seems too powerful if the abilities of others don't matter.
    4. If it is a general aura, it seems odd that Sense is a required skill.
    5. It seems incorrect that none of the difficulties have modifiers. Affect Mind (which seems like it might be a somewhat related power) has its Control difficulty modified by proximity, its Sense difficulty is the target's Control or Perception, and the Alter difficulty is modified by how extensive are the changes attempted.
    6. The degree of difference between the user's true Presence and the Presence he is trying to project should modify or set the Alter difficulty.
    7. Comparing to Aura of Uneasiness (AoU) which also sounds like it has some similarities to Project Presence we see that AoU is a Sith discipline that costs the user a Dark Side Point and all AoU does is project a field of vague discomfort and unease that affects non-sentient creatures. Force Presence affects sentient beings and the effect seems a more significant change or effect than simple unease or discomfort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: