The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What’s wrong with the Wild Die?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What’s wrong with the Wild Die? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
In Star Wars, I’m mostly seeking a movie-like genre emulation so I am less concerned with effects strictly following from appropriate causes.

That's a good point. In the past, I've always been skewed towards more simulationism. I'm much better equipped, mentally, to handle a movie-like genre today than I was years ago when I was playing a lot of Star Wars.

Quote:
And in turn, I expect that the GM should not abuse the players’ trust.

Yeah, I keep most things from players. They hardly ever see a roll I make. I do this to keep the drama high. I want them living the game through my description rather than learning results from a die throw.

If I ever use Complications again, I'll just have to re-think how I would use them effectively.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

My players wouldn't think that fair. They're not easy going when it comes to their characters. We are heavy roleplayers, and the players most often get extremely invested in their characters.

So, if Jack rolls a 1, and I can't think of anything, and I say, "Remove the 1 and the highest." Then, Peter rolls a 1, and I still can't think of anything, and I say, "Remove the 1 and the highest."

Freddy won't like it when, as he rolls a 1, I say, "You feel your handle on your blaster getting warm! The powerpack is malfunctioning and may explode!" taking away the character's only weapon. Freddy will say, "Why does that have to happen to me? The only thing that happened to Peter and Jack is that they rolled lower--and Jack still hit!"

We can't really do much to help with that issue.. Players like that are going to see 'favoritism/ganking over' even if you tried to give all 3 a complication in that manner, but each complication was different cause each of the 3 were using different skills..

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

The other thing about Complications...

They should be tied to the skill where the complication is rolled. If you roll a Complication on your Sneak roll, then accidentally stepping on a downed branch and making a snapping noise is valid. It goes with the Sneak roll.

Exactly. Some of those examples i used above showed that..
Or others i've used.. On a complication when using comms, you feedback your own earpiece.
On a computer use complication, you just booted yourself out of the system.
On a sensors complication, congrats you just sneezed over the screen and now see 'dozens' of dots (the snot!).
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Players like that are going to see 'favoritism/ganking over' even if you tried to give all 3 a complication in that manner, but each complication was different cause each of the 3 were using different skills..

I've found that they prefer if I make lists before the game, that way, it's a roll of the dice--not me picking their character to get the short end of the stick.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I've found that they prefer if I make lists before the game, that way, it's a roll of the dice--not me picking their character to get the short end of the stick.
They must love Runequest Fumbles. Laughing
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played Runequest. Was always an AD&D guy. But, I think I missed out. Runequest looks like something I'd dig, since I'm a simulationist at heart.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you would like it. It's probably my favorite fantasy rule set. It had a D100 fumble table which is what I figured your players would like.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Players like that are going to see 'favoritism/ganking over' even if you tried to give all 3 a complication in that manner, but each complication was different cause each of the 3 were using different skills..

So you what, roll a die to see how many and whom gets complications before game??
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
garhkal wrote:

So you what, roll a die to see how many and whom gets complications before game??

No. I roll when the complication occurs. They just feel that is less personal than me deciding on the spot, whippity-doo, that THIS HAPPENS TO THEIR CHARACTER because of the complication. Not all complications are equal--at least they haven't been when I made them up. I just used what came to me.

If it's an equal chance for anybody to get the complication, as with rolling on a list, then they don't feel like I'm singling them out for some crappy complication.

I get where they are coming from.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fare enough..

What are some of the complications you HAVE had come up?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I get where they are coming from.
Me too. And I can see the appeal from the GM side. And for other settings I'd do that. I just don't think it's necessary for Star Wars and it feels like way too much work.

If you want the complication to relate to the skill, then you need a predefined complication for every skill. And if you don't want the same complication occurring every time that particular skill has a complication, then you need six (or more) complications for every skill. And now you have at least two pages listing 1D6 complication tables by skill. Too much work for me, but I can see how some folks would enjoy that more than GM improvised complications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: