The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I homebrewed a race-Mygara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> I homebrewed a race-Mygara
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpkeyes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: I homebrewed a race-Mygara Reply with quote

The concept behind these guys is basically 'The combat race that can also be a technical guy depending on the player'. They are meant to be very tough, hard to kill, but primitive in a way.

Mygara
A ‘servant’ race of the Empire/Evil nation of your setting that hail from the stone world of Marsuta. Despite commonly being mercenaries and used as expendable shock troops by the Ragon, Mygara culture is based around ‘The Stone’. Mygara believe that they were forged by ‘The Stone’ as it’s workmen and repairmen, thus all Mygara are very good at masonry.

Mygara average around seven feet in height. They are also very, very tough, being known to keep fighting through wounds that would kill even a Ragon. The only species that surpasses them is the Yisuta who are pacifist. Women are also rarely seen, and rarer than men. The ratio is said to be between 50 to 1 to just 12 to 1. Because of this, women are often kept on Marsuta, through they hold great control over what occurs on the planet . Female Mygara are also much shorter, often only being around 6 ft tall at most.
Homeworld-Marsuta
Dexetrity-1D/4D
Knowledged-1D/3D
Mechanical-3D/5D
Strength-2D/5D+2
Technical-2D/4D
Special Abilities
Stone-like skin-Mygara skin is naturally very tough and damage resistant. Add +2D to soak, but remove -1D from dodge due to the weight and height of the Mygara.
Bulky Frame-Mygara cannot put on armor unless it is either custom built or is a Mygara design. All non-Mygara armor must be custom built with the cost doubled.
Story Features
Reputation:Many think of the Mygara nothing more than mercenaries and shock troops. The player can choose to indulge this stereotype or go against it.
Majority Male-Female Mygara are rare, making them a very sacred resource. If the player wishes to play a female Mygara, lower the strength die to 4D and increase knowledge to 4D. Male Mygara also tend to follow a female's orders without question and the PC is likely in a position of great power and prestige.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea. Have you considered raising the minimum Strength a few pips? Or do you want there to be a lower threshold of "merely" 2D?
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems a bit lacking in background. i would kinda need more info just to stat them out properly. but based on what youve provided so far i would adjust the stats as follows:

Name: Mygara
Homeworld: Marsuta
DICE: 12D
DEX: 1D / 3D
KNOW: 1D / 3D
MECH: 2D / 4D
PERC: 2D/ 4D
STR: 3D+2 / 5D+2
TECH 2D / 4D

Special:
Stone-like hide: +2D physical resist, +1D energy resist
Bulky Size: 2x armor costs, personal armor must be custom built
Majority Male: females are extremely rare on their homeworld and practically non-existent throughout the galaxy.

Size: 2.0 - 2.2 meters
Move: 10 / 12

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So high str, naturally high armor, and little down side other than double cost for armor.. Seems a little too strong to me.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty outrageously strong. Throwing that much strength can let you laugh off blasters. That's before you account for levels of natural armor that equal a Stormtrooper.

Excessive sexual dimorphism can be uncomfortable.

I don't mind more big races. I'm kind of a Herglic fan and like spinning up Near-Herglic races. Maybe tone down their strength level, give bonuses to building solid things - structural engineering. Include a bit of fiction about how a small number were enslaved to work alongside Wookiees on the Death Star.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So high str, naturally high armor, and little down side other than double cost for armor.. Seems a little too strong to me.

Seems a lot too powerful to me.

Jachra wrote:
Pretty outrageously strong. Throwing that much strength can let you laugh off blasters. That's before you account for levels of natural armor that equal a Stormtrooper.

Right!

Jachra wrote:
Excessive sexual dimorphism can be uncomfortable.

LOL. Right.

thedemonapostle wrote:
seems a bit lacking in background. i would kinda need more info just to stat them out properly. but based on what youve provided so far i would adjust the stats as follows:

DEX: 1D / 3D
KNOW: 1D / 3D
MECH: 2D / 4D
PERC: 2D/ 4D
STR: 3D+2 / 5D+2
TECH 2D / 4D

Special:
Stone-like hide: +2D physical resist, +1D energy resist
Bulky Size: 2x armor costs, personal armor must be custom built
Majority Male: females are extremely rare on their homeworld and practically non-existent throughout the galaxy.

Size: 2.0 - 2.2 meters
Move: 10 / 12

That's more reasonable.

Naaman wrote:
Have you considered raising the minimum Strength a few pips? Or do you want there to be a lower threshold of "merely" 2D?

I'd go with a 2D+1 min Strength for this concept. Even the weakest ones would still get a bonus to damage resistance on top of that.

Cpkeyes wrote:
The concept behind these guys is basically 'The combat race that can also be a technical guy depending on the player'. They are meant to be very tough, hard to kill, but primitive in a way.

Mygara
A ‘servant’ race of the Empire/Evil nation of your setting that hail from the stone world of Marsuta. Despite commonly being mercenaries and used as expendable shock troops by the Ragon, Mygara culture is based around ‘The Stone’. Mygara believe that they were forged by ‘The Stone’ as it’s workmen and repairmen, thus all Mygara are very good at masonry.

Mygara average around seven feet in height. They are also very, very tough, being known to keep fighting through wounds that would kill even a Ragon. The only species that surpasses them is the Yisuta who are pacifist. Women are also rarely seen, and rarer than men. The ratio is said to be between 50 to 1 to just 12 to 1. Because of this, women are often kept on Marsuta, through they hold great control over what occurs on the planet . Female Mygara are also much shorter, often only being around 6 ft tall at most.
Homeworld-Marsuta
Dexetrity-1D/4D
Knowledged-1D/3D
Mechanical-3D/5D
Strength-2D/5D+2
Technical-2D/4D
Special Abilities
Stone-like skin-Mygara skin is naturally very tough and damage resistant. Add +2D to soak, but remove -1D from dodge due to the weight and height of the Mygara.
Bulky Frame-Mygara cannot put on armor unless it is either custom built or is a Mygara design. All non-Mygara armor must be custom built with the cost doubled.
Story Features
Reputation:Many think of the Mygara nothing more than mercenaries and shock troops. The player can choose to indulge this stereotype or go against it.
Majority Male-Female Mygara are rare, making them a very sacred resource. If the player wishes to play a female Mygara, lower the strength die to 4D and increase knowledge to 4D. Male Mygara also tend to follow a female's orders without question and the PC is likely in a position of great power and prestige.

So stonelike skin with a whopping +2D bonus to damage resistance, and the same max Dex as humans in RAW (and probably your game too)? I don't think the -1D to Dodge is nearly enough to to prevent this race from being ridiculously overpowered. I would drop the max Dex to 3D tops, and drop the damage resistance to +1D tops (maybe even +1D physical and +2 pips energy). And custom armor? Their skin IS armor. I would suggest no armor, period.

And in what way are these guys primitive with a human max or higher in Technical and Mechanical? And there's nothing in your description referring to that outrageous max Mechanical. 5D Mechanical pilots would be some of the best in the galaxy, and that does not seem to be the concept you are going for. I would suggest lowering the max Mechanical to 4D and max Technical to 3D+2.

PCs of this species presumably only get 18D for attributes so there is really no need for such high maxes. The more 5D+ max attributes you have, the more munchkins PCs you could have. And BTW, you left out Perception.

Jachra wrote:
I don't mind more big races. I'm kind of a Herglic fan and like spinning up Near-Herglic races. Maybe tone down their strength level, give bonuses to building solid things - structural engineering. Include a bit of fiction about how a small number were enslaved to work alongside Wookiees on the Death Star.

I'd be very interested in seeing your near-Herglic races if you would like to share in another thread or PM.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something i didn't think of.. If they are supposed to be very primitive, why such a high Tech and Mech base and max?
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me if i were going to do a species similar i would write out a background providing a brief summary of the history and maybe something of the species biology all to aid in providing detailed stats. otherwise all you get is another barabel or wookie look a like.

but for these guys i would ask the following questions:
they have a stone like hide, why? what is their world like that required their species to have their skin be like that? is it a magma/lava covered world? if so would it not make more sense for them to have the same or similar stats as a similar species such as the Vaathkree?
if their skin is as tough as youd like it to be, how do they still have the potential to be as agile as the most agile human? their knowledge is fine where its at, maybe add a pip. but mechanical is way too high especially for a shock trooper. everything about their physical make up says they should have a mechanical at least 1D lower all around, if not more. their strength minimum seems low but thats ok, but their max is way too high with the way everything else is. their strength says high G world but their height says low G world. it looks to me that youre trying for both. pick one and go with it. in my opinion their technical should be somewhere between knowledge and mechanical. its not required by any means whatsoever, but for a species that obviously focuses mainly on their physical strength, the mental characteristics will tend to suffer as a result.

ok, heres something to consider, if the species is a physically focused species, it is possible to have a high DEX and high STR. barabel is my example in that regard. but as a side effect all other abilities will be lower just like the barabel.
so if youre dead set on having a high dex and a high str, you must reduce the other 4 attributes as well.

but heres a revised version:

DEX: 2D / 4D
KNOW: 1D+1 / 3D+1
MECH: 1D+2 / 3D+2
PERC: 1D+1/ 3D+1
STR: 3D / 5D
TECH 1D+1 / 3D+1

Special:
Stone-like hide: +2D physical resist, +1D energy resist, +2D to Resist heat/fire
Reputation: known as powerful soldiers and many after their military service became mercenaries. most mygara encountered in the galaxy will be mercenaries.
Majority Male: due to their unique biology, mygara give birth to a female only once out of every 36 births on average. due to their rarity, females tend to be held to a higher value in every manner than males. males instinctively follow the commands of female mygara.
Cold Sensitive: Suffers 2x damage from cold and cold based attacks.
Bulky: Due to their large size, Mygara suffer a -1D penalty to all skills that utilize equipment designed for standard sized races. this penalty can be removed if the mygara uses gear customized for them. also, any armor worn by mygara will have an additional -1D to the dex penalty until the armor is fully customized for the mygara. if the armor has no dex penalty it is considered to be a -1D until it is customized.
Stone Masons: All Mygara receive +2D to all skill checks regarding stone working/ stonecrafting

Size: 2.0 - 2.4 meters
Move: 11 / 14

Brief Description
basically a species that evolved on a very hot world. this world is mostly covered in lava much in the same way earth is mostly covered in water. their society is a matriarchy. all mygara are considered great stone masons. their religion revolves around worshiping The Stone, their deity. since space is cold mygara avoid space exploration as they have not advanced technologically far enough to develop adequate space exploration gear. as a result of their slow technological advances they were easily defeated by several other space faring races, who, in turn used the mygara as shock troopers. males tend to have a low self worth and are more than willing to die to fully execute the orders of a mygara female. because of their great size/bulk, mygara have difficulty using equipment designed for a standard sized species. this causes them great consternation but many get around it by personally customizing their equipment but due to their limited intelligence their customizations tend to be crude, often reducing the effectiveness of the equipment in question.

ok, thats it, thats my final take on it. i gave it my all, had to flesh out the specifics myself,

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Cpkeyes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried so this post will be a bit...confusing, perhaps.

My idea behind these guys is despite the fact they look, act and for all intent and purposes logically should be just another 'strong warrior race',they are actually more builders who are just very deeply religious and not advance enough to have a say in things. This race has gone through several iterations, hell they used be stupid Guerillas.

But Mygara are not stupid. It's kind of like bringing a tribal elder to a European scholar, they just have different styles of living....that probably made no sense.

But basically, I was trying to make a race that could either be the big bad warrior of the party, or the silent big guy who tinkers with things. I just wasn't sure how to stat it.

Sorry if you have no idea what I am saying, I am sick and it's late. But thank you all.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of a stony species that has a separate side to it (in this case, The Deal): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vaathkree_(species)

Here's their stats: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vaathkree_(Species)

In particular:

Attribute Dice: 12D

DEXTERITY 1D/3D

KNOWLEDGE 1D/4D

MECHANICAL 2D/4D

PERCEPTION 2D/5D

STRENGTH 2D/4D+2

TECHNICAL 1D/3D+1

Special Abilities:

Natural Body Armor: Vaathkree, due to their peculiar metabolisms, have natural body armor. It provides STR+2D against physical attacks and STR+1D against energy attacks.

Trade Language: The Vaathkree have created a strange, constantly changing trade language that they use to communicate back and forth between each other during business dealings. Since most deals are successful when one side has a key piece of information that the other side lacks, the trade language evolved tosafeguard such information during negotiations. Non-Vaathkree trying to decipher trade language may make an opposed languages roll against the Vaathkree, but suffer a +15 penalty modifier.

Story Factors:

Trade Culture: The Vaathkree are fanatic hagglers. Most adult Vaathkree have at least 2D in Bargain or Con (or both).

Oh, and they have a Move of 6 / 11.

---

Anyhow, this shows how one can have damage resistance as well as story factors that build the culture or particularly significant aspects of the culture of whichever alien one is describing.

Another way of allowing a more 'philosophical' build, to put it that way, might be to have a two for one deal on certain skills (like for instance Duros), or grant bonus skill dice.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpkeyes wrote:

My idea behind these guys is despite the fact they look, act and for all intent and purposes logically should be just another 'strong warrior race',they are actually more builders who are just very deeply religious and not advance enough to have a say in things. This race has gone through several iterations, hell they used be stupid Guerillas.

But Mygara are not stupid. It's kind of like bringing a tribal elder to a European scholar, they just have different styles of living....that probably made no sense.

But what we are saying is that you are trying to make them TOO good with no real down sides..
Cpkeyes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Cpkeyes wrote:

But what we are saying is that you are trying to make them TOO good with no real down sides..

I understand that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: